This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade B maple

is grade B for a reason: a different, more intense flavor. I thought I'd try it on my waffles because it's a third cheaper than Grade A. IMO, it's too intense for my waffles, but really improves the flavor of light pancake syrup (I put 1 part to 1 part). If I do that, I save $ and 50 calories a serving. Anyone else really like real maple blood?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I've got leftover Grade B from doing the Master Cleanse. It was a strange clash of flavors on my pumpkin waffles!
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

I won't use the fake stuff unless there is absolutely no other option. Which is a problem as the real stuff is like $20 a bottle now.

I think the problem stems from the fact that I grew up in a town with a maple....orchard? production facility. So we always got the real stuff because it wasn't very much more expensive than the fake.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I *love* real maple syrup - too bad it's so expensive. Nothing better than seeing whatever you poured it on gets crushed under the weight.

Whenever we go up to New England I make sure we get some.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I'm picky with my syrup. Has to be grade A, medium amber. Anything else and I just won't enjoy it.

Comment

oh grade B syrup, how delicious thou art.

Slightly off topic but not really story:

A group of my actor/tech crew friends do breakfast every sunday morning. They make waffles, everyone who shows up takes a turn washing dishes. All their dishes get washed and tasty tasty waffles are had by all. Well last week we killed their gallon bottle of grade B. From the kitchen I hear:

"The gallon of maple syrup is dead!"

And without missing a beat 20 or so people around me call back:

"Long live the gallon of maple syrup!"

I love theater people
            Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

There are a bunch of home-grown Maple Syrup farms that I get my stuff from :P

I use Grade A Dark Amber for everything, I just don't use a lot when eating it straight up. I have an amazing maple-nut cookie recipe.

6Cups (50 Oz) Chopped nuts of your choice
              1 egg
              1/4 C (2 Oz) Maple Syrup

Back in oven 350 Fahrenheit (175 Celsius) for 10-15 Min until slightly browned and shiny.

Let cool before consuming. Hot nuts hurt.
              "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Wow, no flour? I guess people with gluten issues can eat it, unless allergic to nuts or eggs. Is there an egg sub that would work? (My stepsister can't have gluten or eggs or dairy. ) As for the theater people,

Comment

Quoth noone View Post
                  Hot nuts hurt.
                  Is it wrong that the first thing in my brain was "That's what she said" and start giggling like a mad person?

I will go to my corner now.

*snort*
                  Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    Anyone else really like real maple blood?
                    Yes but I haven't bought any lately.

Maybe my parents will let me drill in their big maple tree in the backyard.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I love the real stuff, and refuse to use the fake crap. If I am going to the trouble to work pancakes or waffles into my food for the day, I want to enjoy it.
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I'm the kind of guy who likes to have pancakes with his maple syrup. As a result, while I like the intense flavor of the grade B and dark amber syrups, I tend not to have them; believe it or not, you CAN have too much of a good thing!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          Wow, no flour? I guess people with gluten issues can eat it, unless allergic to nuts or eggs. Is there an egg sub that would work? (My stepsister can't have gluten or eggs or dairy. ) As for the theater people,
                          If you know anything about foods, (and judging by your name, you do) The egg is used as a binder. if there's non eggy binders out there, they'd probably work.

Quoth Elspeth View Post
                          Is it wrong that the first thing in my brain was "That's what she said" and start giggling like a mad person?

I will go to my corner now.

*snort*
                          that's why I winked On a side note: THAT'S WHAT YOUR MOOOM SAID!
                          "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

I like the light amber, but that's the more expensive kind; once the season's supply is gone, it's gone until next year. I think we have some of that as well as some of the medium amber right now. Gotta be the real stuff for us, I won't buy the imitation crap. We usually get some at the county fair and try to make it last as long as possible.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth noone View Post
                              If you know anything about foods, (and judging by your name, you do) The egg is used as a binder. if there's non eggy binders out there, they'd probably work.
                              Sorry, I don't think I expressed that clearly enough. Does anyone know what type of egg replacer would work? I believe EnerG makes a powder that can be mixed with water and I've heard something about flax seeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X