This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now for something amusing/puzzling

My girls played outside in our inflatable kiddie pools yesterday afternoon, and I left them out to dry all night. I deflated them earlier today, and while squeezing out the air noticed something amusing on the larger one.

The bottom layer of the side wall has the usual warnings plastered all around it, but what caught my eye was the presence of three warnings in English. Specifically, there were warnings for the US, Australia, and the UK. Not only that, they were all different.

First and largest was the Australian warning, which said (in summary), "Competent supervision only. Kids might drown. Don't leave unattended with water since it could get contaminated. Dump out or treat with sanitation stuff." Ok, fair enough.

Next came the US one, in smaller font but about the same length (4 lines). "Don't leave children unattended. No diving. Pool floor may be slippery. Watch out for injuries including drowning and paralysis, even with small amounts of water."

And then the UK one, which said "Competent supervision only." End of warning.

I wonder what that says about the different countries? (Apparently Americans are the only ones dumb enough to try diving in a kiddie pool, which considering the other warning labels I've seen here, isn't too surprising.)
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

CANNONBALL!!!

Oh darnit, look at the warning label.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi
      and I left them out to dry all night
      the pools or the girls? And yes, some Americans are that stupid. I saw a warning on a box of diapers that said to keep the child away from source of open flame.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

It says that we're smart enough not to try diving in a kiddie pool?
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I can't speak for Aussies or Brits, but I can say that Americans would try diving in those pools. And frankly, the Americans that would do that would either ignore the warning signs or would not have the ability to read them in the first place.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            .. or no one has sued them for it and won yet.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              the pools or the girls? And yes, some Americans are that stupid. I saw a warning on a box of diapers that said to keep the child away from source of open flame.
              Ok, thanks for a double-dose of giggling, Food Lady. I'm an English major. I should know better.

Quoth fireheart View Post
              Yeah, and apparently Brits don't even need to be reminded not to leave standing water in the pool overnight. Go figure.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
              X