X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for my hols

Hi everyone.

I live in the UK and am on a sort of holiday in Santa Clara, CA for the week. Any adive for US customs or other stuff that might offend if I get horrendously wrong?

I know about the culture of tipping, 15-20%, but was just wondering if there was anything else.

Thank you xx

Hmm...I am afraid I don't know enough about the differences between British and American cultures to be of much help. I guess, avoid run down parts of the city after dark, hang onto your things close if you use public transport, and find an authentic Mexican place to eat while you're there? (California has GOOD Mexican food.) I'm afraid you may have to be a bit more specific about things you are wondering about.

Comment

Just remember that slag is different here than back home.
      "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

My experience is that the costs of eating out are far less than the cost over here for an equivalent meal - it's not just the conversion rate, but the cost of living as well.

Rapscallion

Comment

That's very true. You can find a fairly decent place to eat on the West Coast for under $15 a plate, sometimes under $10, unless you're ordering expensive seafood or steak. Oh, one other tip. You call crisps what we call chips, and we call "fries" what you call chips. Americans tend to be irritated by strangers looking at them, and most of us in the cities keep to ourselves. Although we can be friendly, too, so as long as you're polite, it's perfectly safe to ask for directions or something like that.

Comment

If all else fails, talk to people - they love our accents & will often forgive a lot because it a) helps mark you as not being local, and b) they love the accent
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

If you smoke, ask for a CIGARETTE
              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Working...
              X