Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I almost went off on a carnie today. (service dog related)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I get to assist in training guide dogs. Its more like I give a hand full of popcorn to the trainer to train the dogs to leave it alone. They like to train dogs at the union cause of all the noise and all the food. I feel bad for the poor doggies when they come into my store and I throw popcorn on the floor for the trainers. The poor dogs want it so bad, but they do leave it alone. All the trainers know that the price for the popcorn is after the popcorn training is done I get to hug the dogs. And of course I love them so much

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
      The poor dogs want it so bad, but they do leave it alone. All the trainers know that the price for the popcorn is after the popcorn training is done I get to hug the dogs. And of course I love them so much
      Honestly the dogs might actually like that much much more then the popcorn. You are helping them train not to like it. They think "If I don't eat it that nice lady is going to hug me, I like hugs, I like hugs, I like hugs, resist the food, yay hugs!"
      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
        Honestly the dogs might actually like that much much more then the popcorn. You are helping them train not to like it. They think "If I don't eat it that nice lady is going to hug me, I like hugs, I like hugs, I like hugs, resist the food, yay hugs!"
        LOL, I heard that in the voice of Dug from "Up"
        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
        - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
          I was typing it while thinking of Dug.
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Some people are extremely oblivious. My ex is blind, and in his neighborhood was a dog the owners always let out to wander around loose. Thing is, whenever he would leave his house, the dog would go after his guide dog.

You can see the problem. Not only did my ex sue (and win) he also got a law passed that anyone interfering with a working service dog or in ownership of an animal who harrassed or interfered with a working service dog was in mucho grande trouble.

The owner of the loose dog ended up having to pay like, a few grand because of his dog.

Which, by the way...he still lets wander loose. Fortunately, my ex has since moved**thump**

All the attention is what makes me kind of nervous with taking Tuli out. Because she's small and cute...ehn. I better get used to it *ROFL*
            My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              As soon as my back was turned she swooped her kid down on poor Max and got her kid nipped in the finger. Then she started screaming about rabies. I pointed out the half-dozen rabies vacination tags on his collar

"So, as you can see, Ma'am, the dog has been regularly, and is currently, protected against rabies. However, I am deeply touched at your concern that he could have caught it from your child!"

Mike
              Meow.........

Comment

Do service dogs have to wear some form of identification as such while they are working?
                Technically they don't but most people do have them wear a cape or a vest with identification on it to make it obvious.

Quoth LewisLegion View Post
                Some people are extremely oblivious. My ex is blind, and in his neighborhood was a dog the owners always let out to wander around loose. Thing is, whenever he would leave his house, the dog would go after his guide dog.

You can see the problem. Not only did my ex sue (and win) he also got a law passed that anyone interfering with a working service dog or in ownership of an animal who harrassed or interfered with a working service dog was in mucho grande trouble.

The owner of the loose dog ended up having to pay like, a few grand because of his dog.
                I actually looked up the FL law today and found out it is against the law to interfere / distract a working service dog. First offence is a second degree misdemeanor and later offences are first degree misdemeanors.

When we go back on Sunday maybe we should let that carnie know that for what he did he could be thrown in jail for 60 days (1 year of it is a second (or later) offence / conviction) and a $500 / $1000 fine respectively.

For those of you who are curious, here is a rundown of federal law in regards to service dogs:

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/a...minger2009.htm

On the left side you can also select a state to see what they've added / modified in the law.
                Last edited by draggar; 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

wow that's an interesting read.

and i too think service animals are adorable... but i also prefer the "adore from afar" approach.

then again, i also believe that you should always ask first if you want to pet someone else's dog - service animal or not. some people have dogs that don't take kindly to being touched by strangers.
                  Last edited by PepperElf; 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I never pet a dog unless the pup comes up to me in a "please pet me" attitude.

Even when I hike, if I see a dog approach....I stop and let the dog decide what to do, lol. It's funny, the owners think I'm afraid of the dog, but no, I just respect the dog. The trail dogs almost ALWAYS want pets
                    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Most service dogs have harnesses or coats which are bright safety neon colours and/or reflective. I haven't ever seen a non-working dog with that kind of coat on, though some have reflectors on the collar or lead.

Of course, so many people are just oblivious.

Comment

A friend of mine uses a service dog when she goes to conventions and she has 2 dogs that are service dogs and they are awesome.

Comment

My best friend is blind and she uses just the harness when she goes out with her dog. She doesn't use a cape. She's dealt with people calling the dog, children running up wanting to pet the dog, people wanting to pet it, just because its a dog, having to explain no you can't she's working. Or if we're waiting on a table at a restaurant yes she's resting you can pet her now.

Comment

Working...
                          X