This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip advice?

So I'm planning a road trip later this month with a few friends, to get some things one of them left in storage when he moved here.

The problems are:
    His car isn't big enough for four people, their stuff, and everything we'll be bringing back (and he shares a car with his fiancée).
    My car is almost 15 years old and has 125,000 miles on it, I'm not sure I trust it to make a 1,600-mile round trip. Plus ... I get 15 mpg if I'm lucky.
    The fourth member of the group doesn't drive, so he doesn't have a car for us to use.

We've been looking at the possibility of renting a car, but the cost is pushing it. Plus, we're a bit concerned, based on what we've heard about certain rental companies.

Does anyone out there in the CS universe know of any car rental places that don't generally have a reputation for screwing over their customers? I've heard a few good things about Enterprise if anyone knows anything about them.

I use Enterprise a lot, and I doubt they're hugely different in the US to how they are in the UK.

Some colleagues and I hired a car in Miami a few years back, to go on a mini road trip to Key West. We used Thrifty in Miami Beach and they were excellent, couldnt fault them.

To be honest, for a 1600 mile trip, i would rather rent a car than put that much wear on mine, esp if mine wasnt the msot reliable to begin with.
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

I'd rent a minivan if you're going that route, to have room for the stuff.
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

My husband travels for work and gets rental cars and recently gave this advice to a friend. Hertz and Enterprise are always a little more spendy, but usually quality cars. Budget is my preferred outfit - Great Cars at a Great price. Dollar, Thrifty and other outfits are alright, but I don't like the quality.
        It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

If 4 people are going, then you'll definitely need a minivan/SUV or two vehicles. My best friend and I have done 4 long road trips together in a regular car, and we just barely had enough room for all the stuff we needed/bought.

As far at the mileage goes, at 15 mpg, 1600 miles, you'd be looking at roughly $425 in gas (I did the math at $4/gallon). What I have always done when calculating my fuel budget for road trips is I add 10% to the total mileage to account for inevitable extra driving that happens (such as pulling off for food), then I take my worst case fuel price and add 10% to that, then round up. I also round the fuel economy down to account for times when you'll be stopped in traffic, etc.

This would put my estimate for gas at almost $800, BUT you'll be dividing that up evenly among all four participants. This is a lot, yes, but still cheaper than flying, and odds are you'll have a surplus at the end of the trip that can be reimbursed back evenly to everyone.

Of course, since as you say the car isn't big enough AND you don't trust it, you'll have to look elsewhere. Personally, I prefer to take my own car because I KNOW what it's maintenance history is and I can take it into the shop a week or so before the trip for an oil change and to get any maintenance done that needs doing to ensure I won't break down when far from home (and so far, I have had ZERO trouble). Yes, this does add miles to the clock, but if it's mostly highway miles then you're not adding nearly as much wear and tear as 1600 miles worth of commuting to work will add on.

As far as general road trip advice goes, make sure you have plenty of music and that everyone going will like it (this has been the biggest problem for me, as my friend and I have different musical tastes). If youhave the room, bring along a cooler full of drinks. Make sure at least some of them are caffeinated to help keep the driver alert. Similarly, bring along some healthy snacks. Both of these will save you money because you won't be buying expensive drinks/snacks at gas stations, etc. Also, keep a couple of bags for trash handy so empty cans/wrappers don't clutter up the car. I usually hang a plastic grocery bag over the back of the headrest, one for cans, the other for trash.

Make sure you have cash on hand to cover an tolls you may encounter. Like with gas, overbudget for this, just in case (I got burned by the $8.30 tolls on I-80 in Ohio). Any unsused money just goes back in your pockets.

Make sure you have your tires properly inflated and that there's plenty of tread left on them (don't forget to check the spare!). Keep a set of jumper cables and an emergency air compressor in the trunk just in case. If someone in the group has AAA, make sure they have their card with them.

Do not rely on a single navigation aid. If you have a GPS, bring along a Goolgle Maps printout as well. AAA also provides custom "Trip Tiks" that are free for members and usually include all sorts of useful goodies like free maps and guidebooks for the states you'll be driving through.

Also, and I can not stress this enough, make sure you bring at least one extra set of car keys along just in case. Give them to someone else in the group. Make sure your registration and insurance are up to date, and that you have proof of both in the car.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

We rent from Hertz a lot (helps that we get a discount with our AAA card) and have never had a problem with them.

And Dave has a lot of good advice, we do all of that when we go on road trips. also bring something to do when you aren't driving. and a music player of some sort with headphones so you can catch some sleep.
            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Are all the drivers at least 25 years old? Most major rental companies won't rent to people under 25.

The major rental car companies rent passenger cars. Even if it is an SUV or mini van, they are not cargo vehicles. If you tear up the interior with your cargo, you will get charged for it.

Budget and Enterprise do rent cargo vehicles, pickups and cargo vans. Down side is that they are typically two seaters. Also try the small local renter and Rent a Wreck (they are not as bad as the name implies). They may have other cargo options, including towing options.

If you have a reliable vehicle with a trailer hitch, UHaul may help with the space issue. A "local" rental for multiple days may be cheaper than one-way rental. I did that to pick up some stuff in Tampa when I lived in the Chicago area.

Personally, I love road trips. Have fun.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

From what I read, you want to do this road trip, but you don't want to leave anyone behind, you don't want to use your vehicle, and you can't afford to rent a car.

At least, that's the way it sounded to me.

My advice is to set your priorities. What is most important here? If it's getting your friend's stuff, then you need to focus on that. If that means leaving a couple people behind, well, so be it. And why IS the non-driver friend going, other than that they're a friend?

Here are your options as I see them:

1. Rent a car or a mini-van/SUV. Upsides: Everyone gets to go, everything can fit, no worries about wear and tear on a personal vehicle, and four people split the costs, so it's financially easier for each person. Downside: It will cost more, between the rental fees and the gas. If you do go this route, I have found that the major rental companies are all great, and that the best deals can be had through one of the major travel websites, such as expedia, travelocity, priceline, hotwire, orbitz, etc. Shop around.

2. Rent a U-Haul trailer to tow behind a personal vehicle. Upsides: You fit everything, everyone gets to go, four people split the costs. Downside: Still spending money on gas and the trailer, and adding wear and tear to a vehicle, so it may not be a better choice than renting a vehicle.

3. Leave some people behind and take a personal vehicle. Upside: No rental fees, you fit everything in the vehicle. Downside: Wear and tear on the vehicle, not as many people to help, less people to split the costs.

4. Win the lottery and have it all shipped. Upside: Easiest method. Downside: Not bloody likely.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  And why IS the non-driver friend going, other than that they're a friend?
                  The four of us are all rather close friends. We've been looking for a trip to take together, and even with a car rental this would be cheaper than almost anything else we could do.

Quoth Jester View Post
                  1. Rent a car or a mini-van/SUV.
                  This seems to be our best option.

Quoth Jester View Post
                  2. Rent a U-Haul trailer to tow behind a personal vehicle.
                  Also, none of us has ever driven with a trailer before, and I don't think 14 hours of highway driving is the best bet for a first time. Plus, their car won't be able to handle it, and I really wouldn't trust mine with a trailer.

Comment

Bring many many many wetnaps. Best tip for a roadtrip ever!
                    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth phoenixv07 View Post
                      Also, none of us has ever driven with a trailer before, and I don't think 14 hours of highway driving is the best bet for a first time. Plus, their car won't be able to handle it, and I really wouldn't trust mine with a trailer.
                      Good thinking,towing takes some practice & the proper equipment on the vehicle.

Sometimes I'll see a 1/2 ton truck towing a trailer meant for a 3/4 or 1 ton,the front end's 6" in the air & they're all over the road.I pass them as fast as I can.
                      "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth phoenixv07 View Post
                        I did just that, towing a trailer the length of Florida, from the northern end 550 miles south to Key West, just over a year ago, for my eldest niece. Not just to help her out, but because everyone agreed it would probably be better to have an experienced driver haul the trailer than to have her do so. Even though I had never hauled a trailer, I have been driving longer than she's been alive, and I have driven a wide variety of vehicles, so we all felt more confident with me at the wheel.

And while the Jestermobile kicked ass, the experience sucked. I never want to do it again, frankly. If you ever want to know what it's like to drag a 5,000 brick several hundred miles, load up a trailer and haul it behind you. Not. Fun.

But if you did do it, you would want a vehicle capable of it and one you trusted. Sounds like you have neither. So bag that, and have fun with the rental!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                        X