This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul..........Interrupted :(

Hubby and I went to an advanced screening of Paul last night. (for those who dont know, it is the new Simon Pegg/Nick Frost film)

Halfway thru the film, it started running upside down and backwards This went on for about 10 mins before it stopped, the houselights came back up and we were informed we could not see the rest of the film due to technical problems.

The theatre comped everyones tickets and everyone was really nice about the whole thing.

My favourite comment from someone sitting behind us while the film was running backwards (complete with backwards sound) = " Damn, I hate these foreign films"

Looks like I will have to wait till the end of the week (when it officially opens) to see how it ends
    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Doh!

The film is shipped on several different reels that are assembled into a single large length of film that rests on a platter. Someone at the factory, or a prior theater where that film was being shown, wound that part of the film onto a reel in reverse (or did all of them in reverse first and didn't reverse that one), and the person who spliced them together didn't check properly.

Dumbass. Double-checking for that is part of the job, and you're supposed to test-run the film before showing it to the public.

Comment

Aw, that sucks. When I was in college I used to work on the movie committee. Our projectors were really old and it was pretty much expected that the movie would stop at some point. We once showed a 3-reel movie on only one projector (we could use the other to rewind the reel, and it took two of us to switch it over without getting it all twisted up). Made an announcement before we started that there would be a few minutes "intermission" between reels...no one was particularly surprised. My senior year we ended up showing a lot of older movies that we could get on DVD (most of the movies were in between the theater and DVD); one weekend we did all three Indiana Jones movies each night.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that movies are delivered digitally these days, do they actually still use film?

How archaic
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Most theaters still use film, as the digital projectors are expensive and not all theater owners would benefit from upgrading. Besides, digital projection is really only of benefit for films shot digitally, and AFAIK a lot of films are still made using film.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Yea at my work place, we get the film reels which I've been told can run up to 2 million dollars. () It might be more now.

Comment

Ha. When I went to the opening of the first Lord of the Rings film, they began as usual by running the trailers for upcoming movies.....with the bottom part of the picture at the top of the frame, and the top part at the bottom. You couldn't even really see most of the part at the bottom.

I damn near freaked. I went out and told one of the ticket takers, who by then were kinda bored because most people actually showed up early for this, and he went back to tell the person in the projection booth...who apparently was unaware of the problem.

As I told the guy, I didn't wait 25 years* for that film to only watch the bottom half of it.

*by then it had been 25 years since I first read the book
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                Doh!

The film is shipped on several different reels that are assembled into a single large length of film that rests on a platter. Someone at the factory, or a prior theater where that film was being shown, wound that part of the film onto a reel in reverse (or did all of them in reverse first and didn't reverse that one), and the person who spliced them together didn't check properly.

Dumbass. Double-checking for that is part of the job, and you're supposed to test-run the film before showing it to the public.
                Yeah, I figured it was something like this.

The theatre staff were really nice and no one got really sucky about it.

So we have to wait a couple more days to see it = Meh! Shit happens
                "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
                  Halfway thru the film, it started running upside down and backwards This went on for about 10 mins before it stopped
                  How long into the 10 minutes did someone go cinform someone about the situation?
                  I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                  X