This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irv's latest pointless crusade

The U.S. needs to either abolish the penny, or re-size it.

Over the weekend, I got myself one of those banks that tells you how much money you have as you plunk it in. The coin slot has a little tab in it that pushes over, and how far it pushes over tells the little add-y thing-y what denomination of coin you just dropped in.

This thing is counting all my pennies as dimes. It says I currently have $34.23 in change. When I take it in to the bank to get it cashed, I bet I only get somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 bucks back.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

I have a little mojito mixing bowl. Overflowed it. My mom guessed about $25 in change. I had $65. SCORE!
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

This bank of mine isn't even half full. But I can kinda use the money right now, and I don't feel like being that person who pays all in pennies.

Comment

I am all for it.

How about this:
        Irv 2012
        We don't need no stinkn' pennies!

Who will be your running mate?
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Did you know pennies cost more to make than they're worth?

My change can when filled to the brim holds about $120.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            Who will be your running mate?
            Me! Me me me me me me me me me!!!
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Over the weekend, I got myself one of those banks that tells you how much money you have as you plunk it in.

This thing is counting all my pennies as dimes.
              Methinks the problem is not the penny, but the bank you purchased.

I have seen many of those banks, and the ones I have seen have no problem counting a penny as, well, a penny. If yours is counting pennies as dimes, shouldn't you be blaming the device, and not the coins?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

I have a Blue Stuffed Piggy Bank. I got it as a birthday gift. He Oinks when you put coins in.

Also, it costs almost 2 cents to make an American Penny. And 9 cents to make an American nickel. 9 cents to make a 5 cent coin, it's ridiculous. So honestly neither is really worth it.
                Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                  Also, it costs almost 2 cents to make an American Penny. And 9 cents to make an American nickel. 9 cents to make a 5 cent coin, it's ridiculous. So honestly neither is really worth it.
                  actually yes it is-SNOPES to the rescue!

think of how long those coins remain in circulation. The penny that cost less than a penny to make back in the 1950's is still in circulation today isn't it?
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I tossed 30 more cents in the bank this afternoon.

Bank sez: $34.53
                    Total I actually got back when I cashed in all my change at the bank: $19.78

Fucking thing was off 15 bucks simply by counting pennies as worth 9 cents more than they actually are.

The old plastic beer pitcher I had been putting my change in is coming back.

Comment

At my house, we have this old carafe that we use to collect change. The last time it was emptied, there was a few hundred dollars' worth of assorted change in there. In fact, it's almost time to empty it again.
                      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I, too, have one of the counts your money banks; however it sometimes doesn't count everything: the older quaters with the ealge on the back, the newer nickles with the bigger picture of Jefferson's face, any and all dimes. But pennies, it'll count the pennies til the cows come home.
                        Is it insanity to reason with the voices in your head or to ignore them and hope they go away on their own? - Hod from Brat-halla

"You're the nicest evil person I know" one of my managers to me

Comment

I remember those old banks where it looked like a little monster...you'd put a penny into its hands and press a button. It'd flip the coin into its mouth, chomp a few times, and "swallow" it. Loved mine to death and mourned it when it finally broke down. Was actually super durable, just didn't withstand one of my childhood acquaintances trying to reach in its mouth to steal my change. It did bite down on his finger and give him the scare of his life though.
                          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Working...
                          X