This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOT COOL!!

I just had my cabin-trailer tossed by the cops!

NOT A GOOD WAY TO WAKE UP TO THE AFTERNOON, UNIVERSE. (Nothing like getting thrown out of sleep by very insistent pounding on the doors. I have a feeling that if I'd hesitated any longer, they'd have literally broken the damn thing down.) It's like 2010 just has to get in one more potshot before giving way to 2011.

Evidently whoever lived here before me has/had some real issues. After they'd gone through my hermit-cave (and me freaking out silently inside because they'd left both doors wide open, and me thinking "MY CAT!!" (he's okay, just spooked) they told me that they'd had a report that some guy named Raymond had a gun and was going to 'do something with it' (whether that was hurt himself or others, who knows).

God only knows what else lived here before I did, and I'm damned lucky that it was *only* the cops (with guns drawn!) and they weren't in a bad mood. DO NOT WANT.
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Hell, that would have left me seriously freaked out too...(not least because I'm not exactly the world's neatest person...)

We did have the cops show up once at our old house saying that someone had called about people fighting. Turned out they wanted the house across the street, they knocked for quite a while and went around the house (checking the back door, I guess). I don't think anyone ever let them in.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Good God, you just don't even get a break, do you?

*hugs*
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I got a glimpse of how I react when approached by Authority. It...isn't pretty. I basically roll over and grovel like a kicked dog.

Somehow I feel (slightly) worse about that than I do the actual surprise 'visit.'

I count myself damned fortunate that all they did was look briefly in the rooms and then leave; if they'd stayed any longer I'd have been twice as freaked out. Whoever this "Raymond" is/was, I hope they tracked him down and gave him a good ass-chewing. I'm not inclined to think favorably of people who, however indirectly, bring trouble to my door.
        ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

GAH.
          My upstairs neighbors tried to kill each other at around 5 this morning. Cops and building manager were called. No clue what else happened.
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Aaaand the year is not off to a promising start.

Late New Year's Eve, some drunk dipshit splattered my mailbox. Tore the post right out of the ground, even. I'm surprised I didn't hear it. My driveway isn't that far away from the box.

Fortunately I have a very cool landlord who was prompt to put up a new box, post and all. Yay landlord.

And I am vindictive enough to hope that whoever ran over the old box really fucked up their vehicle and will have to pay out the nose to fix any damages. FORGIVENESS IS FOR WEAKLINGS.

Then the other day at work I get hit on by some creepy old fart. (Not fart-ancient, but old enough that he should damn well know better) EWWW. Just EWWWW. I'm not even anywhere near attractive to merit it. (Not that that justifies anything. I'm not hideous, but trust me, I'm pretty unremarkable when it comes to physical. And no, there shall be no pictures. You're just gonna have to take my word for it. ) Y'all ever get that up-and-down lookover by creepers that makes you wish you could just hit the nearest shower and stay there for like two days? Yeah.

Comment

I know that feeling all too well. But alas, it doesn't matter what you look like or what you're wearing or what the circumstances are. There are freaks and creeps everywhere and everyone is into someone different.

And poor mailbox

Last winter, one of the city plows murdered my bf's family's mailbox pole and initially refused to pay anything to repace it. Bear in mind, with mail delivery, if the box is not supported properly, the mailperson can refuse to deliver the mail. Since they also couldn't just use any old chunk of wood to hold it up, they bought a new pole and sent the bill to the township....and eventually they sent a check for half of the cost of the new pole.

I don't trust plows. Didn't before that incident, either. This is why I hate parking on the street while I sleep because the plow didn't come. I am petrified that my car is going to get bashed in to heck and the city won't do a damn thing about their idiot employees.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                I know that feeling all too well. But alas, it doesn't matter what you look like or what you're wearing or what the circumstances are. There are freaks and creeps everywhere and everyone is into someone different.
                That's true.

And poor mailbox
                It died for a noble cause, at least. In its short lifespan, it hath brought me many tidings of goodness. *bows head in respectful moment of silence for the departed*

Last winter, one of the city plows murdered my bf's family's mailbox pole and initially refused to pay anything to repace it. Bear in mind, with mail delivery, if the box is not supported properly, the mailperson can refuse to deliver the mail. Since they also couldn't just use any old chunk of wood to hold it up, they bought a new pole and sent the bill to the township....and eventually they sent a check for half of the cost of the new pole.
                Ah, I see you have encountered the slugheadery that is City Hall. Gotta love that special breed of incompetency. My dad used to deal with Public Works types when he still ran his own business and he could probably tell a tale or two dozen about the kinds of nitwittery he ran into, even as a freelance contractor.

I keep a FAR distance from plows (or at least, I did, when I was still living up north). Those salt trucks have no compunctions about where they throw their spray! D:

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post

It died for a noble cause, at least. In its short lifespan, it hath brought me many tidings of goodness. *bows head in respectful moment of silence for the departed*

:
                  And then with all the dignity our AH could muster, she gathered up the broken pieces of that mailbox and buried them in the backyard with the gentle sound of taps playing in the background.
                  Last edited by RavenStarr; 01-08-2011, 02:54 AM.
                  Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

Quoth RavenStarr View Post
                    And then with all the dignity our AH could muster, she gathered up the broken pieces of that mailbox and buried them in the backyard with the gentle sound of taps playing in the background.
                    Thanks, I needed that.

(Actually, funeral services for the deceased were handled by my landlord. No idea what he did with it, but backyard burial probably wasn't on the list - on account of the many many FIRE ANTS running around in this neck of the woods. D: )

Comment

My father-in-law's mailbox was knocked over by pranksters (ha!) several times.

He dug a big hole. Filled it with concrete. Put in a hardwood post. Used steel to connect the box to the post. When the concrete dried, he covered it with turf and painted the hardwood post so it looked like 'just any wood'.

The next weekend, he was woken in the middle of the night by the sound of a THUD and some very, very annoyed and pain-filled cursing. He smiled and went back to sleep.

Yes, the mailbox was fine the next morning. And still serves, and is still fine.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Yes, the mailbox was fine the next morning. And still serves, and is still fine.
                        That is AWESOME.

I used to think that those mailboxes you see in fancy suburbs (the kind that are completely surrounded by stone or brick 'posts') were impractical - what do you do if you have to replace the box or something, and how do you get it in there in the first place? - but I bet nobody bothers to mess with those, because they ain't coming down short of a crane and ball knockover.

Comment

Working...
                        X