This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduation present ideas?

The daughter of a friend is graduating this month with an Associate's Degree in Human Services and a Bachelor's Degree in Technology Management. She also studied film. Talented kid!

Any suggestions?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Money!

Seriously, if she's been in school, chances are that she's low on funds. I would suggest either a gift certificate to a store or a nice restaurant. Or take her out to a nice dinner, depending on how well you know her.

If you don't like that idea, when I graduated high school, someone gave me a really nice, professional school bag that was monogrammed with my initials.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I just graduated college on Saturday so I can definitely say that money would be appreciated. AdminAssistant's suggestion of a gift card is also a good one if you want to be slightly more personal than just cash. When I graduated from high school, my aunt gave me a gift card to Barnes & Noble and I had so much fun picking out books. If she's still really interested in film, maybe you could get her a book on that? Definitely ask your friend for suggestions, that's what my family did, especially to make sure that there's no doubling on presents.
      "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I could have all kinds of suggestions, but first I would need some questions answered:

What is your budget?

What does this person plan on doing professionally with their degree(s)?

What other interests do they have? For example, while it was completely unrelated to my studies in school, I've always been a music fan and a cyclist. What are the grad's personal interests? Remember, a graduation present doesn't have to be directly related to their chosen professional field.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          I could have all kinds of suggestions, but first I would need some questions answered:

What is your budget?

What does this person plan on doing professionally with their degree(s)?

What other interests do they have? For example, while it was completely unrelated to my studies in school, I've always been a music fan and a cyclist. What are the grad's personal interests? Remember, a graduation present doesn't have to be directly related to their chosen professional field.
          I was hoping I could surprise her, so I didn't want to ask too many questions. I did think of money or a gift card, but it seems so impersonal...but it would probably be welcome. She's got a job already lined up in a town nearby, so probably a gift card or cash would be the best thing after all...moving expenses and all that...
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Perhaps a gift card to a home store? Pier 1, IKEA (if they have them in your neck of the woods), or even Target? Something to help her get set up in her new place.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I was hoping I could surprise her, so I didn't want to ask too many questions.
              That's why you ask family members, namely your friend.
              "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I'd have to chime in and say money. That's what everyone got me when I was graduating. Though it would have been nice to get a computer, that wasn't going to happen.

I plan on getting a gift card for the husband's niece this weekend. We won't be able to make it to her party. We figure a $25 visa gift card from our credit union will be nice to have. We had thought about a Walmart card, but when I saw the gift cards during my last visit to the CU, I thought that would be a better idea.

I don't think of it as impersonal, but more like "Here, you know what you'd like, let me help you buy it."
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I like the idea of a personalized super-nice carrying thingy-- book bag, briefcase, something in between... but money isn't a bad choice. It's flexible, and you know it will get used!
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

My friend just graduated with her Bachelor's in History. I got her a gift card for B&N so she could "get something to read that's not about Nazis" and a pen and pencil set...cliche stuff, really, cuz she's 36 and has been doing night/online classes forever now. (Well, I'm sure it seems like it to her.)
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                    X