Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here in Wisconsin we don't let snow stop us. People go shopping in blizzards. I've seen a foot pile up in one storm. Really, it's the ice that's really dangerous.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Agree on ice being the real problem. Here it turned cold very fast, so there wasn't much ice until the snow started to get compacted. The city makes an effort to clear the areas where this happens, eg. the forecourt of the railway station.

Comment

In my AO of Tennessee thankfully we don't get a lot of snow as most folks can't drive in it. I get a kick out of the damnyankees (that's the folks from the northern states) that brag about their great abilities of snow driving, then they're in the ditch almost immediately. I tell them "Yeah any idiot can drive on flat level ground, when you add in steep hill and curves at the same time the difficultly level increases dramatically." Unless I just have to go somewhere I usually stay at home. As long as I have electric and phone I can perform my job from home.
        In 93 we had a big snow that put down 24+". Not much was moving, those that had 4wd were too heavy to get on top and they didn't have enough hp to push it out of the way. I have some antique military vechiles specifically a Gamma Goat and a WWII era 2.5 ton truck. Neither are fast but both are sure footed. My brother drove the LEOs around in the truck and I drove the Goat. At few places I was pulling firetrucks with the goat to get them up some hills. I also have farm tractors that I've used to clear snow. They do well on snow but on ice they're better off in the equipment shed.
        Good luck to all you Englishters with all that global warming you're having to shovel and make sure you don't get sun-stroke.
        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Hey, we have hills in Western NY! There's a stretch of road in the Colden area I would not want to be on in the winter. Winds in a pretzel-y loop up and down, and you can't see anybody coming around the bend.

It's snowing like mad here now and has been all day. So those media reports from last week are now going to be more accurate for the city.

Like others said, you just pack the car with your survival gear and get on with business.

And I....am taking the train & the bus home.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
          X