Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you deal with nosey coworkers???

So heres the problem... I dont drive,never have,scared shitless. So I come into work with the hubby,since his job is so important and brings in a huge paycheck, I dont fuck with his job. Like making him come and get me an hour and a half after he has been at work. Also we live in the country so no bus service. Well so I come in at 8:00 and dont have to be a work til 9:30. I see nothing wrong with this, I get breakfast and get on my laptop. I used to sit in the hotel lobby, until coworkers wouldnt leave me alone.
    Some of them are so frickin rude and nosey. I get things like oh my god why are you here so early and I couldnt do that everyday. And my most hated Oh my god you dont drive. I have seriously answered the same shit probadly hundreds of times. So I started coming up stairs sitting in the student lounge in the corner. And I still dont get left alone. And its always the same stupid people. Its like I'm hiding and they still are going out of their way to find me.
    So how do I get these people to quit asking personal questions? Do I not have a right to be left alone? Im not hurting anyone,not making a mess or being loud. Im just surfing the web.
    The only way I got the one woman to leave me alone about having children, was to yell at her. I told her it was rude to ask people that because they could have medical conditions(which I do) to prevent them from having babies.

Say, 'I have already answered that question and I'm not going to talk about it anymore.'

You'll probably have to say it again, and again, and again...but eventually they may get bored when you don't react and go away.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Look up at them and say "go away."

If they persist in trying to talk to you, you do not have to look at them or say anything to them after you have told them to go away.

As long as you are legally allowed to be there, they cant force you to talk to them.

I can also sit next to a ringing phone without answering it. Drives people nuts.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Personally, I am a fan of "They took my license away because I ran over this woman who wouldn't leave me alone about why I come to work so early!" ... but I am evil like that.
        "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

my personal fav:
          "i'm sorry, but how is that any of your business?"
          short and to the point. if they don't get it by then, try something like "look, i'd like to be left alone please."
          then get rude. "leave me alone!"

some people think that because they see you every day, that automatically makes you their friend or something. i don't get it, but it's annoying. good luck!
          If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
          ^_^

Comment

Yeah what is up with people who freak over the fact that some people don't drive? I don't drive either, and partly it's because it scares me. Between anxiety and no depth perception in my vision I just don't want to deal with the stress of it. But people who are too damn dependent on their cars just don't get it.

But as for nosy co workers boy that's a tough one.....short of saying what others suggested about stating you've answered the questions enough and you aren't talking about it anymore.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Megg View Post
              Personally, I am a fan of "They took my license away because I ran over this woman who wouldn't leave me alone about why I come to work so early!" ... but I am evil like that.
              LOL, I love this. CSG, i think you need a Look Of Death - turn it upon your idiot co-workers and watch them melt away. Or, you could just make a little sign and hold it up saying "I already answered that question".
              A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
              - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                Yeah what is up with people who freak over the fact that some people don't drive? I don't drive either, and partly it's because it scares me. Between anxiety and no depth perception in my vision I just don't want to deal with the stress of it. But people who are too damn dependent on their cars just don't get it.

But as for nosy co workers boy that's a tough one.....short of saying what others suggested about stating you've answered the questions enough and you aren't talking about it anymore.
                Yes, this. I would get sent home from work on some light days, and I'd have to wait 5-30 minutes for hubby to show up depending on if he was awake or not. A lot of my coworkers would freak out on me for it, and I was like "Not my fault, mum made me too nervous to drive so now I can't."
                As for the nosiness, I tend to either start singing something to myself or I glare at them and demand food for answers. Once in a while it would work too. I used to bring sewing and crochet and do that at work, I can't even remember how many times I got asked about that or if I was pregnant. Crochet=/= pregnancy.
                Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
                  So heres the problem... I dont drive,never have,scared shitless. ....
                  Same here but I don't see it as a problem. :-)

As for the nosey questions, if someone asks me something that i don't feel like answering, I usually ask "Why do you want to know?". When they answer "Just askin'" or "I'm just curious" my reply is "When you have a good reason for asking then I'll have a good reason for answering.".
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

This is one of those situations where Etiquette Hell has some great ideas.

Complete silence. Don't say anything. Just give them a look (I find one raised eyebrow works well) and then go back to what you're doing.

Bean dipping. Change the subject. "Oh, hey, did you hear that 'so-and-so guest' is going to be staying here over the weekend? Don't you love them?" Or, better yet, "How about (local sports team)?"

"So kind of you to take an interest." Stop here. Go back to what you're doing, and follow it up with complete silence.

You're not required to answer their questions. Nor are you required to offer them any info about your personal life. If it continues, let your manager or boss know (or HR, if you have one). Sit back and watch the reprimands.

Comment

Were I on EHell my response would have differed greatly, that's definitely a "Why would I want to do that?" or "My, aren't those walls perpendicular!" kind of situation, if we are trying to be polite. I should be nicer to stupid people, I just find it so darn difficult!
                      "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I don't drive either. I'm not going to start at this point. I just tell anyone who asks that I never got around to learning and I can't afford a car right now anyway.

But for really nosy questions, I just don't answer. The less you say, the sooner they'll get the message. It may seem rude, but so is asking you questions that are none of their business.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've always liked Robert Heinlein's take on nosy people:

"Go to Hell!" is the only aswer to rude or nosy questions.

not an exact quote,I'd have to look it up
                          "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

These are all good ideas! Personally, I like wearing headphones. Plug them into your laptop and listen to music, or just pretend you are. If they come up and try to get your attention, maybe just give them a "hello" nod and go back to what you're doing.
                            Last edited by Rantsylvania 6-5000; 01-21-2011, 04:10 AM.
                            Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

I've put a different version of this quote around here before, but since I'm on the computer that doesn't have it...

“People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X