This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Were Dying

If you knew in advance that you were dying, which of the forums you frequent would you make the announcement to?

There was a news article a while back about people who pay this website to alert online friends that they've passed away. I guess if you don't let said website know you're alive, the owners assume your dead. I don't know if I could ever trust something so flimsy. So in order, these are the places I would let know of my impending death.

Here, obviously.
    Highlander Message Boards
    My Facebook

And that's it. There's no other board right now that I feel the need to alert.

Here and Facebook are the only places anyone would miss me. And Facebook would probably take a lot longer than here for anyone to notice I wasn't around.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I am dying. So I guess this would be as good a place as any to announce it. Then again, we're all dying, so I don't know that my impending death in 1 day to 50 years is all that newsworthy.

All philosphisizing aside, here are the forums I would post that on: None.

Anyone I would want to or be willing to tell about some terminal disease I had, I would do so directly, either over the phone or in person or, at worst, via text or private message/email. Public forum? No. Not me. I don't see the point. And before anyone gets upset by that statement, I mean I don't see the point for me.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Hmm, apart from here, the only other places I could think of would by my WoW guild and my CoH guild. I'm not known enough or honestly care about the other places enough to mention it anywhere else. Anyone else I would want to tell it to I would do as Jester would and say it in person.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm already dead. But we don't go around telling people that, k?
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
            I'm already dead. But we don't go around telling people that, k?
            Trying to duck a medical bill?

Comment

I'd probably tell folks on the CF site I'm part of. I go on Facebook maybe once a month, but the people there who I care about would know. Otherwise, they could find out if there was a death announcement in the paper like everyone else.

Comment

Here and someplace else. You're like my second family anyway.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My wife and husband have access to my list of frequently-used sites. If I died, they could and would take care of the announcements. So long as we didn't all die together.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    So long as we didn't all die together.
                    I tend to get freaked out when I hear about a major disaster. 9/11, the train station bombings in the UK, and othe major catastrophies that happened in places where people I know could have frequented.

Some people think I'm nuts when I send a million e-mails asking everyone to check in, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't care about them.

In reguards to the phone or in person issue, I would probably at least post a video on Youtube. Make it private and send the link out. Like Seshat said, if I passed before I had a chance to do that, I would want my brothers or someone to let everyone else know.

Comment

If I did post to a site, the message would probably read something like this:

"Jester's dead. Crank up the rock music, have a beer, and kiss someone!!!"

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll!

By the way, it will be stated in my will (if I ever get around to actually doing one) that if there is any kind of memorial service for me, there should be rock music playing and an open bar. I still say the Irish are the ones who got it right. Someone dies, they throw a party!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

I don't think I'd announce anywhere. I also don't think anyone would really realize it for a while. Not trying to be negative, just that I have a reputation for disappearing, sometimes for a couple weeks at a time, when I get really into a painting. So even my roommates wouldn't notice for maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          If I did post to a site, the message would probably read something like this:

"Jester's dead. Crank up the rock music, have a beer, and kiss someone!!!"

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll!

By the way, it will be stated in my will (if I ever get around to actually doing one) that if there is any kind of memorial service for me, there should be rock music playing and an open bar. I still say the Irish are the ones who got it right. Someone dies, they throw a party!
                          LOL my funerary arrangements are very similar.

I plan on donating my dearly departed ass to science, dissection or crash testing, I don't care. Part me out, I'm out of my body and don't need it. After they are done, I have a plot all ready for the cremains. Since my body isn't going to be involved in my funeral, it is going to be a nice party held at a convenient hall with music and a nice buffet, with an open bar. I have a guest list that I keep updated, and a playlist, and a menu with hall suggestions.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Gee I guess I would do FB first and the word would probably spread from there to here and other places I frequent.
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I'd do what my friend did 3 years ago,let everybody know & make sure there was a good party planned.

I was tasked with organizing the jam session & came up with the idea that we should put a pic I had of him on his chair next to his amp & guitar.His widow told all the musicians to dip their guitar picks & drumsticks into his ashes so we'd all have a bit of Bob in our instruments,I'd like that.
                              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X