Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of my six mouths will open, and I shall sing the song that ends the world.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my six mouths will open, and I shall sing the song that ends the world.

Because of General Chemistry.
    More specifically, the homework for the course.

I already have a hard time with chem as it is, but this homework system has brought me to new levels of hate. It's all done electronically, with a website posting problems that are taken (supposedly) from our textbook. It penalizes you for spelling errors ("INCORRECT, IT'S 'FLUORINE' NOT 'FLOURINE'! KISS MY ASS, AHAHAHAHA!") and is ambiguous about what units of measurement it wants in your answers.

But the thing that sent me over the edge just now is bond enthalpies. A problem asks to calculate the change in enthalpy of H2 + Cl2 --> 2 HCl. I look at the chart of enthalpies in the book and see that HCl = 431 kJ, so I calculate accordingly. It marks my answer incorrect because the website says the enthalpy of HCl is 432!

"We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

you aren't using mastering chemistry by chance, are you? i hate that site with the burning passion of a thousand fiery suns. fortunately, after my first few go-rounds with it i picked up generally on how to give the answer it's looking for because it's so damn picky--e.g. i hate that it uses 6.021x10^-23 for avogadro's number rather than 6.02x10^-23, every damn other person on the planet will accept as valid.

i don't know if there's a sensitivity filter that the instructors can change, but after awhile it started accepting my answers that weren't exactly what it was looking for, though it did give a snarky error message about how i probably hadn't rounded properly.
    My Space

Comment

I failed a class because of that website...the whole CLASS failed because of that website. My school doesn't use them anymore.

Comment

Quoth tacohuman View Post
        you aren't using mastering chemistry by chance, are you?
        Nope, OWL.
        It's not too specific about numerical values when it comes to x*10^y, but it still pisses me the hell off.
        "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Talk to your instructor about the issues, using these specific examples, and others if need be. If needed, go up the ladder to the department head, the dean, and whatnot. It is not acceptable to be dinged for formatting issues or differences in value definitions from different, but still legit sources.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
          X