This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver Earthquake

I know Gravekeeper is taking some time off, but has anybody heard from him? I just saw stories online that they had an earthquake up in Vancouver. 6.4 - but they're saying no major damage. The plates apparently slipped sidways instead of up and down, so things weren't too shaken up.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

The epicenter was on the far side of Vancouver Island, about 120 km south of Port Hardy - my folks in Nanaimo felt it, I didn't realize that it was an earthquake - at the time I was crossing a street on campus and to me it felt like a very heavy dump truck was rumbling by.

My hometown newspaper: http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailyn...3-90c448115c79

More info: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak.../us/index.html
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 09-10-2011, 01:58 AM.
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I was in a pleasently medicated sleep and didn't feel a thing. I didn't even realise there was one till I read this topic >.>

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
        I was in a pleasently medicated sleep and didn't feel a thing. I didn't even realise there was one till I read this topic >.>
        Your cat didn't wake you? The only reason I were awake at the 4.7 quake we had in Copenhagen in December '08 was that both my cats panicked and tried to bury under me in my bed .

Comment

BALLS
          A 6.4 that close to me?? .______.
          I didn't even notice. (Granted, I'm closer to Utah than Washington... and thank beans my sister is in NM for a wedding... *she's near the Wa-Id border...)

Glad it wasn't too freaky near the actual area... Oy.
          Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 09-10-2011, 06:09 PM.
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Wow, you must have been taking fuckitall then. (props to whoever gets the joke)
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
              Wow, you must have been taking fuckitall then. (props to whoever gets the joke)
              Robin Williams if I remember right ;p

But its more that the other side of Vancouver Island is a heck of a ways from me. If I was at work I might have slightly felt it. But from home, not a chance, that's hours away.

They cat did wake me up several times, but she does that the closer it gets to treat time anyway so I ignored her.

Comment

Robin Williams if I remember right ;p
                Yup, props to you GK.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Japan experienced a 7.0 foreshock two days before the major 9.0 quake, two days later... I'm worried that the whole Juan de Fuca fault is about to unzip.

If'n I were you guys, I'd go take a vacation, maybe for a month...

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                    If'n I were you guys, I'd go take a vacation, maybe for a month...
                    I just came back from vacation. -.-

I'm actually pretty good where I live and Vancouver itself is ironically shielded fairly well by the island. Victoria and the island, however, would just get leveled by a major quake as they'd take the brunt of it and any tsunami that came with it.

The problem is Richmond, which is on mud flats. In a major quake the ground would just turn to liquid under it. Metro Van on the other hand, is actually on quite solid ground.

Comment

The problem is Richmond, which is on mud flats. In a major quake the ground would just turn to liquid under it. Metro Van on the other hand, is actually on quite solid ground.
                      When I moved from Vancouver to Toronto, I got a chuckle out of the name of one of the northern suburbs - Richmond Hill (to a Vancouverite, that's an oxymoron). Also, with one exception, all the Surrey jokes translate easily into Scarborough jokes - for some reason, "Living in North York means never having to say you're Scarborough" doesn't have the same ring.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X