This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seamstress Help?

I like to wear costumes. I also can't sew to save my life. I have seen people online who take commissions, but I'm not sure who to trust; some of the best ones I've seen haven't updated their sites in a long time, so I'm not even sure they're still in business. I know some people here like to costume and might know others in the industry who take commissions and have the Customers Suck seal of approval. Basically I would like an estimate before anything else.

I have becomes obsessed with this outfit:

I am sort of assuming this would be really hard to make, and I don't even know how you'd go about making the headpiece. Honestly I am expecting to see the estimate and have my hopes so thoroughly crushed that I can forget all about it.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Treasure's Mommy

she mostly does Renaissance costumes, but with the right pattern and your measurements should be able to make the dress, the headpiece though - i got nothing...
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I love that gown too! Where is that picture originally from?

Comment

It's a costume from a movie called "The Fall", directed by Tarsem Singh (he also did "The Cell", but "The Fall" is vastly superior!).

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post

I am sort of assuming this would be really hard to make, and I don't even know how you'd go about making the headpiece. Honestly I am expecting to see the estimate and have my hopes so thoroughly crushed that I can forget all about it.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!
          I can make a suggestion for the headpiece =)

be patient with me, I will try and explain it as best as can be =)

It is a fantasy variant on a mongolian hat.

So, start with a mongolian hat in white. Make petal pieces, like you were going to do sugarwork roses. This site shows how to do sugar roses, but it has a seriously annoying song playing. The pictures are about halfway down the page. See how your hat is like a flower? Make the outer layer of petals gently pointy at both ends. You will have to make it out of white fabric and airbrush the red edges on. Crappy description but I suffer from understanding what needs to be done without being able to describe it =(

The fan is simply a pleated fan, like one used to make in school out of notebook paper, just out of a half round piece of very thin fabric.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Wow, I am in awe of your knowledge! Thanks! If I ever find someone willing to tackle it, I will be sure to give them that information. Thank you!

Comment

AnaKhouri, you have fine taste!
              From what little I've sewn, and the patterns and such I've managed to do... I've seen worse. Someone was wanting to do a dress a bit ago, and wanted a pattern on it of some sort-- that looked difficult to do. From here, that dress looks like straight lines and tailoring to the body, and a bit of fancyness on the sleeves (the yellow ribbony things); and either an applique thing or a machine-embroidery thing for the pattern of lotus.
              You could totally play around with things like bleach-type bottles (not actually the used ones!), like melting it a bit to get rid of the pores (if any) and shaping and cutting and dyeing the flower hat... mmm... details and fine maneuvering, I might do this myself! Or even glued/starched fabric to get the right effect of cloth/lotus!
              Note: quality work is 1) the most noticeable thing ever and 2) not cheap. Usually. That dress is done by someone who knew/knows what the hell they were doing! Amatuer work tends to show. oh, and 3) worth it!!!!
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Hm, dress would be a modified cheongsam or del pattern. The second link is a merchant site
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The dress would be quite simple to make, with the right measurements. Very simple lines, really, it's the decoration that makes it. The only tricky part would be the triple-layer sleeve hems, but even they wouldn't be tough for an experienced costumer. It's possible that it's a modified cheongsam, with the blossoms covering a front opening; it's also possible that the front neckline is a sham opening and that the dress has an 'invisible' zipper in the back.

I would say that the ribbon-trim is probably done as machine embroidery, then applied to the sleeves. The body-trim: the flowers themselves are probably machine embroidery on net, carefully trimmed and appliqued to the dress. The stems are certainly applique.

AccountingDrone's comments on the hat are dead on, and blumchen's bleach bottle idea is wonderful; the decoration on it would be a little more difficult. It appears to be two fans, not one; there is a distinct gap in the center. A very fine batiste, very carefully starched and handled as little as possible, could be forced into that configuration, but it would be fragile and would probably have to be replaced on a regular basis.

I'll have to find that movie; the costuming looks fascinating.

Comment

The fans look like actual fans. I've seen ones with bamboo and light fabric that can give that effect, and there's so many different kinds out there!
                    The fabric's really thin, so you'd probably have to look at a specialty place for them... shine a light thru, so you get the idea of how to see through them.
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm14456320/tt0460791

Here's another pic of the costume I found, with the fans of the headdress unfolded.

Comment

Friend of mine's website. She does commissions. She's one of the best, she's very nice, and also very honest and professional.

Comment

Thank you everyone! Kinkoid, I will definitely drop your friend a line- her work is really amazing!

Comment

Working...
                          X