This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    The list is short: The Who, Meat Loaf, Melissa Etheridge, Tom Petty, Jimmy Buffett, and The Go-Go's.
    Wooooo I can actually claim to have seen 2 bands off your list of bands you haven't seen (We'll ignore the fact that you've seen WAAAAY more bands than me!)

The Who are absolutely amazing in concert - we saw them at an outdoor festival as the headliners and it was well up there as one of the best shows I've ever seen. (The others being Bruce Springsteen, Muse and Aerosmith).

I wouldn't see Meat Loaf again - the second time I saw him he was really beginning to struggle vocally and although he still pulled off a storming show from more recent reports of his live shows his voice is shot to pieces sadly.

There's a few bands on my wish-list to see; AC/DC, Green Day, Thunder and Van Halen are the most wanted ones though.
    "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

You make me jealous! I got off to a late start though. I went to my first not-classical-music concert in my mid-twenties, and didn't start actively trying to attend concerts until I was nearly thirty. (And that was just a few years ago, I'm not that old. Though some days I feel ancient, but that's another subject entirely.

I've seen so much classical music I couldn't possibly name everything. Comes of having a father who's a professional classical musician. (French Horn.)

Which actually reminds me, I should go post one of his hilariously weird horn videos over in the check it out section, I bet it'd give some people a chuckle.
      The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

By contrast, here is my list of classical music concerts I've been to:

Yep, that about sums it up.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm a bit claustrophobic in crowds of people and hate the "way too loud" quality of most live music, but I have been to a few concerts:

George Jones/Conway Twitty
          Brooks and Dunn
          (Those were as a kid)

The Birthday Massacre (GREAT show, although Chibi was sick)
          The Dresden Dolls (Right before they split. Amanda Palmer got realllly drunk. In her blog, she called it her 'Behind the Music' moment. They were great, but they had way too many lame opening acts.)
          Billy Joel/Elton John

That last concert was actually really, really awesome. No opening acts, just two great musicians. They did some songs together. Then Elton John did his set. The man's an absolute virtuoso on the piano. He'd take every song and add bits here and there. "Rocketman" was easily 15 minutes long. He didn't really speak to the crowd at all, though. Then Billy Joel came on, after consuming more than a few adult beverages I believe. He told a lot of lame/funny jokes, mostly aimed at himself. He played a LOT of songs, but very similar to the radio version. The only bad part was when he grabbed a guitar and stumbled around for "We Didn't Start the Fire". Oh, he also humped his piano. Then danced on top of it. Then they did a few more songs together, finishing with "Candle in the Wind" and "Piano Man." Awesome concert.

We were supposed to go see DJ Tiesto a while back, but Fiance wasn't feeling good so we decided to skip it. But I think another one of his favorite DJ's is coming to KC soon...maybe Gareth Emery?
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            He didn't really speak to the crowd at all, though.

He told a lot of lame/funny jokes, mostly aimed at himself.
            I have seen a few musicians who were quite funny. And I don't mean Mojo Nixon, whose whole act is funny, but musicians who have serious music who you wouldn't normally think of as funny.

Don Henley is hilarious, surprisingly enough. And for years I described him as the funniest musician I've ever seen. Until I saw Jewel. Who was HILARIOUS! At one point during the concert, she sat down on the front of the stage and just chatted with the audience. I guess really AT the audience, since it was more of a monologue than a dialogue. Anyway, she had us in absolute stitches! Truly a funny woman, which you would never guess from her music.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Nah, these were mostly one-liners like, "I'm not actually Billy Joel; I'm his dad. Billy Joel is much younger and better looking, with a full head of hair." and "I'm sorry to the folks sitting behind me who are just getting a lot of head right now." and, looking at our section, behind the stage, "Those seats don't suck as much as you thought they would, do they?"
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Sadly, a lot of musicians who think they are comedians are horribly, horribly wrong.

Which is why I was so impressed with Henley and Jewel....they both really ARE funny.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Hey Sparks - if your interest/appreciation of 'classic' rock is burgeoning, I urge you to seek out as many of the great bluesmen as you can. The roots of rock are still accessible, but they ARE aging (pretty damn well in a lot of cases) and your window is limited.

I've got to run, but saw you were on line and wanted to get this in. I'll come back and do my show braggin' later.

Comment

Last concert I went to was the Roger Waters Wall show. It was pretty cool. Although it would have been cooler had David Gilmour been up on the wall instead of whoever was there (that guy wasn't bad...but David Gilmour is David Gilmour).

Comment

The problem is, there isn't a stage big enough for both Gilmour's talent and Waters's ego.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        The problem is, there isn't a stage big enough for both Gilmour's talent and Waters's ego.
                        Actually they played together at one of the London shows.

Comment

I've listened to some blues, but it is not at all up my alley. Blues and rock are related, but they're not the same thing. And it's not my appreciation that's burgeoned, it's my ability to do things without my mother breathing down my neck.
                          The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                            Actually they played together at one of the London shows.
                            Yeah and annoyingly it was the night after I went to the show!

It was still an amazing show though - goes to show how far the technology has come to achieve some of the effects they had.
                            "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

Working...
                            X