• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do YOU Fondue?

Cooks to me!!!!

I need an amazing recipe that i can do in a slow cooker for a cheese fondue

Velveeta does NOT count!!!!

i want something with flavor, and maybe wine, and possibly a new cheese, but i want it to work with meats and fruit too -

my family is doing a "Fondue" (a la this place) themed pot-luck dinner

mom and dad are doing the chocolate dessert one, and the oil/wine "cooking" one... and no none of us have actual Fondue pots; which is why I'm doing the cheese one in a slow cooker;

everybody else is being asked to bring stuff to dip into the Fondues....
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

What cheese/alcohol do you have on hand? Or are you ok buying it for the dish?

I pulled up a NYT article on fondu, that covers a good range of possibilities. Page 3 has some Classics, including 3 that I always think of when I think of fondu, i.e., Cheddar Port, Cheddar Whiskey, Beer and Onions.

Comment

A traditional cheese fondue calls for a gruyere/emmentaler blend with white wine.
      My Space

Comment

I use apple juice instead of wine and it gives the fondue a subtle sweetness.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Here's my never fails cheese fondue recipe:

16 oz of any beer (I've used Budweiser, Busch and Michelob...no need for a fancy beer)
          4-5 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
          4-5 cups shredded swiss cheese
          1/4 cup all purpose flour
          heavy pinch salt (I use kosher salt, if using regular table about 1/4 tsp)
          black pepper to taste (1/2 tsp is a good start)
          1 tsp mustard powder
          2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely minced
          1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
          2 tsp lemon juice
          1 tsp grated horseradish (either fresh or the refrigerated kind. make sure it's just horseradish, not "prepared" horseradish)

Shred the cheese yourself, either using a standard box grater or the grating blade on a food processor. Do NOT use the pre-shredded cheese sold at grocery stores!

Put the cheese and flour in a gallon size zip top bag, seal and toss to coat the cheese with the flour.

Put the beer in the crock pot and heat on high until it's just under a boil (about 200 deg F). If you want to speed this up, you can heat the beer in the microwave in 1 minute increments.

Add the salt, pepper, garlic, mustard powder, and horseradish and stir to dissolve into the beer. Add Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice. Then add the cheese. Depending on how thick you want it, is why I put the 4-5 cups for each cheese. Don't add all the cheese at once, just about 1 cup at a time, stirring until it's melted. Once all the cheese is melted in, make sure you turn the temp down to low. Taste the fondue and add more salt/pepper if you think it needs it. If the cheese starts to "fry" at the edges, turn the temp off for a while.

I serve this with fresh veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower), chunks of granny smith apple,and bread. Cubes of ham and summer sausage also are great to dip in this.
          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Here's mine

Ingredients
            2 1/2 cups white wine
            3 cloves garlic, finely minced
            16 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
            1 pound Swiss cheese, grated
            3 tablespoons Kirsch
            3 tablespoons flour
            1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan, heat the wine and garlic to simmer. Combine the Gruyere and Swiss cheese and flour in a large bowl and slowly add the mixture to the wine.
            2. Stir constantly until the cheeses are completely integrated and melted. Add the Kirsch and stir.
            3. Pour the saucepan contents into the crockpot and sprinkle with the nutmeg. Cover; cook on high for 1 hour.
            4. Thoroughly mix the fondue, replace the cover and cook an additional 2 -3 hours until thoroughly melted and heated through.

Serves 8-12 people.
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
            X