This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, This Was Certainly An Unusual Weekend

Calling it unusual doesn't really describe it, but it's the best word I've got. This whole post is a giant mishmash of things, and long, I apologize.

This actually starts on Wednesday: Our warehouse lost ability to ship, since it relies on having internet service, and we hadn't paid the bill since July. On Thursday, the internal connection went down for the same reason. We got all the bills paid, and service restored, sometime on Friday.

In the process, we found out that the person managing our network (coming from the other company that merged, and then backed out of the merger), wasn't cancelling service when stores got closed. We had about 35,000USD in past due bills. That was new levels of fun, and left me with no options for doing anything to fix anything. Just for the record, I really hate being in that kind of position.

Now, on to the weekend itself: Some months ago, Wife's maternal grandmother passed away. The family decided to hold the memorial service this past weekend (she was cremated, so the timing was not that important). We headed up on Friday, the memorial was Saturday, and we drove back today. About a four hour drive, so not too bad.

While driving up, my brain went around a bit, and realized that we would probably be passing by KiaKat's place of work. Wife checked, and sure enough, we were. This, at least, was a lot of fun

See, Kia has never met me in person. She's seen pictures, maybe, but those pictures look different enough (in them, I'm not wearing the hat I wear all the time). I decided to have some fun with her

We found the store, went inside, and I saw her at the counter waiting on someone. I could also tell that she had no idea who I was (no glimmer of recognition). So, we browsed and waited until she was free. I then went up to her and said "Excuse me." Her being the professional individual she is, she replied "Of course." I then asked "Does <lupo_pazzesco>'s real name keep an extra skillet back there you can use on me?" (those who stop by chat a lot will recognize the reference).

She had a look on her face that was pretty plainly "WTF?" while asking (and trying to remain professional" "what?" I asked again, she looked at me quizzically and said "Peds?" I said yes, and she came around the counter, hugged, and we chatted for a little bit.

She also helped wife buy a nice bottle of wine (sorry, Kia! It's not been opened yet. We'll let you know how it is, though).

The only thing to mar the visit was, actually, work. Right before we went in, I found out that we have been sued, lost, and a court order seizing (or freezing) assets has been issued. I don't know if I have a job, and won't know until Tuesday. All in all, not good (to make an understatement).

Saturday, the day of the memorial itself, I wound up reflecting a bit on mortality, family, and how these things interplay with each other. We were not there for a happy time. Despite that, the family was happy to see each other again. They had not gotten together as a family for a long while (around 10 years), so relationships were rekindled, emails exchanged, photos taken, etc. In many ways, a small family reunion was held.

Considering the nature of the person who was laid to rest, it was appropriate. She was the entertainer type. She loved to have people over, and would make a place for them to sit, to be comfortable, to eat, to be with family and friends. In some ways, it was like she was there, in the background, hosting one final get together.

This was not gallows humor. People were happy to see each other, to share company again. There was some sadness, but it was overwhelmed by the happiness of the people there.

In the shadow of death, happiness can be found. It's something stop, and consider. To pause and reflect. Selah.

It has been an unusual weekend, filled with ups and downs. It's winding down, though, and it's finally time for me to close out this post, but to do so with one more parting though: Make sure the people who matter to you know they matter to you. The time will come when all you will be able to do is think about how much they meant to you, and by then it will be too late to tell them. Don't miss your chance now.

Quoth Pedersen View Post
    We found the store, went inside, and I saw her at the counter waiting on someone. I could also tell that she had no idea who I was (no glimmer of recognition). So, we browsed and waited until she was free. I then went up to her and said "Excuse me." Her being the professional individual she is, she replied "Of course." I then asked "Does <lupo_pazzesco>'s real name keep an extra skillet back there you can use on me?" (those who stop by chat a lot will recognize the reference).
    Pure class.

The only thing to mar the visit was, actually, work. Right before we went in, I found out that we have been sued, lost, and a court order seizing (or freezing) assets has been issued. I don't know if I have a job, and won't know until Tuesday. All in all, not good (to make an understatement).
    That's a completely different type of class

Rapscallion

Comment

*gives Pedersen a hug and cookies* I hope everything gets better for you.
      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
      -----
      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the job thing, Pedersen.

Funerals are for the living, not the deceased. A family reconnecting and restoring bonds while sharing a mutual grief . . . that is the very definition of family.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

My condolences, again, about the wife's gramma. It's never easy, losing a loved one.

I can say a few things about The Visit:

1. My brain kept saying "no. no way it's him. nah. someone is screwing with me. HOLYSHITIT'SPEDERSEN!"

2. Definitely make sure you give that bottle most of a day before drinking it. It's a remarkable bottle, and I know she'll love it.

3. I'm still shocked how close you really are. And you better get your butt (and your wife) back up here sometime soon for fun.

4. That was thoroughly awesome, meeting you. And your job sucks. I'm still convinced that you'll find something a whole lot better.

And finally, yes, folks, he's exactly the same as he is online, and his wife is awesome as well.

Comment

Working...
          X