X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployed...awesome

So, I found out that I no longer have a job. Here is the story:

I went to my (now former) place of work to hand in my availability. I asked for Sunrise (the scheduling manager) only to find out that she was transferred to another store. I asked for the scheduling manager and explained that I work there and am on leave. I was then informed that because we changed management, I was no longer employed and would have to go in for an interview, which I am not guaranteed my job back and probably won't get back.

Awesome. That's cool. Thanks for the notice. You couldn't tell me sooner, like I dunno, the moment you decided that I was no longer an employee?

I don't know what I am going to do, since my availability is limited to December-January and May-August. I am really upset about this whole thing. I really don't want to try to be re-hired there if this is how they treat people. I know I always talked about quitting, but I was hoping to have a job already lined up before doing so.

Just UGH!
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Isn't it so nice that they didn't even bother to call you and let you know that you were no longer working there?

Wow. What bad news.

Hun, come work with me
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Aww. Man. So sorry.

Come work with me and you can assist me in verbal bitchslappery of sucky customers and coworkers.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I dunno what laws are where you are but even casual/part-timers are due notice of termination.
        It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Have you tried calling your company's coorporate and asking WTF happened? Just b/c theres been a management change doent mean everyone gets fired. That makes no sense.

Im sorry.

Quoth patiokitty View Post

I would look into your local labour laws to see if what they did was even legal. If a person is on leave I didn't think it was permitted for them to have their position terminated.
          Its not really considered "leave". She wasnt out for a medical issue or anything like that, thats legally protected. I guess they'd consider her a seasonal worker, but still, I dont agree that they handled it right either.
          Last edited by Dave1982; 11-27-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Come work with me at NCO. I am a skiptracer and lover tracking down deatbeats and collecting from the. A lot people whine about NCO at my3cents dot com.

After almost seven years a member then moderator, I have less compassion for these customers who always feel entitled!!

Comment

I can't call corporate because switching management meant switching from corporate to franchise. Oh well. I'm done with that place. I just need to find a different job when I come home for Winter Break.
              "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

Comment

If you were on short term or long term disability or family medical leave, that's illegal.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I was on school leave, which before, was not a problem.

I don't have a problem with them letting me go. I have a huge problem with them just NOW telling me and they probably wouldn't have told me if I didn't go there to hand in my availability. If they would have told me sooner, I could have found a job BEFORE Winter Break. Now I have to wait until Winter Break to go job searching.

Comment

than that's just a really sucking thing for them to do. I'm sorry to hear that.

Hopefully you'll find another job quickly that you enjoy.
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Definitely go for unemployment...since you were terminated without cause, you should be a shoo-in.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                        Definitely go for unemployment...since you were terminated without cause, you should be a shoo-in.
                        I heard I couldn't because I am a student...or maybe my mom got it wrong. If she is wrong, I will definitely apply. I really need to save up more for school.

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
                          I heard I couldn't because I am a student...or maybe my mom got it wrong. If she is wrong, I will definitely apply. I really need to save up more for school.
                          Depends.... when I was laid off I was in the process of going to school, but I was working full time and going to school part time, and I had already registered for my classes when I got laid off.

I was able to get unemployment while going to school part time.

Comment

Wow, that sucks!
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                              Look into that and read the instructions carefully as in Illinois there are exceptions for part-time and seasonal workers. If your app does go through (don't bet the rent money on it), have the taxes withheld (yes both federal and state). You don't want to know how many ended up owing or had a close call-saved by my extensive questioning on deductions and credits-last season.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X