This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital camera time!

I'm thinking it is time to retire my HP R818 camera, the batteries are swollen (going bad and it's harder to get them out). Yeah, I could get a battery kit for $12 on Amazon (including charger) but I'm thinking the camera is on its way out anyway, the lens cover won't open all the way so most pictures have a black area near the lower left corner.

Are there suggestions on digital cameras? I'd like good resolution and fast picture taking (and fast bootup time). Also important, and no one seems to advertise this, is multishot. The R818 can take about 2-3 shots in 2 seconds which is a little slow but will do for a non DSLR camera.

I'd love to get a DSLR camera but they're still too expensive (I was hoping this one would last until they went down a little more). I've seen ones w/ lenses for as low as $600 - I'd love to find one under $400 (then I'd consider it - even if it was clearance, etc..). I'd love to have high speed multishot.

SD card would be a plus, also.

Suggestions?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I'll talk to one of my historical re-enactors for some of that advice as she has a DSLR camera.

Regardless, the camera I currently own and use is a Kodak EasyShare C140. Does quite a nice job and is very simple to use. Also takes SD cards and seems to handle batteries quite well.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
      I'd love to find one under $400 (then I'd consider it - even if it was clearance, etc..). I'd love to have high speed multishot.
      newegg currently has the olympus pen DSLR with lens for $433(on sale-price only shown in cart as it is a $600 camera. TIger direct has it for $399.99 with lens-so there ya go under $400

Personally I have a lot of love for cannon cameras

Canon SX130 IS

Canon PowerShot SX210 IS
      this one is a small "pocket camera" that has a 14x optical zoom while most have maybe 3-4x
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I love my Nikon D50 (older yes but still works great)....cause I love DSLRs

At the time it was about 1000 bucks but now you could probably get a used one cheap maybe?
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

There are some used D50's on Amazon for under $400 - D3100 (new version) under $600. The resolution seems a little low on the D50, though (but then again, do I really need over 6.1 MP?)
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Depends on what you are planning on using said camera for.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

You can get the camera for under 400....then you start getting the lenses and it starts to get expensive. If you aren't terribly sure what you want to do with the camera, I would suggest one of the higher end point and shoots. Those are pretty close to having a DSLR without the range of the aperatures.

Comment

I've got a Nikon D40, and have been very happy with it. It's only 6 MP, but I can still enlarge up to 8x10 with no problems. Haven't tried going any bigger. The only issue with the D40-type is that it has a more limited lens selection. I can use most any recent Nikon lens, but for full auto-focus, the lens needs to have it's own focus motor.

I also have a Canon point n shoot. It's only 5 MP, but I've printed 8x10 images from it too. The only limitation on the compact camera would be the zoom range. My DSLR can go from 18mm-300mm. My compact camera needs to use the digital zoom for that type of reach, and there is a noticable loss of quality when I'm using digital zoom.

If you're open to a used camera, they can be had for under $400. A friend just bought a like-new Canon Rebel XSi (with a lens & bag) off of eBay. It was through a local seller, and it works great. It'll be going to Alaska on our upcoming cruise, along with my Canon compact, and my Nikon.
                That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

My main disappointments with point and shoot cameras are the lack of a good zoom and the inability to take multiple shots quickly, my R818 will take 2-3 in about 2 seconds (3 is also the max number of pictures it will take in a "burst" mode), I want a lot more (in dog sports 1/10th of a second can be the difference between a great shot of a bite and a shot of a helper just standing there).
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                    My main disappointments with point and shoot cameras are the lack of a good zoom and the inability to take multiple shots quickly, my R818 will take 2-3 in about 2 seconds (3 is also the max number of pictures it will take in a "burst" mode), I want a lot more (in dog sports 1/10th of a second can be the difference between a great shot of a bite and a shot of a helper just standing there).
                    The Point and Shoots I was referring to were the upper end of the point and shoot spectrum. They usually run from about 250 to 450. Most of them have at least a 20X opitical zoom lens. I'm not sure about the burst modes on them but the Canons have the same sensor that my 50D has and that has a pretty decent burst mode. But as I said, it all depends on what you want to do with it. If you're doing dog shows, you might want to seriously consider a DSLR and as others have pointed out, you can get a decent one use....but then there is the matter of the lenses....

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                      the inability to take multiple shots quickly, my R818 will take 2-3 in about 2 seconds (3 is also the max number of pictures it will take in a "burst" mode), I want a lot more (in dog sports 1/10th of a second can be the difference between a great shot of a bite and a shot of a helper just standing there).
                      good luck with that the nikkon D5100(which runs about $900) only takes four frames per second.

the D7000(runs $1200 without a lens) only gets six.

Hell professional cameras like the D3X from nikkon(which will only set you back eight grand before lenses) only get 6-7 max.

Quite frankly, what you want has not been invented yet, and most likely won't be, a camera with a shutter speed of 1/8000(which is the absolute fastest made to date), only shoots 5 frames per second on continuous high-speed.
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

3-4 frames per second is far better than 2-3 in 2 seconds.

OK, 10 per second may be much but I'm looking for good burst shots.
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I never actually timed what mine can do, but I think it is around 5 to 7 frames per second.

Comment

Canon EOS 50D? That's about $770 used right now.

Anyone have recommendations for burst shots?
                            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Even though it is not a DSLR camera, many people have been suggesting this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...in;contentBody

The Panasonic Luminx DMC-FZ100 for under $500

Edit: I'm also hearing about the Nikon D3100 and D5000 - both are out of my price range but I could save up or do the unthinkable - beg my wife for some $$$.
                              Last edited by draggar; 05-08-2011, 03:04 PM.
                              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                              X