Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here use a teeth guard at night?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here use a teeth guard at night?

I've been having some dental work done recently, and after talking about it, my dentist and I think I should get a teeth guard for me to wear at night. From what I've told her and what she's told me, it's pretty obvious that I grind my teeth at night, a lot. I know I do it during the day, all the time, unconsciously, and I try to stop myself when I catch myself doing it (although I don't always notice, even when I'm awake.) Lately I've been waking up with aching jaws and teeth; I've had some fillings done recently and my dentist thinks the ache is from grinding on the fillings at night. Also, I've had headaches (including migraines), neckaches, and shoulder aches, for YEARS and she said grinding at night could be causing them.

So, does anyone here use a teeth guard? I'm wondering how well it works. I can't tell you how excited I am to get one if it's going to help with my headaches, but I don't want to get all excited and then find out they don't help that much. I have another appointment with my dentist next week specifically to talk about getting a teeth guard and taking an impression for one so hopefully I'll find out more then.

I'd suggest getting a hard plastic guard instead of a soft one.

I got a custom-fit mouth guard made out of the soft plastic. Cost me a few hundred bucks. I chewed through it within six weeks.

Of course, the dentist said that was highly unusual. I'm a very bad grinder.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

There are itty-bitty ones that are little more than a strip of plastic and two wing like things that sit between the molars. I like that these are disposable - I use them for a few days and then toss them. I've had the large ones, and I have woken up more than once because I end up chewing on them in my sleep. I get the disposables at the drug store in packs of about 20. I want to say the name is "Grind-no-Mor", but I could be wrong.

Comment

Actually my Mom uses one and thinks it works out nicely. She didn't get a fitted one from the dentist though because we couldn't afford it and uses the sports mouth guards that she got at the sports store.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I use one for snoring (you can get them for about $30) - the ones that hold your lower jaw out (of course when you fit it you don't need to hold your lower jaw out).

They're a little uncomfortable at first but you get used to it - just be careful with allergies. If your nose gets clogged you won't be able to sleep well until you unclog it.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I have a dentist-fitted one, and I'm gradually grinding through it. It's helped with jaw and headaches, and it's definitely protecting my teeth.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I've never used a mouth guard, but I used to grind my teeth so bad that I'd damage the cartilage and be unable to open my mouth all the way.

When I finally discovered (by reading a pamphlet at the dentist's office - you'd think one of the people I'd asked like previous dentists might have had a clue) the problem, I started placing the edge of the sides of my tongue between my teeth. That actually stopped me from grinding at all. Not sure it would work for anyone else, however.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I haven't had a mouth guard, but my ortho made me a retainer that would work the same a few years ago.

I pretty much chewed through it in a month or so. It was still wearable, especially as a retainer, but I'd chewed holes in it.
                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

My dentist wants me to use one. One of these times I'm at Wal-Mart, I'll buy one of the $20 disposable ones. Of course, the dentist really pushed the custom made type on me, but insurance hardly covers a thing on that and I'm not made of random hundreds of dollars to just give them.

I'll let you know when I get one.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I have a device called an NTI. The dentist makes it in the office. Takes less than 20 minutes. It fits over just your front upper teeth. It makes it so you can bite down with your front teeth onto the device, but you cannot clench your jaw or bite down or grind your back teeth. It works MUCH better than the other mouthguards, because it prevents the action.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                    X