This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting: Nintendo Wii

I got one of these for Christmas, mainly because my mother was so desperate to get me something, anything, that I just threw it out as a suggestion off the top of my head. I hate getting Christmas presents, my mother knows it, and she knows that I know if I don't suggest something, she'll get me something anyway and I will almost certainly hate it. Every year I have to either regift or throw away a third to half of what I get.

I'm not sure what to do with the Wii. I set it up tonight, knowing that you can download classic games for it. I prefer classic games because I'm an uncomplicated gamer -- tell me a good story and do it with decent graphics and nice music. I don't need so many sidequests and minigames, every single one of which comes with its own rules and learning curve, that a strategy guide for the game comes out to about the same thickness as the Chicago white pages.

I'd been looking forward to downloading all sorts of great old games... only to discover that none of the ones I wanted are available to download. Not Final Fantasy 3 (aka 6), not Earthbound, not Illusion of Gaia, not Chrono Trigger.

So, meh. I'm pissed off a little. It's certainly not my mother's fault, but I wish she'd just once -- just once -- listen to me and not get me anything. She wouldn't waste her money and I wouldn't feel guilty at having been saddled with a mountain of crap I don't need, don't want, and now have to get rid of somehow. But I am pissed off.

Anybody want a Wii? I'm so disgusted with this situation...
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Um... I'm not really serious about taking yours, but I would totally love to have a Wii. Been wanting one forever, but with how tiny this place is, I'd literally only be able to play it when it got hauled to the convention. Although I'm hoping to move in the next year.

If your mom insists on getting you stuff, maybe you can suggest she donate in your name to some worthy charity?

Otherwise, I really don't know much about Wii gaming. I ask all my gaming questions over at the Gaming forum at Ars Technica.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

PS3 has the old FF games and Chrono Trigger...

Erm...other then that I do not know what to tell you.

Comment

Here's the bestest thing about a Wii. Do you have a Netflix account? If so, congratulations, you can instantly stream a ton of movies and tv shows to your TV screen. Best of all, you can get a Netflix account that *only* does the instant streaming for about $8/month. (You can also get discs for $15/month.) There are a lot of simple fun games for the Wii, IMO. Heck, even just the Wii Sports/Wii Play type games are fun.

Just a general note - I believe that in order to download the games you have to go to a game store (or Target, etc.) and buy a card that gives you enough credit. Or something like that. I haven't done that yet.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
          Just a general note - I believe that in order to download the games you have to go to a game store (or Target, etc.) and buy a card that gives you enough credit. Or something like that. I haven't done that yet.
          I know how the systems works in regards to downloading... which kind of compounds the problem, actually. One of my friends got me a card with 2000 Wii points on it.

This means that two people spent money to get me a present I don't want and frankly hate at the moment.

Comment

When Mom got her tax return done last year, she was planning on getting a Wii so she could get the Wii fit, but she didn't get around to it. My aunt got the Wii fit plus for Christmas and the family minus myself (knee injury), had fun playing the games. Maybe you could try the Wii fit stuff. It was pretty funny watching them flapping like a bird on one of the games- them getting hit in the head with shoes while trying to hit soccer balls was funny too.

Comment

I really don't have need for Wii Fit. I have the Wii in my bedroom, which isn't big enough for the Wii Fit things, plus I go to a gym, which leaves even less of a need for the Wii Fit.

Comment

It's been kind of rough for old-school RPG fans on recent consoles. Closest you can get on the Wii is Zelda: Twilight Princess (and upcoming Skyward Sword). As far as traditional turn-based RPGs... well, good luck.

I haven't done much downloading, but I know that Super Mario RPG is available, which still remains a fantastic game to this day.

Don't know what to tell you beyond that. Dragon Quest X is supposed to be Wii-exclusive, but who knows when that's coming out for certain. Personally, I've found the DS to be the best thing to happen to players like us in the current market. There's a port of Chrono Trigger, a remake of Final Fantasy 4 (2 in the US) which is downright awesome, also a remake of the Japanese Final Fantasy 3 (not great, but it's worth getting since you can pick it up for $15 or less at Gamestop these days), Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (simple story, but fun to play if you like turn-based strategy), Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story which is hilarious and has excellent gameplay (there's also Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, but it is HARD to find in stores and I have yet to do so), Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (turn-based strategy, and excellent), not to mention updated versions of Dragon Quest 4 and DQ5 (never released in the US before). Oh, and Dragon Quest IX, which is an old-school turn based RPG fan's dream come true in the current gaming scene.
                "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

if you or anyone you know, knows out to soft mod a Wii, you can get every single Atari game, and get a bunch of regular, super and 64 nintendo games, plus sega and others.

It does break the warranty on it though, but I think it's well worth it.

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
                    . Personally, I've found the DS to be the best thing to happen to players like us in the current market. There's a port of Chrono Trigger, a remake of Final Fantasy 4 (2 in the US) which is downright awesome, also a remake of the Japanese Final Fantasy 3 (not great, but it's worth getting since you can pick it up for $15 or less at Gamestop these days), *SNIP* Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (turn-based strategy, and excellent), not to mention updated versions of Dragon Quest 4 and DQ5 (never released in the US before). Oh, and Dragon Quest IX, which is an old-school turn based RPG fan's dream come true in the current gaming scene.
                    All of those are great! Shadow Dragon in particular is really well redone.
                    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Yeah, I'd throw another vote out there for the DS. Even some of the currently made games are closer to what you're looking for. Just make sure to get one of the older ones that has the gameboy slot, it'll make it that much more useful. Also, this isn't exactly legal but you can download some of the harder to find old ones online and there are ways to put it on a card the DS will take (though again it has to be an older one, the newer ones have more protections on them too). I did this once with a game that only worked on the Japanese region DSes after I imported it to find out it didn't work. >_<

I'd try modding the Wii too, if you can't return it. Why not? Nothing to lose.
                      Last edited by Taboo; 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM. Reason: DS

Comment

Instead of modding (and potentially destroying) it, why not donate it to a kid's organization or something like the Ronald McDonald House? I'm sure they would really appreciate it. Conversely, you could sell it and use the money to buy something nice for your Mom.

I would offer to take it off your hands, but I have one that I absolutely love.
                        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

What a great idea Admin!

Haunted, if you hate the Wii so much, and it's of absolutely no use to you, it seems a shame to mod it and ruin it. If you don't want to do the charitable thing, then you could also try selling it and getting a system that would be of better use to you.

If you really, really hate getting gifts at Christmas, but your mother insists on getting you stuff, why don't you do as Andara suggested, and start asking her to donate to charities in your name?

If she doesn't feel that's a suitable gift, and wants to give you more tangible things, then just ask for things that you, personally, can donate to shelters, or other types of charities.

That way, you don't feel guilty that your Mom wasted money on you, and you get the satisfaction that you've done a really great thing.
                          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I think donating the Wii is a great idea, if you really don't want it.

A suggestion for future gift giving occasions; I've taken to asking for the little luxuries that are relatively cheep, but I can't afford.

In the last couple of years I've asked for (and gotten): two pairs of slippers, a good terrycloth bathrobe, a huge towel, and a professional massage.

You could ask for gift certificates to your favorite store, or some help financing a larger purchase (this year I got half of Dragon Age: The Ultimate Edition (my BF gave me the price of Origins, and I paid the upgrade.)
                            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

My mother is the exact same way...I tell her do not get me anything because I don't want anything (or if she NEEDS to, please give me a tiny bit of money in an envelope so I can buy something I DO want), and she gets me shitloads of crap every year anyway. She got me a DS the Christmas before last and I actually do like it a lot.

Personally, I do really want a Wii - the few new games that I would like to have are all on the Wii and I really like playing the sports games. I bought my boyfriend a Wii a few years ago for graduating from the Job Corps and the bastard didn't even thank me for it ; the worst part is I knew he wanted one since he wanted the (at the time) new Smash Bros. game. In any case, I regret not keeping it for myself.

But I'm an old-school gamer myself; I still play with my NES occasionally too (love the classics like Excitebike, Lolo, Mario Bros. 3, and Tetris). Unfortunately, I have not played with the Wii console enough to know how to download things to it or mod it or anything, but if you really don't want it, I suggest selling it. Trust me, somebody will buy it.

As far as games, Smash Bros. is good, as is NiGHTS. And I'm dying to play Samurai Warriors 3 since I loved the first two and both their expansions. Oh, and remember that the Wii can play GameCube games, so by all means, do not limit yourself to new titles. I also suggest Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the GameCube if you're a Sonic fan - it's the exact same game as Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast, which was an incredible game, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X