X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queensland floods

It is hard to describe...

Look at this article.

Toowoomba, where my University is, was hit by 80mm (3 inches) of rain in about 15 minutes... houses have been wiped out, people are missing,,...2 are confirmed dead...

This is 36km from here, now a wall of water is heading downhill and downstream, I live on a hill, but with so much rain - landslides are a risk.

People in the next town have been told to evacuate immediately...

Rescue helicopters are all over the sky...

The ground is soaked, and more rain is coming.

Brisbane city is about to be flooded...

What hit Rockhampton has inundated the sunshine coast, Lockyer Valley, Dalby (for the 2nd time in a year), Gold Coast, Stanthorpe...

Over 200,000 people have been affected

Spare a thought for the people of Queensland

Please be safe. I've lit a candle for those affected, and you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers that you may be safe and unharmed.

Comment

I live on a hill - relatively safe, no river, just small creeks and farm dams...

But then Toowoomba is on a hill, no river, just creeks...

Then there is another risk, that has been occurring all over the place - landslides.... i live on a steep hill... should be okay, great drainage on the street. But, if we get a downpour like Toowoomba got, then we could be in serious trouble.

almost half of the food crop is washed out and many coal mines are flooded.

1000's of homes are wrecked, many still under water.

over 30 towns and cities are affected, many are still flooded.

But, one thing that is seen in the news and heard on the radio is neighbours, strangers lending a hand, helping out as much as they can. The people have donated over 30 million dollars to help.

Last year, the devastating fires of Black Saturday hit the southern state of Victoria, now there are floods all over the east coast and in Western Australia. This after a decade of crippling drought.

It is just the start of the wet season here.

But, the people affected will rebuild.

Comment

My thougths and prayers are with you all up there in cane toad country.

One of mine and my husbands friend comes from Toomoomba andstill has family there. Her parents are currently safe in town, but cant get back to their farm (or know if it's still there)

Keep safe and if you have to leave, go. Belongings can be replaced, people cant.

Sydney may be a long way from Toowoomba, but I will happily offer my spare room to anyone who needs it
        "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
        "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
        "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

well, all the surrounding towns have been either flooded or evacuated... there is a massive storm overhead...

Comment

Here's hoping the toll doesn't rise anymore (8 dead) and that the 72 missing people are found and rescued. Stay safe Damien!

I'm in Qld as well, but not currently near any of the flooding or near any rivers/large creeks. If there's a storm surge, then we might have a problem but we're fairly protected. Stocked up on water, food and batteries, paperwork packed in plastic boxes and we're as ready as anyone can be.
            Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

the highway here is cut and closed. All traffic seems to have stopped and just a moment ago, i heard that the shopping centre about 2 km from here is getting quite a bit of water...

we have had 100mm in about 3 hours...

Comment

And with the locust plague in Victoria...

.... food's going to be costly this year.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Wow. That sounds ridiculous .
                  Locusts? Seriously? All you need now is... water to turn into blood, and you have a Bible-reenactment.
                  Uh... I think you guys would agree that the angel of death can skip Ausland, yeah?
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I just found this video taken by a local in Toowoomba - Scary stuff

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225985436806
                    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

The next town has been flooded... still raining

Comment

My cousin sent me pictures on facebook of Toowoomba , scary stuff.

Think I might call my mum and make sure she's ok.
                        I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

This was taken today by my friend's older brother, normally this is well above the river surface. Edited to add: This is the Brisbane River, and the pontoon is a CityCat stop for one of our main tourist attractions.
                          Attached Files
                          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

today in this part of the devastated Lockyer Valley - it is partly cloudy and windy.

My town was not hit thankfully, we are on a hill. But we are cut off - supplies are coming in by helicopter.

i am well stocked, but went to the supermarket, there were hundreds in queue and people fighting and arguing here and there. There was no milk (other than longlife) or bread and a few other things.

Edited to add:

Army helicopters are constantly in the sky as rescue and recovery continues to the towns just west of here
                            Last edited by Damien; 01-11-2011, 11:41 PM.

Comment

hopefully you could get vitamins... and I hope your water supply is accounted for!
                              even boiling won't get everything-- just 99.8 percent of the bad bacteria. Stuff like mercury, pesticides, etc., need to be filtered out, and some filters won't do those.
                              But you probably have gotten that lecture already.
                              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                              X