This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tornado in Joplin Missouri

I know we have people on here who live in Missouri...I pray you are all okay!!!

I'm not in Joplin, but it headed this way (south of Springfield) after. The sirens went off probably eight times, but everything stayed south closer to Branson and way up north. Fortunately nothing hit out here. It is not a good night to be in Missouri. *hides under her desk*
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

There were also severe storms/tornadoes in southeastern Kansas, Minneapolis, and parts of Wisconsin. A friend is in LaCrosse, and her house is one of the few in her neighborhood without a tree through it. Joplin got hit really bad though; the local news just said that 70% of the town is gone. The hospital was hit, which is just terrible. Especially because it's rather isolated. The nearest big down is probably Springfield, and it's, what, an hour away? Or more?

Fiance and I were just talking about what an active tornado season it's been already.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I saw that. Heck I was tracking the storms that were rolling through our area and all I could think of was "Not another Good Friday storm."

I swear, TPTB must really have it in for the midwest and southeast this year.

As for Joplin, it's sort of a stop over town after you cross into Missouri and head towards Springfield, which if I remember correctly is about an hour or two away going up 44. Shoot, I remember driving into Joplin and staying the night there. There was a huge thunderstorm ahead of me and it was so humid. I think my friend told me at the time when I called to let him know where I was "Welcome to Missouri - the nations armpit of weather."
        Random conversation:
        Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
        DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

That is terrible. I remember my fiance and I driving around Joplin looking for the airport several years ago. It's a pretty small town. My fiance also has family out in Minneapolis but they are okay thankfully. It's been quite the active tornado season. We even had a small tornado near me a few days ago and we rarely get them here.

Comment

It's sad....89 confirmed dead and 75% of the town destroyed. I'm praying for them. This year looks like a real bad tornado season.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Heh heh...I just had some random brain junk float to the surface.

During the Vacation From Hell (the Missouri Ozarks in 1992, I think, so named because I was sick as a dog through most of it), we wanted to stay overnight in Joplin one night, but ended up not doing so. It turned out to be a fortunate decision, because they had a bad storm with high winds and hail and such that night.

I knew there was a reason I kept thinking "I know Joplin, Missouri from somewhere but I don't know where."
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
              X