This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea...We don't need this right now.

Some of you might remember a little while back my Dad went into the hospital.
    He is doing ok now, he is for the most part staying out of trouble.

Before then I lost my job, and during that time we were remodeling the bathroom, during the bathroom remodel we found out we need a new roof desperately. At the same time as all of those things my transmission needed to be redone and I needed $2000 to do that.

THIS WEEK: Tuesday the pipes to the street backed up, flooding part of the basement in the process due to the fact I was in the shower at the time. Thank goodness the dog was whining at the cellar door otherwise we wouldn't have noticed it right away. That isn't normal for her unless one of the neighborhood cats decided to sneak into the house by the window down there.
    By midnight that night rotor rooter had fixed the problem for now, but said in the future we will need to replace the pipes running out to the street which means digging up the front yard.

TODAY: while doing laundry, I hear the sound of water in the basement...
    Yep, looks like the future is now. As I type the roto rooter man is doing his best to set up having the yard dug up and pipes redone in the next day or so. My Mom came home early for lunch to talk to him and then pay him, she is the only person at the front desk at her job so she can't stay long.

This really isn't what my family needs right now.
    I have to say at least the guy working on the pipes hasn't hit his head. He has to be over 6 feet and I live in a house built in the 1800's. We should just provide hard hats and aspirin for when plumbers go into the basement.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Look at it this way:
    only so many things can go *BOOM* before warranties start kicking in. Which means eventually you guys will be in the black. Hopefully nothing was damaged? >_>
    Also, hopefully nothing else will break. Or freeze. Or melt. Or mold. Or--
    alright, alright, I'm hushin' now...
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Aww, I'm sorry.

Feels like when things go wrong it all happens at once, doesn't it?

Comment

It really does feel like it's all happening at once.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Im sorry. I hope you guys get your things situated quickly.

BTW, I am also the proud owner of a home built in the 1800's. Good and bad.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
            BTW, I am also the proud owner of a home built in the 1800's. Good and bad.
            Have you noticed all plumbers are uber tall? How more don't walk around with head injuries I don't know. In comparison my basement is rather big for one in CT that is that old. I can stand up in it, but anyone over 5'6" hits their head. I had a friend go down hard when she ran down into the basement to get something.

The BIG downside for my house is it was the first house in town to get connected to the town water line and all that stuff. My Mom checked the town records once and we are really number one. Standing in the basement it looks like the pipes were put in straight from the road, instead they practically go around the house, and then go in. Also because the house was once a tiny farm house, we have odd additions, so often when we have people working they end up standing around going for a minute or two. It's lovely.

Anyway, the workers are here to start digging, we are loosing two small trees in the process, at least one is dead, and the other is one that that was getting annoying, too big to prune and growing too close to the house. I suppose that is a good thing, I won't have to tear them out in the spring.

Comment

YAY! Silver linings to the dark clouds!

what i'm trying to be positive here - and your home insurance actually should pay for most of the plumbing work (it did when we had to have our slab dug up and the rusted out cast iron pipes relaid under our house).

Hope things start looking up for you soon Squeeks!
              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                your home insurance actually should pay for most of the plumbing work (it did when we had to have our slab dug up and the rusted out cast iron pipes relaid under our house).
                Unfortunately no, my Mom works for an insurance group. She checked with her boss and he looked everything over. If there was actual damage then yes it would pay for it, but since it just got old and doesn't want to work anymore then it's up to us to pay for it.

Comment

Well that part sucks, *hugs*, but atleast its a "Small and fixed over all" problem, rather than "HOLY CRAP THE HOUSE IS SINKING and fixed." heh.

Thats a funny mental image...

I want to sink a house now. Just for the "Wait.. what?"

Where were we? *Uses squeaks as armrest* :P
                  "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                  Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                    "HOLY CRAP THE HOUSE IS SINKING and fixed."
                    The house is now sinking. Actually, we have a leak in the roof that needs to be torn off. It's coming into the bathroom that was JUST remodeled. I wish I was kidding. I think I'm loosing my mind.

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                    Where were we? *Uses squeaks as armrest* :P
                    If you do that I might drown.
                    Last edited by Squeaksmyalias; 12-13-2010, 01:27 AM. Reason: stupid quoting

Comment

*hugs* You know how to contact me if you ever need to talk/vent/etc
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I'm sorry.

Comment

Working...
                        X