This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSD living under my back porch

Background: I live in the boonies, at the outskirts of a little village, approx. 15 mins off the interstate, surounded by farms. Over the years quite a few people have dumped their cats around my house. The cats have made themselfs at home in our outbuildings. I have an old bowl on the back porch, where I feed the cats every morning.

Over the last week or so, I have noticed that the cat food consumption has increased. This morning as I was going out the back door to feed the pigeons, there was a German Shepard Dog scarfing down the cat food. As I opened the door, he jumped of the porch and crawled under it.

I spend 1/2 hr trying to coax him out, before I had to go to work. No dice, he just crawled deeper. He looks to be a pure breed German Shepard, approx, 1 year old, very thin, no collar and scared to death.

I think he's been living under there for a few days. I have been seeing dog paw prints in the snow around the house for about a week now, but thought it was one of the neighbours dogs.

I don't remember seing any lost dog posters at the local Ma & Pop store, library or Post Office, as I just checked their bulletin boards in the last couple of days, looking for firewood for sale.

Any ideas on how to get puppy to come on out?

Food, time, kind thoughts and words.

Comment

Patience is the only way. Continue to provide him with food and water. I don't know how cold it is where you are, but you could spend some time sitting on the porch or nearby where he can see you. Make a point of talking sweetly to him. For a while, out out the food and leave, but gradually start putting out the food and sitting a little distance away. As he grows used to eating with you there, slowly decrease the distance. It may be a very, very long time before you are able to touch him.

And bless you for showing kindness to those without voices.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Try sitting out there on the deck steps, where he can still smell you and see you, just sit quietly ignoring him. Hang out, relax read a book. If he moves at all ignore him, leave food out in that area too. Do this for about an hour or so a day or twice daily, basically when you can but you don't want to hang out too long so he has time to relax. Don't reach out, just hang out. Even if he comes out to sniff you, eventually just slowly lay your arm or hang out to let him sniff more after a while he will start to hang out by you and maybe let you touch him. It might turn out to be days or weeks I'm sorry to say, but he will feel safer and it will be safer for you.
        If you have anyone else living with you or visiting including kids, they have to follow the same rules, NO going in to grab the dog it will spook him and he will either run or bite out of fear, or both.

Just remember any movement is slow, and calm. When you go and sit down and when you go inside. Slow and calm. You are showing you aren't a threat by that.

I'd suggest putting out warm pieces of meat out, put it out and go back inside. Depending if he was a family pet he might warm up pretty fast, but you will be a food source and he is more likely to hang out and be come friends.

I used to be the one to make friends with half wild strays and dogs afraid of new humans while their owners were away. This has worked pretty well for me.

Don't forget
        Always make sure to watch the dog's body language, watch his face too, don't stare but you can watch out of the corner of your eye. Just keep your body relaxed and you should be ok. Like I said slow and calm.

Good luck with the puppy.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

The other option if you're worried about his health (or anyone else's) and think it may be more urgent than that, is to call in the professionals - the ASPCA or whomever is appropriate in your neck of the woods.

They'll use catchpoles, and it will scare the poor dog, but the people who use the catchpoles will then take him/her to their vets, and then if need be to foster homes where they'll do the whole 'start slowly and quietly' thing.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
            Don't forget Always make sure to watch the dog's body language, watch his face too, don't stare but you can watch out of the corner of your eye. Just keep your body relaxed and you should be ok. Like I said slow and calm.

Good luck with the puppy.
            This is very important.

Generally these are good signs:
            Smiling
            Half-closed eyes
            Relaxed
            Tail down (not tucked), wagging, or out.
            Laying on back
            relaxed posture

Calming / avoidance signals:
            Scratching (invisible fleas)
            Yawnning
            Looking away
            Licking lips (a lot)
            turning away

Agitation (and other bad) signs
            Hair standing up on the back of the neck
            Growling and snarling (showing teeth)
            Standing with front paws apart - head straight
            direct eye contact (long term)
            barking
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

is to call in the professionals - the ASPCA or whomever is appropriate in your neck of the woods.
              Neck of the woods being the key word here. I live in the boonies. No dog catcher, no ASPCA and the Humane Society told me to just bring him in when I catch him. They don't have manpower to send someone out.

He (assuming 'he') is still under there. I've been feeding him puppy chow (more nutritious) and this morning he licked my hand as I dumped the food in his dish. He still won't come out from under there if we're outside though.

Comment

Just an FYI, this may not be the case anywhere else, but here in SC where I live, if you call animal control and they take him in, he will in all likelihood be put down.

It does not matter what they tell you.

There are so many unwanted animals here they just have to do what they have to do. So be aware that it may well be the same in your neck of the woods. Be aware that's a possibility.

Comment

Don't give puppy chow - high protein foods can make large breed dogs (that are still growing) grow disproportionate and lead to things like pano.

If you're thinking of adopting the dog, get something good for the dog - Royal Canin GSD formula is excellent for them (even if you're not looking to adopt it - you can get smaller (5-10 pound) bags.

Edit:

Here are some Ohio GSD rescues:

http://www.shepherdhaven.org/

http://www.gsdcno.org/ (GSD club - they might be able to hook you up with a reputable GSD rescue)
                  Last edited by draggar; 01-17-2011, 04:40 PM.
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
                    this morning he licked my hand as I dumped the food in his dish. He still won't come out from under there if we're outside though.
                    Friendly AND not food-aggressive. Looking promising!

Listen to draggar re large-breed dog info. He know what he's talking about.

BTW, with the stray cats: see if you can get one of the cat charities to help you fund a catch/neuter/release program. If you can get your population of strays neutered, but still living where they are, it apparently helps reduce the overall number of strays.

(Keeping them where they are prevents a neighbouring un-neutered population from simply breeding into the now 'empty' space.)
                    Last edited by Seshat; 01-17-2011, 09:00 PM.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

BTW, with the stray cats: see if you can get one of the cat charities to help you fund a catch/neuter/release program. If you can get your population of strays neutered, but still living where they are, it apparently helps reduce the overall number of strays.
                      Oh I've been doing that. A lady I know takes them to the neighboring county's ASPCA for me and uses her home address. They charge only $25 per cat. My county only hands out 25% off coupons at certain Vets. Which would still amount to $75 per cat.

We had 2 more dumped since the last 'fix-em' run.
                      I can't get any fixed during the winter, though, especially the females, as they shave their bellies and it takes about 1 1/2 months for the fur to grow back for cold protection.

Comment

Bless you for helping the puppy, and the cats. The licking of the hand sounds promising. Like he appreciates what you're doing, even if he can't quite yet open up to you.
                        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Our lab was thin as a rail - the vet theorized that he might have been part greyhound - and recommended that he be put on Cat Chow, to get some meat on his bones. The dog ate cat food from then on, and it kept him very active. I don't know if there were side effects. If you're worried that the dog might be malnourished, run it past the vet as a suggestion and see if it gets his blessing.

What worries me is that a dog that terrified has probably been through some stuff. I've never met a domesticated animal that couldn't be coaxed with a kind word and a kitty treat unless it had a previous owner with his own special reservation in Hell.

Best of luck.

Comment

Isn't cat food too high in protein to be good for dog-kidneys? That's what I've always heard, and that's why you should also stop dogs from eating ... uh... cat turds. (My family had a dog that considered them better than gold! ew )
                            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
                              Oh I've been doing that. A lady I know takes them to the neighboring county's ASPCA for me and uses her home address. They charge only $25 per cat.
                              Good for you.

Whoever dumped the dog, and the cats... gah. Special reservation in hell indeed. But you (and your friend who takes them to the ASPCA) have reservations in heaven. Or maybe pet heaven, as the human advocates for the mute.

Comment

Working...
                              X