This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    Sorry, I don't think I expressed that clearly enough. Does anyone know what type of egg replacer would work? I believe EnerG makes a powder that can be mixed with water and I've heard something about flax seeds.
    * For a quick fix, you might try mayonnaise; 3 tablespoons per egg. This works because mayonnaise contains eggs, so don't use it if you're vegan or allergic to eggs.
    * Or, if you'd like something more complex (and vegan), try two tablespoons of water, one tablespoon oil, and two tablespoons baking powder. (I have also seen this recipe given without any oil.)
    * 1 tablespoon cornstarch plus 3 tablespoons water will also make one egg.
    * If you liked the banana idea, try adding 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to half a mashed banana
    * Flaxmeal will also work. You can make your own, by grinding flaxseed in a blender. 2 tablespoons of flaxmeal, plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder, plus 3 tablespoons of water will make one egg. (Another recipe calls for simmering 1 tbsn of flaxmeal in 3 tbsn of water, without any BP.)*
    * Gelatin is obviously a good binding agent. Dissolve 1 tablespoon of gelatin in 1 tablespoon cold water, then add 2 tablespoons boiling water. Beat the mix until becomes frothy. Bewarned, gelatin is not vegetarian (agar, or Japanese gelatin, is vegitarian, but works better for replacing the egg whites than for whole eggs).
    * If you find yourself with extra egg whites, 2 egg whites will equal one egg. For baking you may also want to add 1 teaspoon of oil to the whites.
    * You can also buy artificial egg replacements; I'm not going to say much about them here. Look in your local grocery or health food store.

So says this
    "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Wow, thank you. I find I do have to explain a lot why vegetarians don't eat gelatin; people don't seem to know what it actually is. Maple syrup, however is fair game.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My little brother has tapped box elders...

One year he forgot the sap until it had fermented. He tried distilling it (homebrew [SoToSpeak] still) and ended up with a blue green extract that I would have only fed to rats... Very annoying rats.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I love the flavour of maple.

I hate the fact that it has to be imported at ruinous expense.

Damn physics! Make my maple syrup available at Canadian prices, not 'after shipping literally halfway around the world' prices!
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
          X