This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found $ - What would you have done?

So, the mall's closed (it's 2AM) and I'm doing my rounds, checking doors, etc. I find a 20 $ bill on the floor. On one hand, nobody around to see me and 90% chance nobody will come looking for it. On the other hand, if someone does come looking for it, and actually describes about where they think they dropped it, I'll feel horrible for keeping it and telling them it was never found; it could be a little kid's birthday $. I ended-up checking it into our lost and found; at least if nobody claims it in 30 days I still get it.

But some of my coworkers thought I was crazy. Granted, I'm about the only person that bothers checking things into lost & found. Some things they find they feel 'aren't important enough' to log; but you never know what something means to someone.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

i would have kept it cause it was loss money and i don't think anyone would think to lookin loss in found for loss money.

Comment

I'd have handed it in. Like you said, you never know what it might mean to someone. Besides that, someone once handed in my lost nappybag with the contents (including my mobile phone) intact, so to me it's similar to 'paying it forward'.
      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Would have pocketed it and probably spent it at the bar that night.

If it was a large sum of money, that'd be different. But $20 isn't much and is no big deal.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I would've turned it in. Good karma and all.

Comment

Had this dilemma once when I worked at Mart of K. Found seven bucks in electronics. Pocketed it. Only when the little girl who I had seen five minutes earlier came around looking for it did I return it to her and only her.

With electronics or something tangible like a wallet, it's never a question to me.

But money is something that can be replaced. And if I personally did not see the person drop it and no one else noticed it as it lay there, then I'm going to count my lucky stars that I found it first and pocket it the first chance I get.

Comment

Wow. Theft by finding, anyone?

LillFilly, i think you did exactly the right thing. If no-one comes to claim it, you can have the money back in a month's time.

I once worked alongside someone who was fired, lost his job, his police service pension, the respect of his colleagues and his own self-respect, for stealing £10.
              A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
              - Dave Barry

Comment

Turn it in, of course.

For those of you who think that $20 isn't a lot of money...I'm unemployed. That IS a lot of money for me. Hell, at this point, $5 is a lot.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Been there. $60 myself actually (someone dropped 3 $20's). I tried to turn it over only to have my manager call me nuts and I should keep it. (yeah, strange group) So I made a compromise. I would hold onto it for a week and the front desk would let me know if someone was claiming it without being questioned. If that happened, I would turn it over. If not, I would keep it.

No one claimed it. At least I can say I did the right thing.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I've always figured if I found some money, that was immediately identifiable as to whom it belonged to, such as in a wallet, or a bag with some company receipts, or if I saw them drop it, I'd return it to the owner whether the amount was $1.00, or $1,000.00.

If it's just a single bill lying on the ground, $1.00, $5.00, $10.00, or $100.00, I'd probably keep it, unless there was some way to be assured that if I advertised it, that someone besides the person that actually lost it wouldn't get it by guessing, or by process of elimination.

I know that the ad would have to be vague enough to hopefully prevent that from happening, but then there still has to be enough info, like the general area in which it was found, to catch the eye of the person that lost it.

Mike
                    Meow.........

Comment

LF, You followed procedure. Im assuming you could have been fired for keeping it and not turning it in had others found out? Im also guessing youll be $20 richer in a month. You did the right thing.

Comment

I'd do the exact same thing you did. You did the right thing.
                        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I always turn in money that I find at the store.
                          If it's coins, I drop it in the donation jars at the cash.

I was out walking last fall, and I looked down to see a $10 bill among the autumn leaves. (Canadian $10's are a shade of purple, so it blended in at first.)

I couldn't even spend it on myself, even though I was completely broke.

I ended up giving it to my daughter that night to buy some medicine for my granddaughter who suddenly developed a fever through the night.
                          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                            Would have pocketed it and probably spent it at the bar that night.<snip>
                            If it was a large sum of money, that'd be different. But $20 isn't much and is no big deal.
                            Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                            But money is something that can be replaced.
                            When my husband left me and our one year old son I had $50 to my name-couldn't get a job as my ex-husband had all my paperwork. My son got sick and needed medicine(he had cryptosporidium, vomiting and diarrhea), his medicine was $30-which left me with $20 to buy food for him for two weeks. No way to get to any kind of food bank.

So $20 may not seem like much, and may seem "easily replaceable", but if I had dropped that final $20-yeah you'd have had maybe 3 drinks, and my child would've gone hungry. As it was I went without food so he could eat-I rationed myself to one packet of ramen per day($1.50), he got 3 meals.
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                              LF, You followed procedure. Im assuming you could have been fired for keeping it and not turning it in had others found out? Im also guessing youll be $20 richer in a month. You did the right thing.
                              Procedure would have been the only reason I would have not kept it. One $20 bill is nearly impossible to trace and for all we know someone at the lost and found can claim someone claimed it but then claim it for themselves.

Quoth Ree View Post
                              I always turn in money that I find at the store.
                              If it's coins, I drop it in the donation jars at the cash.

I was out walking last fall, and I looked down to see a $10 bill among the autumn leaves. (Canadian $10's are a shade of purple, so it blended in at first.)

I couldn't even spend it on myself, even though I was completely broke.

I ended up giving it to my daughter that night to buy some medicine for my granddaughter who suddenly developed a fever through the night.
                              That was a calling.
                              Quote Dalesys:
                              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                              X