Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I'm a firm believer that a picture is worth a thousand words, I've responded to this crap in the typical TiK way: I went ahead and changed my profile pic to a cartoon character as well. Which character you may ask? Well:

Yes, I changed my pic to pedobear. Along with a lengthy rant about how absolutely insane and stupid this all is.

All these slactivism people has gotten me wanting to see if I could get some cause championed myself. 4chan's "sharpie in pooper" pics to raise awareness for prostate cancer? Pics of sunburn to raise awareness for skin cancer?

*goes off to plan evil, evil spoofs of slavtivism activities.*

Comment

I'm going to Hell because a pal had for her status that she saw on the nightly news that the cartoon display pic is a scam, it was created by and for pedophiles because supposedly cartoon characters will make them think that it's kids, and I laughed and figured it wouldn't surprise me if that were true.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I saw the post back in Nov, before it added the "to end child abuse" bit... i did it cause it sounded cute, i thought it would be funny - how obscure a childhood favorite can I find? And now i'm seeing more of those "Holy crap I remember watching that!" as people's avatars - for me that's what its about - not that I support child abuse, but at the same time I don't believe that my changing a pic on facespace will somehow do something.

If no-one had added the "to end child abuse" and just stated "this is a game, lets see how many people remember cartoons from their childhood" i don't think it would've gained as much attention - maybe i'm cynical but i think the "end child abuse" was added as an attention getter... not sure if it was by the original poster, or someone along the way but someone decided "aww no one's talking about FB's cartoons - how can we make this water-cooler talk? Oh I know - cartoons = kids;(some funky math) end abuse!" maybe December is supposed to be "Child Abuse Awareness Month" or some such, every month has a "Cause" now... so i guess that factored into the "funky math" equation.
        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth ThanosIsKing View Post
          Yes, I changed my pic to pedobear. Along with a lengthy rant about how absolutely insane and stupid this all is.
          except the various groups involved are thankful and happy for the attention even though they had nothing to do with it....but hey I guess they're just stupid....

The NSPCC posted the following statement on its Twitter page: ‘Although the NSPCC did not originate the childhood cartoon Facebook campaign, we welcome the attention it has brought to the work we do.’
          Quoth patiokitty View Post
          Sure, it can be viewed as slactivism
          Oddly enough the term "slactivism" does not mean what everyone seems to think it does

The term appears to have been coined by Dwight Ozard in 1995 for the Cornerstone Festival, but with a different meaning: he was referring to those activities which had to be done individually, on a personal scale (such as planting a tree, as opposed to participating in a protest). Dwight used the term to counter the arguments that young people those days were not concerned with activism as the previous generation had been.

as I posted on the fratching thread about this:

Quoth me
          Hmmm which does more for the environment:

Attending a protest.
          riding a bicycle to work everyday-yes even in the winter/snow.

Yes I choose to ride a bike because I hate what vehicles do to the planet. But because I'm not all "in your face" about it, my motivations are largely unknown, and people would say I'm "doing nothing" for the environment.
          But the lady I saw driving a ford expedition with a "no blood for oil" bumper sticker is an "activist for the environment"(I wish I was kidding)
          Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 12-06-2010, 05:54 PM.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

So, what does it mean if I choose a cartoon that is clearly not a kids' show? (I'm looking at you, Return of the Joker, Darker than Black, Full Metal Alchemist, etc.)
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Instead of changing my pic, I posted a link to a website about child abuse and how to report it in the US.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/signs.cfm

I feel that learning to recognize the signs of abuse and knowing how to quickly report it is loads better than just changing a profile pic.

But, I do like seeing all the old cartoon profile pics. Hrm.

Comment

Quoth ThanosIsKing View Post
                Since I'm a firm believer that a picture is worth a thousand words, I've responded to this crap in the typical TiK way: I went ahead and changed my profile pic to a cartoon character as well. Which character you may ask? Well:

All these slactivism people has gotten me wanting to see if I could get some cause championed myself. 4chan's "sharpie in pooper" pics to raise awareness for prostate cancer? Pics of sunburn to raise awareness for skin cancer?

*goes off to plan evil, evil spoofs of slavtivism activities.*
                Congrats. You win an internet. XD
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                  I happen to like Pussyfoot.
                  You, too?

... and, no, I didn't change my avi here for any particular reason, other than it was no longer November (and my NaNo wordcount was embarrassing ) and I had that in among my pics.

I don't participate in those Fb games. They annoy the ever-loving crap out of me and make me less likely to do whatever they're trying to make me do.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't do most Facebook things. A "friend" called me out on not reposting a cancer one. Too bad she is a smoker and that week in school I'd had a very difficult time taking care of a stage 4 lung cancer patient who smoked a zillion packs a day. She defriended me after a few PMs back and forth. The whole experience made me rather bitter towards most other stuff.

I do post fun ones. Today I posted a 93% one about dragons eating people, though my friends and I decided that being eaten by a dragon is preferable to studying for tomorrow's exam.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure child abuse awareness month is in the spring. It has a purple ribbon. I remember hearing a lot about it when I was a military wife, as child abuse is not uncommon in stressed out military families.

Comment

I only did it because I thought it'd be fun to have Don Karnage up for a few days to see if anyone recognized him. And I understand that the bra color thing was done mostly, from what I understood from people on my own f-list was to 'Confuse the men, LOL!' But I ain't gonna elaborate on that.

I don't find it as irksome as the 'It's brother/mother/sister/child week! if you have a ______ that made you smile, punched you in the face, hugged you when you cried, bla bla bla, post this as your status!' I mean, really?
                      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                        Also, I'm pretty sure child abuse awareness month is in the spring.
                        May or June. Pretty sure it's May, but don't quote me.
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

^It's April, actually.

Edit: Adding a link. See?
                          Last edited by Eisa; 12-09-2010, 08:58 AM.
                          "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                          "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                          Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Interesting.

We sell the little ribbons as our charity of the month at work in May/June. I'll have to mention that to somebody.
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Honestly, I do it b/c I feel like it.

My feelings are along the lines of this: My FB page is like my house. You dont like the way I decorate, don't come in. Otherwise, I generally have something non-serious and slightly humorous to say and everyone is welcome to take part.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                                Honestly, I do it b/c I feel like it.

My feelings are along the lines of this: My FB page is like my house. You dont like the way I decorate, don't come in. Otherwise, I generally have something non-serious and slightly humorous to say and everyone is welcome to take part.
                                I really like this. It's to the point and I totally agree. I didn't change my pictures because I couldn't be bothered, and that is the only reason why I didn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X