Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe a scam, maybe not. Advice and opinions wanted.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a scam, maybe not. Advice and opinions wanted.

I just got a letter and check from the UK (I'm in the states) for $4450.00 and a letter saying there is a remaining $120,550.00 from some lottery I won. the check looks valid (all security features listed on the check are there, etc.) Where I'm kinda concerned (beyond "Holy crap where did this money come from") is letter came from the UK, letter address is Edmonton, Canada, and check is from Oklahoma, US. They want me to call a 1-877 number and talk to one of two someones (listed in the letter).

I guess my question is: Is this a scam, and what should I do?
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Wow that sounds like a scam. Call from a public phone of some sort. DO NOT HOLY JEBUS IN LADY GAGA give out any personal information, regardless of its' availability. If they want you to send money, fuck no. SCAM.
    Many wouldn't even bother calling them... but then some people get their jollies by messing with these types of folks.
    Wait. Lemme guess. You've never been to the U.K., nor have you been entered in any lottery whatsoever? SCAM.
    Do not cash the check. DO NOT. Do not send them 'leftover money from the check.'
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

SCAM. It's illegal (you can be brought up on racketeering charges) for US citizens to enter foreign lotteries. This page should explain more. DO NOT call any phone numbers in the letter.

http://www.fraudaid.com/scamspam/lot..._lotteries.htm
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-03-2011, 03:04 AM.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Unless you bought a ticket, I'm going with scam.

This one sounds like your situation: http://www.walletpop.com/2010/03/11/...am-looks-like/
        While the letter was full of tip-offs such as spelling errors, capitalization issues and a weird notice at the top claiming numerous financial services, the actual check was incredibly real looking; right down to a security image and perforated edge. One final glaring issue is the inclusion of three addresses and three businesses on the correspondence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lottery_scam
        http://www.snopes.com/fraud/advancefee/lottery.asp
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh, I'm sure it's all legitimate. After all, I support my own lavish lifestyle through random large checks I receive from foreign countries, not to mention all the international lotteries I've won. And we won't even talk about all the wills I've been named in. Why, just today I bought a brand new yacht to relax on with some of the money from my last check, which came from Luxembourg.

I have absolutely no idea why you would think such a thing is a scam.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Subtlety is not your strong point, Jester.

You cad, you.

BOT: I didn't know US citizens couldn't enter foreign lotteries. Learn something new every day!
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Did you enter a lottery or buy a ticket?

No?

Then it's a scam.

Quoth Jester
              Oh, I'm sure it's all legitimate. After all, I support my own lavish lifestyle through random large checks I receive from foreign countries, not to mention all the international lotteries I've won. And we won't even talk about all the wills I've been named in. Why, just today I bought a brand new yacht to relax on with some of the money from my last check, which came from Luxembourg.
              How many Nigerian Princes' fortunes have found their way into your bank account for safekeeping?
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Here's the FBI's page on fraud.

Take or send the cheque and info to your nearest FBI office. In the highly unlikely case that it's legitimate, they'll let you know and you can cash the cheque.

In the much more likely case that it's not, you've done the right/reasonable-man thing and are thus safe from being prosecuted as a participant in a fraud.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  How many Nigerian Princes' fortunes have found their way into your bank account for safekeeping?
                  82. Apparently I'm very popular with Nigerian royalty. Must be my charm and amazing knack for subtlety. There sure do seem to a lot of them, though. I had no idea the Nigerian royal family was so damn large!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
                    I just got a letter and check from the UK (I'm in the states) for $4450.00 and a letter saying there is a remaining $120,550.00 from some lottery I won. the check looks valid (all security features listed on the check are there, etc.) Where I'm kinda concerned (beyond "Holy crap where did this money come from") is letter came from the UK, letter address is Edmonton, Canada, and check is from Oklahoma, US. They want me to call a 1-877 number and talk to one of two someones (listed in the letter).

I guess my question is: Is this a scam, and what should I do?
                    SCAM!!!

It's a variant of the Nigerian 419 scam. If you call this number, you will be asked to send a "transaction fee" or other such to pay "taxes" and get the complete sum. Or, you might be asked to deposit a check and send the bulk back to the scammers, keeping a small profit for yourself.

When the check bounces, you are on the hook for the whole thing, and the scammers disappear.

What you should do is ignore it. You could give the check to the Attorney General of your state and let them investigate it from there. DO NOT CALL these people! They are good at spinning a story and will see any opening as a license to harass you and pressure you into sending them money. DON'T DO IT!
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

*nods* Another one that's been popular in the UK recently takes the form of e-mails sent out purporting to be from HM Revenue & Customs, saying you are due a sizeable tax refund. You are then asked to click on a link taking you to a page where you fill in your bank details for them to credit you with this amount....
                      Sure. Seeing as how HMRC never contact people by e-mail regarding tax rebates, only by letter. But alas there are too many who don't know that
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

It reeks of a scam to me. A letter claiming to be from the UK with a Canadian post mark and/or address on it and a check from Oklahoma asking you to call an 1800 number, definitely a scam.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

If it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, since he beat me to it, what Raps said.
                            "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

SCAM!!!!
                              Report it to the authorities
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X