This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To apologize or not to apologize

So, I have a problem. That problem is that I don't have a debit card, so the only way I can pay for things is cash.

Unfortunately, sometimes the only cash I have is coins.

I've seen a lot of people on here complaining about people apologizing when they only have coins.

This isn't rude or rhetorical. I just want to know, in general.

Would it be less offensive to NOT apologize for only having coins?
    Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Why would you want to apologize in the first place? Coins ARE legal tender for all debts public & private. It's not like you're paying with Monopoly money...lol.

Comment

I dunno, but a lot of people on here complain about people paying in coins, but they also complain when people apologize for it.

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Depends on just how many coins you are using. If you're making me count a million pennies, I'm gonna be annoyed. A few/several dollars in quarters, not so much.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Go to the bank, ask for coin rolls. Roll the coins up and go to the bank and exchange them for cash. (Please don't go to Staples and buy coin rolls. They're free at the bank.)

Or use the coins at the uscan.
          To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
          my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Quoth joe hx
            That's what I do. No fee then for selling them to the bank or credit unions around here.

Comment

Quoth joe hx View Post
              Go to the bank, ask for coin rolls. Roll the coins up and go to the bank and exchange them for cash. (Please don't go to Staples and buy coin rolls. They're free at the bank.)

I don't have a car. The bank's a bit of a ways away, and I can't always walk there.

Also. Staples SELLS coin rolls? The hell?

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure I see the issue. I had a guy one pay for $200 in purchases with toonies and loonies. Set the store up for those coins for a couple of weeks and the guy was practically a hero to us during that time.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

One time at the gas station, two girls came in with a ziplock bag with $20 in quarters to pay for gas.

I wasn't very happy, but it wasn't that hard to count. My till was pretty heavy after that, though.

People constantly paid for smokes with quarters, but back then, ciggs were less than $4 a pack, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Nowadays with them being $7 or more, I think that may be a problem for some.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

A lot less of a problem if you sort and stack them in 2's (halves), 4's (quarters), and 5's (pennies, nickels, dimes & dollars) for the counter person to check.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      One time at the gas station, two girls came in with a ziplock bag with $20 in quarters to pay for gas.

I wasn't very happy, but it wasn't that hard to count. My till was pretty heavy after that, though.

People constantly paid for smokes with quarters, but back then, ciggs were less than $4 a pack, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Nowadays with them being $7 or more, I think that may be a problem for some.
                      ROFL in 2006 my friend and i did that. When you said that, i was wondering if it were me and her :P

As many stated, while it may be annoying to count out a bunch of coins, it's not so bad if you (the customer) count it out for them. Do it on the counter so they can count with you. It makes it easier for them, i'm sure, and you have double checked the count.

When i handled money, i always had them count it to me then i count it, or if they got change, i would count it out to them in their hand so they saw it. If i was wrong, i was wrong and i'd fix it. You gotta have two ppl count when making change or paying with cash...just easy
                      I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

Unless you were in Wisconsin, it wasn't you. Although the quarter incident happened in 2006. Creepy!

I really didn't care that much, by that time I had developed this amazing technique in counting money that it took no time and it was moreso the people who tried to pay in couch change and lint and old Dorritos that bothered me.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Unless you are paying a $20 purchase with nothing but nickels and pennys, I don't see a problem paying with coins but it would be better to go to a Coinstar machine or to the bank to get bills. That way you aren't carrying around a lot of coins.

I also would advise not paying with rolls of coins, either. Some places, like Random Craft Store, will only accept the rolls if the rolls are broken by the cashier -- you can thank scammers for that.
                          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                            Unless you are paying a $20 purchase with nothing but nickels and pennys, I don't see a problem paying with coins but it would be better to go to a Coinstar machine or to the bank to get bills. That way you aren't carrying around a lot of coins. I also would advise not paying with rolls of coins, either. Some places, like Random Craft Store, will only accept the rolls if the rolls are broken by the cashier -- you can thank scammers for that.
                            This. I have to break them. But if a customer shows lays out coins groups at a time, can easily eyeball how much is there. I eyeball it, move it toward me, and mentally add in the next group until I have enough. Finger-counting not necessary.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              This. I have to break them. But if a customer shows lays out coins groups at a time, can easily eyeball how much is there. I eyeball it, move it toward me, and mentally add in the next group until I have enough. Finger-counting not necessary.
                              This. Counting coins is only irksome if the customer pushes them towards me willy-nilly, and then keep pushing new ones into the stacks of old so that everything gets mixed up.
                              The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Working...
                              X