This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What chu think?

So, i was in my sons elementary school the other day, talking to his GAT teacher (he attends an advanced class a few times a week) and we were reviewing his education plan. My daughter was also there, shes 5, she was sitting on the floor, looking through books. She starts kindergarten this fall. She missed the cut off last year b/c her birthday is in late October; here kids need to be 5 by Sept 1st to attend.

IDK how we got into it, but the GAT teacher asked what pre-school my daughter was in. I told her "none". B/c she isnt . The public programs in my area go to "disadvantaged" children and we make too much to qualify. Theres also private programs, that I dont make enough to pay for. But after I told her "none" she got the most horrified look on her face. I got the feeling (and im good with feelings) that she thought I was a horrible parent for not having my daughter in preschool.

The look was momentary and she got back to our regular business, but thinking about it now is bothering me for some reason.

Thoughts?

Feh. I did just fine without preschool! It's really only for socialization iirc; furthermore, if you're letting her at books this early, it's just fine. Just make sure to start stuff like 'phonemic awareness.' Being in Linguistics (I'm still in school), and having seen some (not a bunch mind you) of research, it concludes that children do so much better at reading if they know about sounds and stuff-- so really easy things like pointing to a letter (like 'b' for example) and telling her about it, and what sounds it can make... this is what they learn in kindergarten! It's proven that children learn phonics and reading in general so much easier if they're introduced to it and eased in. Colors, objects like circles and squares, time-telling, basic safety (like look both ways before crossing the street, etc), clothing/shoe tying, phone numbers... you get the idea. It's stuff your girl's probably learning already.
    That lady is weird.
    Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 06-07-2011, 10:23 PM.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Feh, I intend to home school my children through about 6th or 7th grade. There's nothing wrong with not going to preschool.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

She may have been more curious as to what you do with your kidlet during the day, since you're a nurse (right?) Honestly, with the standards some schools are setting for admission into kindergarten, some experience in a preschool-ish environment is probably a good thing. Pre-K has really helped Nephew develop social skills and get started on reading and such.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Preschool is voluntary for a reason; some kids need it and some kids don't. It's up to the parent to make the call and it's no one's business what you choose for your kid.

I will probably try to find a preschool for Khan, but if we can't afford it, then we can't afford it. But since I stay at home with him it would probably be a good way to get him ready to go to school and be away from me during the week.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
            So, i was in my sons elementary school the other day, talking to his GAT teacher (he attends an advanced class a few times a week) and we were reviewing his education plan. My daughter was also there, shes 5, she was sitting on the floor, looking through books. She starts kindergarten this fall. She missed the cut off last year b/c her birthday is in late October; here kids need to be 5 by Sept 1st to attend.

IDK how we got into it, but the GAT teacher asked what pre-school my daughter was in. I told her "none". B/c she isnt . The public programs in my area go to "disadvantaged" children and we make too much to qualify. Theres also private programs, that I dont make enough to pay for. But after I told her "none" she got the most horrified look on her face. I got the feeling (and im good with feelings) that she thought I was a horrible parent for not having my daughter in preschool.

The look was momentary and she got back to our regular business, but thinking about it now is bothering me for some reason.

Thoughts?
            Well, back when dirt was in beta test Mom my brother and I had come back to the US and were at my Grandparents summer house while she was working on getting our house opened up [we had been living in Germany] I was 4 years old. Columbia in Rochester was a girls boarding school, and I have absolutely no idea why they targeted me, but they sent an admissions lady out to the cottage to try and convince my mom that they needed to send me there when I tuned 5 and was old enough for kindergarten I actually remember it A very nice lady came to visit us, she chatted with me, and gave me paper and crayons and asked me to draw. She must have been devastated, I get sent to a nursery school run by some nuns a couple days a week [the days when Mom's day maids were in t clean the house. Obviously getting me out of the way was more important than schooling ...] and then the local school kindergarten. [I did go to a couple different private schools but they were day schools not boarding schools. I didn't go to a boarding school until I was 12]
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Ffft. My parents had five children. Four of us attended preschools (two different ones, too), one of us didn't. You look at us now, more than 20 years later, and you can't tell the difference.

My husband and I both went to preschool, but as far as reading goes, neither of us really learned it there. Hubby didn't learn reading or letter sounds until kindergarten. I was an oddball in that, thanks to my mom's younger sisters playing "school" with me when I was little, I was reading by myself at age 3. I do distinctly remember the teacher teaching the alphabet in kindergarten and my weirded-out reaction that they started with the letter M.

Frankly, I think that socialization is the best thing for a kid to get out of preschool, and you can get that from daycare or playgroups too. A bit of advance learning is good, but kindergarten classes are usually pretty good about bringing kids up to speed.

The real reasons we have our oldest in preschool right now are to get that socialization without Mommy around, and because the preschool we picked gets her into early enrollment for the kindergarten we want, which in this area is notoriously difficult to get into (it's the only really good school in town, largely because it's where all the students of the local Ivy-league school send their kids). Frankly, that early enrollment was the primary reason. Socialization and getting away-from-Mommy time and the bilingual nature of the class were all secondary considerations. And the only real reason we can afford it without living off of ramen is because my in-laws help out (many thanks to them).

So don't worry about your daughter. If she's still getting the basics (sounds, colors, shapes, interest in books, socialization), then she's good to go in my book.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I didn't go to preschool. I did, however, manage to get held back in freakin' kindergarten, mostly due to lack of social skills I guess. I've always been an advanced reader though. Always went to the next grade level for my reading classes. On a field trip to the hospital once, I was the only one in the group that could read the "big" words on the overhead signs in the halls. Everyone kept asking me to read the signs, and I nicknamed them "read me signs". Seriously, though, it sounds like what the kids have to know to get INTO kindergarten is what they used to learn while IN kindergarten. Craziness. I'd say, though, that as long as your daughter is happy and healthy and learning on her own/with your help fairly well, then don't worry about it. She'll be fine in the long run.
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I didn't go to preschool and turned out about as normal as most posters here. In your OP it almost sounds like your daughter is ahead of those who already are in kindergarden. I think you may be reading too much into that teacher's reaction, Amina.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Neither of my kids went to preschool, and while my daughter is having some difficulties academically (undiagnosed, therefore untreated dyslexia... we're on a waiting list), my son is so academically advanced that his teachers don't know what to do with him. You're not a horrible parent for not having her in preschool. *sigh* Honestly, I've never understood this obsession with getting kids into the "right" preschool. LOL
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Both my brother and I went to preschool, and while I don't know how he views his time there, I feel that it was a big waste of time for me. I didn't learn anything of value while I was there.

Instead, all the basic stuff (alphabet, numbers, shapes, etc.) I learned in Grade Primary (aka Kindergarten). Preschool was basically just a babysitting service for all the good it did me.
                      my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                      it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

As long as you're teaching your daughter the basics of reading and ABC's and counting, you're already ahead of the curve for most students. That's the big thing for preschool nowadays: they try to give students that "head start" they need for making sure they're "ready for kindergarten". Bah.
                        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

She does well; knows her letters, colors, shapes and numbers. Can do simple math and reading (thanks Sprout!!). I dont feel bad about it. Just the look of disgust threw me for a loop. I really figure. Shes going to be in school for 12+ years....why rush her?

Thanks for all your views.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                            She does well; knows her letters, colors, shapes and numbers. Can do simple math and reading (thanks Sprout!!). I dont feel bad about it. Just the look of disgust threw me for a loop. I really figure. Shes going to be in school for 12+ years....why rush her?

Thanks for all your views.
                            Sounds like she's in an awesome position to start kindergarten. I don't know the exact details of the kindergarten-prep test that my daughter and her classmates took recently, but they all scored 3's or higher (they have an awesome pre-k teacher, well worth the tuition), and the school district wants the kids to have a score of 1 before starting kindergarten. So yours sounds all set without the fancy pre-k experience. Go you!
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                            X