• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://failbook.failblog.org/2010/12...ld-abuse-week/
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I actually changed my Facebook status to:
      fails to see how slacktivism such as changing a profile picture will prevent child abuse. Surely a donation of time and money would be far more beneficial?
      I spent the last 4 months collecting toys for underprivileged kids, the last 2 months donating toiletries and pretty things to a home for abused girls, and I've chosen my new charity for 2011 - a program that helps to get kids off the streets. How the hell is me changing my profile pic to Darkwing Duck gonna help?
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I think the whole thing is one giant pain in the ass. It's hard to navigate, it's filled with all these stupid games and clubs, and relevent stuff is rarely posted. Perhaps I prefer to keep private, but I always feel so exposed on FB.

Comment

I hate those self righteous Facebook updates so much, I had this as my status for a while:

Please put this as your status if you know, or are related to someone killed on the Death Star when it was obliterated by the Rebel terrorists. The Empire brings Unity, but the Rebel terrorists continue to foster division and hatred. 2,471,647 Imperial citizens died in the terrorist attack against the Death Star. 93% of people won't copy/paste this. Will YOU make this your status for at least one hour?!
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Hope no one thinks I'm going for this trendy nuttiness. I've had the same cartoon av since I first put one up.
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Some girl that is ridiculously pushy with her beliefs wrote on my wall that I should change my profile pic to a cartoon character because it will help fight child abuse. I replied with a rant ripping her for being an idiot.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

My profile pic has been the same picture of Pablo since I made my profile. I frankly have no intention of changing it.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yeah it's slacktivism, but...I don't know, maybe it will actually push some people into trying to fight child abuse. Or at least not fucking ignoring it. Sexual abuse of all kinds is kind of..."oh that's not my problem" to WAY too many people.

Granted, this probably isn't gonna make those people give a shit. But...maybe.
                  "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                  "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                  Amayis is my wifey

Comment

I happen to like Pussyfoot.

...and innocence IS overrated...
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

But...but...it's Pokemon Profile Pic Month!

And yes, I did change my profile pic to a Pokemon. I have Vulpix! I actually love these profile picture change things because it is really cool to see what people pick.
                      "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                        Everything you said
                        You said everything so much better than I could.
                        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

I agree with patiokitty. I don't see it as slacktivism at all. I see it as bringing awareness.

And I don't think I'm being self rightous when I post those status'. The cancer cure wish status I put up because its something that is close to my heart. My Grandma died from liver & colon cancer. My Mom and sister both survived breast cancer.

And I have to say it's fun playing the breast cancer awareness games.
                          Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            Please put this as your status if you know, or are related to someone killed on the Death Star when it was obliterated by the Rebel terrorists. The Empire brings Unity, but the Rebel terrorists continue to foster division and hatred. 2,471,647 Imperial citizens died in the terrorist attack against the Death Star. 93% of people won't copy/paste this. Will YOU make this your status for at least one hour?!
                            This is now my status! And...I changed my pic to a picture of a dragon I sewed. Heck, it's not a human face (what all my friends were complaining to me about) so why should they throw a fit! Plus...I'm showing it off to my friends who didn't get to see it.
                            I will admit I play a game on Facebook, but I wouldn't be heartbroken to stop playing it.
                            Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                            http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Everyone knows about child abuse. I've known about it since I was 7 and I got the "This is your special place and no-one can touch it without permission" talk. There's plenty of awareness if you spend even 15 minutes a day reading the news.
                              For some of the people that I know on FB, this is just another bandwagon for them to jump on, without actually doing anything about it.
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I'm kind of a bitch. This is my current FB status:

Just reaffirms the fact that I am TOTALLY going to hell: Imagine a drunk, abusive parent, ready to again abuse their terrified child. At the last minute, that parent stops and says to themself, "No, wait. I'm not going to do this. Everyone on Facebook has cartoons for their profile picture!"

Child abuse is NOT funny, and of course that's not what I'm making fun of - but the changing of the pics to cartoons.
                                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                                X