This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Window Insulation kits

Anyone ever use those plastic insulation kits? (Like this.)

Is it worth it?

My apartment is too cold (though my roommate doesn't seem to agree with that), I need to complain, but frankly I don't think they'll do much. They might do something to get to the legal minimum temperature (we've been 2-4 degrees below it - supposed to be at least 68° between 6am and 11pm, and 65° overnight*; when I get up at 6:30 it's been 64°, and when I get home at 6pm it's been 64-66 degrees). So any little thing I can do to get a few extra degrees in here I'll do it.

I already have a blanket across my windowsill in my room (and a towel in the kitchen), and my bedroom curtains are lined and I keep them closed to block as much cold air as possible. Tonight I unfolded the blanket a bit so it hangs down over the air conditioner sleeve (which they had to fix several weeks ago). Too soon to tell if it'll make a difference. I'll be happy if at least my bedroom is comfortable because I don't like to sleep in too many layers.

So anyway. I'm rambling. Any thoughts?

*which, personally, I think is too cold
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

My experience with that is that it blocks drafts/cold air but that's about it. Your place probably won't be any warmer than it is with the blankets. But at least you'll have your blankets back
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Doesn't matter; it's an old blanket I borrowed from my parents just for the purpose

(Any alternative ideas woule be appreciated, too.)
      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 01-12-2011, 02:33 AM.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Works for my family, and my dad's a certified carpenter. We have a really old cinderblock house, and he put those up in the big windows and the kitchen, and it's been keeping the heat a lot better. You have to make sure the seal is good, though. If it's not sealed properly it won't work. It wasn't hard for my dad, and if you have any doubts painters tape or ductape should work too.
        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
        http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

They work very well, you gotta make sure the plastic is tight, though, which can get a little time consuming.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I used them on my house before I replaced the windows. I had a cheap, single pain, sliding glass door. Adding the plastic kept the air from circulating across the window. Did a lot for the room. The door did not have a draft (caulk took care of that), so the seal did not have to be tight. Due to the design it was impossible to seal the bottom of the door

Depending on the design/style of window, you may have some other choices as to how you mount it. Post a picture and I will give my suggestions.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Some guy on the news today suggested humidifiers. They pump warm mist into the air, making the room feel a bit warmer. The only thing is that I can't stand to have mine on at night...that weird drippy sound they make makes me have to pee.
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Look at where you're going to put the tape,smooth not porous surfaces.If you have big sills it can get tricky.Use a small knife to separate the backing from the tape.
                Put the plastic on with minimal wrinkles,you want it fairly tight after it's heated.

Here's a tip: Before you pull the backing off the tape,rub it with your fingernails or something rounded,you'll see it get darker,that means it's holding,do it to the plastic too when you get it on.

You're using sharp tools,be careful.
                "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I'm still trying to find the really good ones that you shrink with a hairdryer. I've found those give the best insulation.

The other thing you can do in the bedroom is rearrange the room. Put your bed on an inside wall, and put dressers or other furniture against outside walls. Helps to cut down on the cold seeping through.

Comment

65º?? That's too damn cold! Most places that I know of go for 68-72º, which I still consider cold, but better then your place.

Just wow.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                    X