This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snack food suggestions

I am a grazer. I tend to snack throughout the day, and only have one or two actual meals. The current problem is that my snack foods aren't as good for me as they could be. I'd like to improve things, but I've had some frustrations finding good snack foods. Most of the things I'd like don't really work out for one reason or another.

Here's the criteria I'm having trouble meeting:

1. Doesn't need refrigeration. I do my snacking in my costume studio/computer room mostly. I hate having to interrupt my work to go downstairs and get food. I want food I can keep where I work. I mean, I love celery sticks, but I can't keep them just sitting out for days, they get wilty and nasty.

2. CHEAP. Some of the stuff I'd otherwise eat constantly just isn't affordable. For example, I love rice cakes, but I can eat an entire bag in a single sitting, and they cost like four bucks a bag. I don't have four bucks a day for my snack budget.

3. Healthy. Honestly right now it's mostly leftover Easter candy and cheetos, so even a little bit healthier would be an improvement.

So, CS residents, what snack foods do you like best?
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

How about dried fruit (raisins, banana "chips", dates etc)?

Sometimes I cut some carrot sticks and put them in a Tupperware bowl with a bit of water to prevent them from getting soggy. Eventually with a small cup of hummus or bean dip on the side.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Dried fruit, trail mix, or nuts is a good idea.

Also, while you said you don't want to interrupt your work to go get your snacks, there's nothing saying you can't have fruit or veggies. Yes, they need refrigeration. But here's what you do. When you head in to do your work, grab a bowl or plate of whatever produce turns you on (you mentioned celery, I love snacking on tomatoes myself), and just let them sit while you do your work, occasionally munching on them. When you are done with your day's work, you stick 'em back in the fridge. Cherries, citrus, peaches, melons and berries are especially good for this...you may have noticed that the above tend to be in the non-refrigerated part of the produce section in the supermarket. Also, I have noticed lately on a lot of packages that tomatoes are suppose to NOT be refrigerated for the best flavor. Me, I like my maters chilled, but to each their own.

Also, if you want to get away from grazing, might I suggest Carnation Instant Breakfast? It's a powder in an envelope that you mix with milk...basically the original protein drink, without the horrible taste so many of the bodybuilding ones seem to have. One of those, you may not feel the need to graze as much.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester has some awesome tips.

Start with a good breakfast (even if it's just the Carnation) to give you an initial fill-up.

When you head into the studio, make sure you have a good-sized bottle of water with you. It's easy to overindulge on dry snacks (which is basically anything that fits your non-perishable requirement), so make sure you're drinking water frequently to get that "fuller" feeling. You'll be less likely to overeat the snacks. Overeating even the good stuff is not so good.

I'll add my recommendation for dried fruit, nuts, and trail mixes. I also really like Ritz crackers (get the wheat or the garden vegetable instead of regular for a slight amount of "healthier"). I also like to get mini rice cakes at Walmart. They're about $2.50-$3 a bag depending on flavor here. The trick with them is to have a separate bowl that you pour a handful or so into, then close up the bag and stash it back on your snack shelf or whatever. Limit yourself to that bowlful, then drink water and wait.

Apples are a really good fruit for leaving out on a counter for a few days. Perhaps get yourself a fruit bowl that you take into your workroom with you, and put a few apples, oranges, or similar in it for the day's work. The juicy fruit will help fill you up a bit faster than dried fruit.

Would it be feasible to keep a cooler in there that you can put some more perishable snacks in for the day?
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

A few of us have suggested dried fruit, but I'd like to get more specific. In addition to raisins, of course, there are dried apricots (which my grandmother hooked me on in my childhood), banana chips, "craisins" (dried cranberries), dried blueberries, prunes, etc. (Yes, prunes. They're actually rather tasty.)

As for chips, there are some health (or healthier) chips out there, including (but not limited to) plantain chips, whole grain chips, etc. I was quite surprised at how tasty Tostitos whole wheat chips are (a coworker brought them in to work the other day). Keep in mind, though, that "healthy" chips are only healthy compared to normal chips, but are still pretty much junk food, and can't compare to real healthy stuff like fruits, vegetables, hummus, etc.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Grapes and cheese is one of my favorites. Fruits don't necessarily have to be cold, and the whole point of cheese is to preserve milk at room temp. Nuts can be expensive, but you only need a small handfull to fill you. (The rice cakes don't fill you because they have no fiber and no fat.) I'd be tempted to eat cookies all day, but a better choice is whole wheat bread with a bit of peanut butter or honey, which has fiber to fill you up. I agree with drinking water. It's just best for health.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

if you can find(or order) these they are AMAZING! I'm also fond of clementines(mandarin oranges), and edamame(which is tasty and very good for you!), also snap peas, grape tomatoes, grapes, roma tomatoes, and beef jerky. Pretty much ANY fruit or veggie is fine at room temp(they grow outside after all), refrigeration is just to keep them fresh longer(think days vs. weeks) or maybe at some point one of these should go on your wish list. I've also seen small "dorm fridges" on CL from time to time for under $100(have seen them for $25-$50)
              Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 06-06-2011, 02:30 PM.
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I used to keep a locker full of nuts, sunflower seeds, beef jerky, dried fruit and raisins, a a jar of peanut or almond butter. I also would throw in some fresh fruit, including apples (I got the whole crew at public tv hooked on granny smiths smeared with organic peanut butter (or, "Hippy Butter" as they called it. ).

I'm hypoglycemic, I had to have good solid snack available while I was working, sometimes our shifts would run longer than my blood sugar would.

Comment

Heck, if you have a dehydrator and are making dried fruit, you can also make your own dried fruit leather (like fruit rollups...the things BK linked look similar, but I've never had those so not sure what the texture is like.) Just take your favorite fruits, peeled and seeded, and puree them together. You can also chop them up and simmer them gently with spices to help break the pulp down. You want a mixture about the consistency of applesauce. Line your dehydrator's trays with parchment paper and pour the fruit sauce mixture onto them in a thin layer. In a few hours, you'll have fruit leather.

Of course, if you have a dehydrator you can also make your own jerky, which is amazing and delicious.

There's also roasted chickpeas. I know you can do this with fresh chickpeas, but you have to soak and boil them first, and I've only ever done it with canned. Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas. While still slightly wet, toss with your favorite seasonings. Can be as simple as just salt, or you can use a curry blend, or cinnamon and a bit of sugar if you want them sweet. Spray a baking pan (best to use one with sides, like a jelly roll pan) with non-stick spray and lay the chickpeas out on it in a single layer. Bake at 450 degrees for about 45-60 minutes, tossing every 10-15 minutes. You want them super crunchy; if you try one and it's crunchy on the outside but soft in the middle, stick them back in for a while longer. If they're still soft in the middle, they'll go bad faster.

Comment

Trail mix is one of my favs.

I mix together raisins, golden raisins, dried cranberries, cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans, and pistachios and then toss in some dark chocolate m & m's. You can customize with your fav dried fruits and nuts. Stores for practically forever in an airtight container.

Most fruits and a lot of veggies don't require refrigeration. You can easily prepare a platter of snacks for the day that will be fine w/o refrigeration. Food isn't going to spoil in a day, especially if you have AC.

You could make a fruit & veggie platter w/ hummus & pita and cheese and crackers. You could add some pickles and olives for the salty.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Watch out for banana chips; they're usually deep fried. Dried fruit is good for you but you can easily go overboard on calories with it. Whole fruits last longer cuz they have more water to fill you up. Grapes and berries are good for eating by the handfull.

I like Triscuits as far as crackers go; they have about 3 ingredients, if I recall correctly, the main one being whole wheat.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

What Maggie said about chickpeas, although I like to rinse and drain them completely, and then toss with a tablespoon or two of olive oil and the seasonings, then put them in the oven in a shallow casserole lined with tinfoil.

Comment

all the suggested dried fruits nuts and flakes are amazingly dense calorically speaking, you can get amazingly fat sitting and snacking on that stuff.

Get one of these, you freeze the ring and it keeps the veggies or fruit cold and fresh during the day. You fill it with cut up fruits and veggies [it holds about 3 and a half cups or 6 servings of vegetative matter in the outside 3 compartments, and about a cup or so in the center round compartment that can be used for dips, or a carby crunchy substance like pretzels or mini rice cakes. Fill it, take it upstairs. You won't eat the entire bag of crunchy junk foodness as you do not take the entire bag with you. Costs about 10 bux and shipping. I like to put 4 oz of meat and cheese in the center cup mainly because I am really not into dips, though I occasionally do yoghurt as my protein [the center round thingy has a little lidded cup that fits in there for yoghurt or dip stuff]

Why yes, I actually do monitor what I eat scrupulously, and my 2 snacks and my lunch all fit tidily into one of these, so mrAru can get it ready for me in the morning when I am having a *really* bad body day and don't want to even need to move other than to go pee.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

My usual afternoon snack for work is an apple and string cheese, or sometimes cheddar (I get the individually wrapped sticks so I can keep the portion under control). I also like Greek yogurt (Fage is my favorite) with some fruit or crackers.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I miss being able to snack while at work.

Oatmeal, pineapple, and/or cheese sticks. Yum.
                              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                              X