This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog people, a question

What's the best way to introduce two dogs?

My new downstairs neighbor has 4 dogs, a black lab and 3 um, shitzu's?, can't remember. My dog has already met two of the tiny dogs, and pretty much seemed to ignore them, so I'm not much worried about that. The thing I am worried about is the black lab. I really want them to get along because Violet (the lab) isn't getting walked enough because her people are old and she's not leash trained. Barring getting them to give her up to a better home (I'd adopt her myself, if I could afford it, she's an absolute darling) I'd like to get her out more, and hopefully get her trained so her people can get her out more, but if she doesn't get on with my dog, it's going to become a lot more difficult to get her out. (Though I don't plan on taking them out together until I get Violet to understand that running along at full tilt is a non starter with a rope tied to her neck)

Oh, yeah, my dog often, but not always, takes an instant dislike to dogs close to his size.

tl:dr version I really want my dog to get along with my neighbors dog, haaalllp!
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Introduce them slowly and in a neutral environment (a park, on a leash at first, etc..).

Leashed so you can pull them back if there's an issue.

Neutral environment so that one doesn't think the other is some stranger invading their territory.

Lots of positive motivation, too.

But - even if they get along in neutral places doesn't guarantee they'll get along in your home. You'll have to very closely monitor them.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
    X