This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What? I honestly couldn't remember!

My wife and I were talking about me going back to college when this exchange happened:
    Wife: Of come on! You're not that bad at math!
    ME: Honey, I flunked Remedial math.....TWICE!
    Wife: Oh please. Just try this: How do you find the area of a triangle?
    Me: ..........mapquest?
    Wife: ..You're screwed.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Quoth Nurian View Post
    Wife: Oh please. Just try this: How do you find the area of a triangle?
    Is it near Bermuda?

Can I go there?

Now?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Yeah, back when I had a job, the answer would have been "Uh...ask the database guy?"

Now, I got nothing. The answer would be "uh...I don't?"

Comment

Um...does it have anything to do with the Pythagorean Theorem? Or the 1/2 the base times the height thing?

Cuz if not, I have no clue.
        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

I don't even understand the question.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My answer would be, "I didn't need to know that when I was in school, and I don't need to know it now."
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Hey, being good at math and remembering the formula to calculate the area of a triangle are two separate things. I've never gotten anything less than an "A" in college level math, and I can't remember how to do it. Though now that Eisa mentions it, I'm pretty sure it's the half the base by the height thing.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

(1/2)bh

Anywho, I used to be surprised at how little math people actually knew but by the end of college, I realized two things. 1. I'm just really damn good at math. 2. Most people have little need of math beyond really basic algebra.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I had about a semester and a half of physics in college all so I can remember one stinking formula: exponential decay equation*. And I've only used it once since graduation when we got a new flood source and had to calculate the residual activity in the old one to send it back. Still had to look up the half-life of Cobalt-57, though. I learned how to do a lot of equations and calculations by hand, but most of them are either done on the computers (like Iodine-123 uptake percentages) or we have a chart (Adenosine doses).

Where N(t) is radioactivity at a certain time and N0 is original activity
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

If you want to paint a triangular bit of wall, the area of a triangle matters. (Lets you buy the correct amount of paint.)

If you want to be sure a DIY table is square, you can use pythagoreas' theorem to make sure of it.
                    (Or you can just measure along one side for 3 units, along another side for 4 units, and mark both. Then measure from one mark to the other. If it's square, it will be 5 units long. The units themselves don't matter: inches, centimetres, feet. Even a set-of-3-inches; so 9, 12 and 15 work too.)

Math can be useful in everyday life. OTOH, most DIY instructions I've ever seen include a reminder of the useful-math you'd need.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                    X