This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get it, Best Buy.

I was in BB the other day looking for a new Flip. As expected they had TONS of 14 day return products for sale.

What got me as odd as they were all like this:

Camcorder A - new $3.49.99
    Camcorder B - 14 day return $379.99
    "New" price on camcorder B - $399.99

First - yes, every 14 day return was more expensive than the new one by at least $20. Second - they're really only knocking $20 off a camcorder that was returned, has just one cable, no box, no instructions, etc.??

I guess they learned from Game Stop's "used" game sales policy?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

The "14 day returned" are otherwise known as "Open Box". Aka, they were purchased and the packaging was opened. No one in their right mind would want a product that someone else already has opened and possibly used, so they sweeten the deal by reducing the price.

Now here's the catch, they have a certain amount that they're allowed to reduce it by, based on how long since it's been returned. Within 30 days is roughly 10%, 60 days is roughly 20%, 90+ days is roughly 30%. The price however cannot go below a 5% markup unless it goes on clearance, at which point all bets are off. The only time they can go below those levels outside of clearance is if the product was returned incomplete (stuff's missing).

So odds are it was a recent return and/or they hit that bottom line. Nothing major, and nothing new.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I get the 14 day return / open box idea but I don't get that all of them were more expensive than the same exact item new (as in "sealed").

Camcorder A and Camcorder B are the same exact model.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

The exact same model, or the same looking model? There are times where product A can look identical to product B but have one or two additional features shoved into the same shell and given a slightly different model number (S44-45a and S44-45b, where the 45b has a better zoom function for example)

Not trying to insult or anything, but I have been on both sides of that discussion more than a couple of times myself.
        I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

The exact same model according to the model numbers on the product card and box(es) and product(s).
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Okay, then odds are it's an old sale tag that got overlooked. Only reason I can think of.
            I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
              Okay, then odds are it's an old sale tag that got overlooked. Only reason I can think of.
              I can see one or two but every one? I think there was only one that wasn't more expensive - it was the same price as the new one.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
              X