This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for sheets

I'm just letting off steam. I just spent the entire day trying to find sheets for my dorm bed for January. The ONLY place that had Twin XL sheets was SEARS, and they are $39.99 *each* (not a set!) so that's $80 just for a freaking set of sheets!!

To make matters worse, if I lived in the US I could get a twin XL sheet *SET* from Target for $10

Its just not fair!!!
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Yeah, and for that ten bucks it would be like sleeping on cheap toilet paper.

I tell people to buy the nicest sheets they can afford. You don't have to break the bank, but do not go with the cheapest ones you can find. Good sheets will last for decades. And they will feel much more comfortable.

Comment

Of course, once you're out of a dorm, what are you gonna do with twin extra-long sheets?

Does Target.com ship to Canada? Never mind, they don't ship international. Sorry.
      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 11-28-2010, 12:10 AM.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Aw, I'm sorry, Delta! I lived in the dorm before it became so common for US stores to carry Twin XL, and it was a pain to find any that were affordable. I can't for the life of me figure out why dorms use those weird ass beds instead of normal beds.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

We were able to purchase our bedding through the on-campus store, for a fairly reasonable price. About $20-$25 for a set (fitted, flat and pillowcase).
          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            Yeah, and for that ten bucks it would be like sleeping on cheap toilet paper.

I tell people to buy the nicest sheets they can afford. You don't have to break the bank, but do not go with the cheapest ones you can find. Good sheets will last for decades. And they will feel much more comfortable.
            Agreed, and 99% of the time I do that, but I'm only going to need them for 2 years.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
              Aw, I'm sorry, Delta! I lived in the dorm before it became so common for US stores to carry Twin XL, and it was a pain to find any that were affordable. I can't for the life of me figure out why dorms use those weird ass beds instead of normal beds.
              Because they're "longer" than a normal bed to accomodate the adult students. A twin XL is 5" longer than a normal twin. Most people when they grow, tend to get a larger BED, but in a tiny dorm room the next largest bed with the same length is a Queen - which you can't fit in a tiny dorm room.

Comment

My dorm had regular twin beds, though I think you could request an extra long if you wanted. I'm sure they were limited in supply, though.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Jersey Cotton Sheets! They stretch really well and fit on XL twins. It's a little hard to get them on the first time, but they will loosen up and get comfy. And every time you wash them they go back form so you always start with a snug fit. ^-^
                  Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                  Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

now that's a great idea, thank you hinakiba!!!!!!

Comment

No problem Delta! I'm surprised no one else thought of them before hand.
                      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                        Because they're "longer" than a normal bed to accomodate the adult students. A twin XL is 5" longer than a normal twin. Most people when they grow, tend to get a larger BED, but in a tiny dorm room the next largest bed with the same length is a Queen - which you can't fit in a tiny dorm room.
                        I was under the impression that a twin XL was the same length as a King (and same width as a King box spring, since Kings use a 2-piece box spring), while a Queen was the same length as a full or a normal twin.

You might want to check out truck stops or truck supply places - 39x80 is one of the standard sizes for mattresses in sleeper cabs.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I used to put queen size sheets on mine and just had them pinned underneath, but the idea of stretching out some jersey sheets is even better.

Comment

Hinakiba you ROCK! I went to the Mart of Wall today and found twin jersey sheet sets and paid LESS for 2 complete sets of sheets & pillow cases than I did for one single fitted sheet and 2 top sheets at Sears. Thank you SO much!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X