This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay .. new virus!

I have some .. technology deficient relatives staying with me. I can not count how many times I've warned them. "If something pops up saying that your computer is at risk/etc..come get me immediately..if not sooner..and for all that is holy..do not click on it. It is a virus." Welllll...we all probably know where this is headed right? I've got to give the scum that made this credit (sorry for insulting all the scum out there), it is really difficult to get rid of..especially since it hijacks your start up.

Called Windows Recovery 7 for those of you who want to make sure to avoid it, McAfee and Malwarebytes even had to be updated to finally track it down and thrash it..and even then..had to be ran simultaneously..and we all know what resource hogs anti-spyware can be. Just would love these jokers who have no life, but do these things, to DIAF thanks. Will probably be scrubbing my hard drive for a week now.

Edit : Oh and bonus .. it hides all your icons, and programs in your start up menu (for the most part) also. Yay.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Yep, its a fun one (!)

Thats the one that caught my son a bit ago. The first I knew was.. Muum, why does Microsoft want me to pay to remove a virus?
    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

It is pretty good at surviving, but malwarebytes especially (once you make sure it is up to date) will get rid of it (finally). Generates a random.exe which can be just about anything (thus the random part)..and seems as soon as you get rid of that one..will generate another random one.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Create a guest account for them with super locked down priviledges. Make sure the AV programs are allowed to all users.
        Also create a rollback spot just after you've cleaned the damn thing.

Once they're gone, delete account. and do another cleaning.

Hope you've got CCleaner installed.
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

May be a moot point at this time. Everytime I solve a problem this virus has caused, five more take it's place. May have to end up just reformating it. Rolling back hasn't worked (to a time I KNOW the computer was working right), and even though the virus is gone for good..my computer is having all kinds of problems because of it. Taking it tomorrow to get a diagonostic to see if it won't cost more then replacing it to fix it.

Comment

We ended up reformatting my sons in the end, but he had said a few days previously that he wanted to do so.
            By the time I got my hands on his machine though, the blooming thing had got into everything! Couldn't run an AV or restore & the browser was throwing up a warning about every web site we wanted to load for online scans etc. As fast as I was killing the processes associated with it & disabling services, it was popping back up again. Lovely thing(!)

I could have had a good shot at removing it remotely, but it was then he chose to tell me that he'd not been able to contact our network since a power glitch a few days earlier. (It had upset the router).
            When normal service was resumed I made a good point in downloading the eicar "virus" to trigger the AV warning so he could see what the proper one looked like

One thing, he will learn from that & I'm sure he'll try not to make the same mistake again.
            His sister however, lost count of the number of times I cleaned stuff off her PC before it sank in
            Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

*nods* It's taken out some of my video drivers, my start up icons, disabled half of my programs, and the other half have issues. It is completely and totally gone from my hard drive, but the damage left is immense.

Comment

I've had that happen before. My sympathies. In at least one case, I had to reformat just to repair all the damage done.

And I'm fairly certain mine got stealth-installed by compromised ads on a few sites I visit, which is why those sites have been blacklisted to Firefox-only access. I honestly prefer to use IE primarily (what? it has features/a design that Firefox doesn't that I prefer, especially in their latest incarnations), but I keep Firefox on hand for the AdBlock abilities.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                X