This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news for the Shiloh Shepherd community

I feel really bad about this, I manage Fred Lanting's Facebook page and I wasn't able to get onto it for a while. When I logged on yesterday I found out that a good friend of his, Tina Barber (a.k.a. MaShiloh), the founder of the Shiloh Shepherd breed, died on May 30th. I feel bad because I didn't get the news to him until yesterday. I'm hoping someone close to her called him or emailed him and let him know back then.

I emailed with her quite a bit on the past getting information on the breed and she struggled very hard to save her breed. (Other people came in and started their own breed club and then started to take over AKC and UKC registries and took the breed in a different direction than what MaShiloh wanted it to go in). She was one of the most passionate dog breeders I've ever met.

If you get a Shiloh Shepherd, please stick with ISSR and not SSDCA.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I'm curious in the differences of ISSR vs SSDCA, and how they wanted to change the breed. Do you have any info or links?
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

First, I got the names wrong. the SSDCA is the parent club of the ISSR (the same people). The war is with a breeder (ISSC a.k.a. "silvers") and their puppy buyers who bred in some coated German shepherds and applied fr UKC recognition (these were bred in after the breed was recognized by the AKC). (Edit: I'm talking with Fred now to find out exactly what caused the split but he said the very short version was over "control vs. independence").

Since i manage Fred's website and had a calendar of where he would be on there I was cc'd on many many emails between him and Tina in regards to Fred's work with the breed. The ISSR invited Fred to judge their nationals on year and they later found out he wrote an article for ISSC comparing the two standards. The ISSR threatended to take back the invitation if the article published. That is how passionate this conflict is.

I'm also using this breed as an example why in the vlcak breed here in the USA the two clubs (CSVCA and UCSVC) need to work together to improve the breed and not concentrate on politics). Too bad we're already seeing some fracturing.
      Last edited by draggar; 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
      X