This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where'd That Come From?

I have a date later this week. How the hell did that happen?

Background: My love life lately has been....well....nonexistent. About a week or two ago, I was out with Little Red and her boyfriend, and I was bemoaning this fact. And her boyfriend, who is kind of a tool but overall tolerable I suppose, asked me what I was doing wrong. I laughed and told him if I knew that, I would be changing it! And to his credit, he pointed out that perhaps I should start doing things differently.

Tolerable was right.

At that moment our waitress walked up. I looked up, and blurted out, "Good lord, you're beautiful." Direct and to the point. Not my usual subtle ways. She was flattered but, as luck wouldn't have it, she had a boyfriend. Of course she did.

More background: I tend to be so subtle as to sometimes be invisible. I have often said that I have no problem closing the deal, my problem is opening the door. And I've been too nice and too easygoing for my own good in that regard, allowing things to happen. Or in my case....not happen. So I decided to be a little more assertive, perhaps even a bit of an asshole, because Mr. Nice Guy wasn't finishing last, he wasn't even getting in the race.

Last night I was out with friends, celebrating the latest miracle in my life, and I was simply bursting with positive energy and was jazzed out of my mind. And we were at the newest bar in town, and our waitress was fairly cute. (Yes, I meet a lot of waitresses. Sue me, I live in a bar town and I eat and drink out a lot. To be fair, even if/when I hit on them, I'm not obnoxious about it. Well, not THAT obnoxious.)

And as our time there went on, we talked, and I realized she was intelligent and fairly fun. And I blurted out, "You're a blast. I'd like to take you out this week." I expected, "Oh, I have a boyfriend." I got instead, "Absolutely!"

So we exchanged numbers, and either Thursday or Friday night, I am taking her out...somewhere.

I was out with the same group of friends tonight, and the four of them all seemed to believe that the waitress had been totally into me.

We'll see. As with most things, I have high hopes and low expectations. It's a fairly good way to approach life without going bonkers, I think.

I still have to figure out whether it will be Thursday or Friday night, and where I'm taking her. It's not like Key West doesn't have a myriad of possibilities.

Wish me luck! Based on my recent track record, I'll need it!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Have fun!!!!!!!

Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Good luck, have fun, be your charming self.

Comment

I just have to not let my nerves get in my way, which sometimes result in what my friend Little K calls "creepy" behavior. Yeah, I can be a bit creepy at times. Unintentionally, of course, and quite harmlessly, but still a bit creepy.

(NOTE: Little K was one of the friends who was out with me that night, and she commented after the fact that the way I asked out the Cute Little Brunette Girl was very NON-creepy. She just about patted me on the head and said, "Good boy.")

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          She just about patted me on the head and said, "Good boy.")
          If she had you could have lolled your tongue out and gone "Arf! Arf!"
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Congrats!!!!

Now, if only I could find someone
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Well, IMHO, you're quite the catch, Jester. Waitress is *very* lucky to be going on a date with you! Hope it goes well!
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

*sigh*

I hate the fact that I overanalyze everything, and that I have these manic-depressive tendencies. To our younger audience members, manic-depression is the old name for bipolarism, from which my father suffered, from which I suffer tendencies of, such as having very high highs and very low lows emotionally, with very little middle ground.

Today was such an example.

From work at The Bar, I texted the Little Cute Brunette Girl (my apologies to Charlie Brown, but it fits), asking her if she was working today. She texted she'd be starting at 5, and as I knew I would bet getting out sometime between 5:30 and 7:30, I texted her that I'd have to come see her. To which she replied, "Sweet!!!". Yeah. I was stoked. And I figured I'd talk to her and get a better idea of where I'd be taking her on our date.

Well, I got out of work on the later side, and decided to drop my backpack in my truck, which took me past Little K's bar. So I stopped in for a couple beers. An hour later, having wound down from work and dropped my luggage off at the Jestermobile, I went over to her bar.

In which she was not.

As it turns out, according to a friend of mine that works there who was there when I got there, LCBG got cut early, around 6:30, a full hour before I finished with my work. (So my detour had no real bearing on having missed her.)

So I texted her that I was there, but she was not, and what a bummer that was.

No response.

A bit later, I texted her that I guess she got cut early, it must have been dead.

No response.

This was about 9:00-9:30.

So I had a couple beers at another bar, hoping to hear from her. Now it is 1:40, and my phone has been annoyingly silent.

Yeah, I know. There are a million valid reasons why she may not have responded. But based on her responses, and my friends' opinions that this girl had been all about me (I have trouble being objective about such things when I am directly involved), I figured I'd hear something.

See what happens tomorrow.

But due to my aforementioned tendencies, I have to admit, I am a bit down. Hopeful still, but down.

*sigh*

I hate this shit.

Next update as (and if) it happens.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Awwww man...that really is a bummer. You still rock though, for going out of your safety zone and asking her out in the first place. It's been a long time, but I remember the awkwardness of trying to start a new relationship well...chin up
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

My chin is up, and as Charlie Baltimore said, I'm not done yet.

Just because she didn't return my texts means nothing. Or it may mean everything, as it relates to me and her only. But in the bigger picture, it still means nothing. Because her or someone else, I'm not done yet.

I'm witty, fun, funny, charming, I cook, I dance, I don't cheat, I'm a romantic; I'm a great catch. Even if I do have a face made for radio.

Look, I survived having my heart broken by The Brit and being manipulated by the Worst Girlfriend Ever. That which has not killed me HAS made me stronger, and I get stronger every day.

This? If nothing comes of this, this is but a small speed bump in the road. I've been known to accelerate for speed bumps. It sucks, and I hate feeling like I feel, and I know why I feel like I feel and that it doesn't mean all that much, but in the long run?

I'm not done yet.

Hello. I'm the Jester. Basically......run.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Still not a peep from CLBG. Not that I have texted her again. That would be bordering on harassing or creepy, and I am not going to go down that road. But....meh. Just meh.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Another thought -- maybe she got swept up in the moment and really does like you but has managed to scare herself into silence. I have done that a few times, even with my now-husband...I pursued him somewhat, and finally got together with him, then all of a sudden I thought...what am I getting myself into? He noticed (of course) and was pretty hurt, but as you can see, it worked out. I just had to remind myself that I was in control, and if I wasn't happy, I could always end it. He definitely deserved a chance...and now we've been together over 15 years, married nearly 14.
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

A million possibilities, of course.

The latest: not much. Called her yesterday evening after I got off of work. Got her voice mail. Left a chipper message asking her to call me back, and left my number. Since then.....

<crickets chirping>

Still A Customer."

Comment

*sigh* I'm sorry, Jester. The waiting game really sucks. It's usually the guys that don't call back! In any case, I really wish she would just let you know she's not interested, if in fact that is the case.

A couple years ago, I met this guy and talked to him on the phone a couple times, but after thinking about it, there was stuff I just didn't like about him. So I just let him know, and he understood. It would have been easier to just ignore him, but I know how that feels to be on the other end of that, so I just told him the truth.

Ok, I feel weirded out giving Jester dating wisdom, so I'm going to slooooowly back away. Please give us updates!!!
                            "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                              Ok, I feel weirded out giving Jester dating wisdom, so I'm going to slooooowly back away. Please give us updates!!!
                              Why? I mean, I am great--no, fantastic, really--at giving others dating advice, but my own personal dating track record is hardly resplendent with brilliance. So I'll take any dating advice anyone has. I am neither too proud nor too full of myself to do so.

In other news..... <crickets chirping>

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X