This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house cat vs coyote...who would win?

accord to my vet.....shes convinced my cat will.

my furchild, now 3 years old, is fixed and becoming more and more an outdoor cat but still coming in to sleep.

well I decieded I had the extra money finally and got him microchipped.

he was put in his cat carrier, put in my car, and driven 30 miles to the clinic where my mom volunteers at the spay neuter clinic. when i got there he saw the other cats in cages 2 kittens just starting to fall asleep for surgery first thing....and an adult cat that had some major work done on its back leg (full cast from hip to foot), and started hissing and growling.

now...this is a 7 pound 3 year old cat that is very long and lanky....

we took him into the back to await the vet that was going to chip him.

and he calms down some....until they come in....even I cringed at the needle.

so...imagine if you will....3 full grown women vets all wearing heavy duty gloves, are ready to catch him from the carrier, and chip him.

well he want NONE of that...and shoots out of their grasp and down onto the floor. thankfully blocked from leaving due to the doors being shut.

well long story short they tell me they need to sedate him since they think he'll do more harm to himself unless they do something.

the way they captured him finally? cornered him, put the top of the cat carrier over him, and "persuaded" him into a smaller cage. sadly I had to leave for work at that point, but they said he would be ready to go home time mom left for the day about 3.

mom later told me that they commented to her that he had enough spirit and fighting energy to take on any animal and win....

thats my baby boy ^^
    Last edited by Sarlon; 11-27-2011, 10:44 PM.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Oh, wow. That pic reminds me of our Lightning. He spent his kittenhood climbing up my mom's curtains.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

thats a 34 inch wide door...

and hes annoyed at the human you can barely see the top of the head of....so hes all puffed up.

but i swear hes just long and lanky.
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
        but i swear hes just long and lanky.
        And part Greebo.

[/OGG]
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

He looks like a mini panther other than the socks.
          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

To answer the question - it depends on the cat. I know a few who'd probably take on a full blown Timber Wolf and win.

Nice looking cat. One of these days, I've gotta get a good picture of our Ninja cat.
            The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

I had a thirty pound Eskimo dog with an alpha personality and a fifteen pound Siamese mix cat. The cat was extremely powerful and very bad tempered. They hated each other.

We used to frequently have the discussion of "who would win?" I am convinced that unless the dog got off a lucky attack and killed her immediately with a broken spine or neck, she would have. In a pitched battle, she'd have cut him to bloody pieces.

Fortunately, they never put that theory to the test. But I have no doubt they both fantasized about it.
              Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

It's amazing how much damage an angry housecat can do. I wouldn't be surprised if, given an average cat and an average coyote, the cat would win.

On the other hand, coyotes rarely show up alone, and cats around here often get eaten.

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                  He looks like a mini panther other than the socks.
                  Hehe, I was thinking the same thing!
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
                    To answer the question - it depends on the cat. I know a few who'd probably take on a full blown Timber Wolf and win.
                    This. My cat has done battle with all of the following- A snake, a scorpion, countless centipedes, other cats, a skunk, a doberman, a basset hound, a hummingbird, a cactus, and a car. She's 15 now, starting to develop cataracts, and loves to snuggle on the couch with my dad, but she's still very much alive and well. However, she no longer messes with the following- Snakes, scorpions, skunks, hummingbirds, cacti, or cars.
                    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Then there's the cat that treed a black bear.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                        I used to have that picture up in my cube at work.

My cats have thankfully never caught anything other than mice and crickets. They are indoor cats, though, so who knows what they would get into if they got out into the world.

My first cat was an indoor/outdoor cat (he was a stray) and more than once he had to go to the vet because of infected scratches on his face from fighting with other neighborhood cats (sometimes under our deck, which was about a foot off the ground...my dad had to put some decorative fencing stuff around it to keep them out).
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          And part Greebo.

[/OGG]
                          Hah! Nice.

But only if he tries to mate with the coyote while eating it. Or the vet, for that matter.

Comment

I had a 24 pound alley cat that we rescued [he had previously been neutered so obviously he had been a house pet at one time, and was glad to be readopted. Hell hath no fury like me if I ever found the squid that changed duty station and abandoned a pet.]

The animal control officer told our neighbors that if they reported him for attacking their pit bulls, he would have to take the dogs, not the cat. They also nicknamed him Conan the Cat. He had raggedy ears, a number of interesting scars. We called him Fluffy
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                              The current cat did something similar a few years back.
                              Mom was out in the garden, cat was stretched out on the grass enjoying the sun when he pokes his head up and looks at some nearby trees and bushes very intently. Figured he'd noticed a bird or squirrel or something.

Out pokes the head of a brown bear, casually looking around.
                              With how the cat took off, you'd think he had seen a flock of wounded birds. ... Except that they were in the same direction as the bear.

Lots of noise of branches breaking as the bear flat out flees from this 12 pound ball of fluff with a pushover attitude. Seriously, if a yorkie or terrier dog (half his size) looks at him funny, he's trying to find the best place to hide.

Twenty or so minutes later, the cat casually walks out of the wooded area, head and tail very high in the air, looking VERY pleased with himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X