This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday box o' stuff

So my company gives everyone in the warehouse a box of random stuff at the holidays. It's all obsolete inventory that they write up as destruction but hang onto for giveaways and stuff. What's in your box is totally random, mostly gift, games and kids' stuff. You don't know what's in it until you get home, because they give them out at the end of the shift as people leave, they have to go straight to your car, and they are not allowed to come back in the building for any reason. Last year I got a lot of stuffed animals and these little kids' kit things, which I gave to my roommate's school (they used them for a fundraiser).

This year my box is nearly all stationery stuff...I have 11 boxes of Christmas cards (145 total), 8 boxes of Vera Wang notecards (which retail for $23 or $24 each) and 2 boxes of Crane & Co. notecards, a little Jonathan Adler vase (which I always thought was cute but not cute enough to buy one), a bunch of notebooks and spiral bound journals, 5 magnetic butterfly bookmarks and 6 Harry Potter bookmarks (all the same - they are shipped in packs of 6 to the stores and the HP ones are still in their rubber band), a travel journal and 2 blue patent leather passport holders and a purple patent leather photo wallet, and these little monogram notebooks/pads (3 Vs, 2 Fs and an O, none of which letters are anywhere in my name ), photo frame cards, 5 things of (folded) wrapping paper, 2 holiday clippy booklights (snowmen and gingerbread men), a binder with hearts on it, and stickers for decorating your keyboard (skulls!), Osbert the Penguin (stuffed animal) and a 2 sound story kids books (with the sound effect buttons on a side panel ).

What the hell am I supposed to do with all this stuff? My friend's 10yo neice would probably like some of it (the heart binder and maybe bookmarks and some of the notebooks); one of the kids' books would probably be good for her nephew (he's 2; don't think he'll like My Little Pony but the other one would be good for a boy) some of it I'll keep...I'm set for Christmas cards for like the next 2 years! Maybe my mom can give some of it to her church...

Oh, here's my stash (sorry, it's a little dark, and not the pile in the bottom right corner; that's my roommate's pile of school stuff and cards on the coffee table):
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-24-2020, 10:46 PM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
    What the hell am I supposed to do with all this stuff? My friend's 10yo neice would probably like some of it (the heart binder and maybe bookmarks and some of the notebooks); one of the kids' books would probably be good for her nephew (he's 2; don't think he'll like My Little Pony but the other one would be good for a boy) some of it I'll keep...I'm set for Christmas cards for like the next 2 years! Maybe my mom can give some of it to her church...
    A church, community gift station, or the local Salvation Army would adore a donation of anything you can't otherwise find a home for.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      A church, community gift station, or the local Salvation Army would adore a donation of anything you can't otherwise find a home for.

^-.-^
      I'll probably give it either to my mom to take to her church or my roommate for school (she's already claimed the keyboard stickers to use as a prize for her computer class).

Edit: I just added it all up

71 items
      Total Retail $776.96
      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-19-2010, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Neat stuff.

I'm rather jealous, truth be told.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm jealous too! I love notebooks and stuff like that!

Is there a local children's hospital you could give stuff to? Or a children's ward at the regular hospital? Kids who are stuck in the hospital over Christmas would probably love some of that stuff.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sell it on eBay or Amazon.com
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

PENGUIN!!!!

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                Neat stuff.

I'm rather jealous, truth be told.
                I agree with this! I am jealous too. I love that kind of stuff, but I agree with donating it to a children's hospital.
                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

I love stationery stuff, too. I am tempted to keep a lot of it but the more reasonable part of my brain knows that I won't use most of it any time soon and it will all just take up space in my desk.

Comment

*drools*

I have a bit of a stationary fetish so that would be my kind of mystery box.

It's your box so you must keep the things you like best. It's not like any of us get enough rewards for our hard work.

Then if you can add them as presents to your friends and family that might make them happy and save you some money.

Then you'll need to find good homes for the rest.

How about a local woman's shelter for the notebooks - I bet any older to teenage girl along with the family would like a diary and notelets (to keep in touch with friends) ? Soft toys tend to be wanted everywhere - as well as hospitals and the gift schemes I think places like police stations, hospitals and even airports keep them. It's really good to have something around for children in trouble or lost etc.

If you sell it you'll need to sell it in lots I think. It'd be more trouble than profit to sell it.

A bunch of stuff together might be worth giving away to somewhere that could raffle it.

If you have extra thank you cards you could always use some of them - write some thank you notes to balance out all the letters of complaints that it all anyone in customer service tends to get !

Mostly enjoy. One of the things I love about stationary is the possibility. You could use a notebook to write something wonderful (just don't hoard them obsessively so you have no room to do anything creative. Not that I know anything about that. )

Recovering Stationary Addict (with a thinned collection and some desk space).

Victoria J

Comment

Haha, yeah, Victoria, I probably won't bother with trying to sell it. If I was already on Ebay, maybe, but I'm not and it's probably more trouble than it's worth. I'm going to call my friend and see if she wants to come shopping sometime during the week and see if there's anything her neice might like. Her nephew is the right age for one of the books (well, both, but I don't think he'll be into My Little Pony). If my roommate wants any of it for school purposes she can have it (her school is K-8 so and most of the notebooks are more kiddie patterns). Unfortunately her school is closing at the end of the school year so they won't be doing anything like the fundraiser they used most of my stuff for last year. Maybe my mom's church.

Comment

Working...
                      X