X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Topic--nothing to see here, boys

OK, so what is up with O.B. tampons? My store doesn't even carry the ultra
    may-as-well-roll-up-some-quilt-batting absorbency (purple box) anymore. So I went to look for super plus, and the shelf was wiped clean, except for regular. The grocery store carries ultra, but is out of stock. Wallyworld doesn't carry O.B. anymore at all. Was there some kind of O.B. tampon emergency I don't know about?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Long time ago, OB was associated with higher than normal incidences of toxic shock syndrome, but I thought they go that sorted out years ago.

Aha. A smoking gun.

I'm guessing this is silent recall. Extra absorbency tampons can be dangerous because they do run a risk of toxic shock. If women were using these, say, overnight (something I would think would be very risky), I could see an increased risk there.
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 12-01-2010, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Oh, that's what I was using the stupendous absorbency for. Not sure I even need it anymore.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Well, be aware (okay, any gents on this site...and you know you're lurking ...it's about to get real here) at when you wear more absorbency than you really need, it can dry out your vagina walls to the point they can actually form small fissures and cracks. When that happens, staph and other nasty bugs can get into your system...and that's what can cause toxic shock syndrome.

So wear the lowest absorbency you can get away with.

That's how the original OB tampons were causing illness...they actually worked too well. I suspect that may be what's happening now.

Comment

And as gross as it is, your vagina is self-cleaning. Putting extra stuff that doesn't belong there puts it into overdrive, and it isn't healthy.

~Plaidman, who hated his sexual reproductions diseases chapter.
          Military Spouse Support.
          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
          Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

For extra health, if you can find them, get unbleached ones. (don't know who even makes them)

Seriously, there's no reason we need to be sticking bleached anything inside ourselves.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yeah, what is up with that? Do they bleach it so it will, you know, look prettier?

Comment

Words fail me and there is really nothing comparable on the US market?

I would willingly buy some here and post them to you if you like.
                Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

We sell some brands of feminine hygiene. Suggest looking for Natracare and seeing if that helps - they're made from organic cotton. I think the more organic stores will sell them.

Rapscallion

Comment

And this is why I don't use tampons at all. I use pads. No matter what.

Well, it also didn't help that while I was growing up (say about 8 or 9 years old) that my mom's best friend at the time almost died of toxic shock syndrome before doctors even knew there was a toxic shock syndrome. They basically told her there was nothing they could do for her, and sent her home to die. This was a woman who basically looked like a red haired Dolly Parton, and by the time toxic shock syndrome was identified and medication/treatment available, she .... let's just say it wasn't a pretty sight.

Scared me for life.
                    Last edited by CaroPhoenix; 12-01-2010, 11:24 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Comment

I like the Tampax Compak Pearl. The OB's seem so small in comparison and the idea of not having an applicator to insert it squicks me out.
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        For extra health, if you can find them, get unbleached ones.
                        Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        Yeah, what is up with that? Do they bleach it so it will, you know, look prettier?
                        no it's the american thing of "oh it's bleached it must be cleaner/sterile" never mind that where the damn things go is quite bacteria laden

at the risk of TMI- the two things I use:

Diva cup

Sea sponges

neither have a risk of TSS as the sponges are to be used damp, and the cup doesn't absorb anything-as long as they're changed when they need to be-no leaks either-as in I wear white at times with no worries.

also I bought my diva cup 3 years ago for $40
                        the sponges I use on light days-bought on large bath size sponge-cut it up into about 20 smaller ones-that was $13.(they last on average 6-12 months each)

so for three years I've saved $300

two boxes per month we'll say maybe $5 a box(I honestly don't know what they cost anymore)
                        $10x36/months=$360
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          LOL yeah that's a dumb idea, it ain't gonna look pretty when you're done with it.

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                          I like the Tampax Compak Pearl. The OB's seem so small in comparison and the idea of not having an applicator to insert it squicks me out.
                          Me too! And sea sponge/cup idea squicks me out too....I don't want to use anything reusable, I want to take the thing and throw it away.

But if anyone cares there is a company that does reusable stuff....they have been a customer at TWO places I've worked. http://www.gladrags.com/ and they feature the same Diva cups and sea sponges mentioned previously. Plus pads.
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Chalk up another one for Tampax Pearl, and I *only*use the light or regular ones.
                            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Tampax Compact Pearl here as well... I buy the multi-pak, for 8.00 - 10.00 about every 2-3 months, and for the record the "store brand" of tampons feel horrible.

I remember when I first started I used OB applicators, as they were some of the smallest ones available, and I was 11 or 12.... but yeah the no applicator thing squicks me out too - then again, I'm a hands off kind of girl for that week - nobody goes there!
                              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Working...
                              X