This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my wife got some interesting mail

I retrieved the mail and noticed my my wife got a letter.....from Canada. When opened, I saw a check (from a bank in Indiana) and a letter (from a company in Minnesota). Scanning the letter, I realize it's a job offer from "Bestmark" to be a mystery shopper. The check was to cover training expenses plus $300 extra as advanced pay. The backside of the letter indicated that they needed more information including routing numbers, etc. If she had questions, I could call a 1-806 number or email them...at a gmail account.

Not being a fg moron, I called the real Bestmark from a number I found on their website (surprise! It wasn't an 806 number). The rep told me in no uncertain terms that this was a scam and they do not send people money unless they've done a shop for them. He suggested that I not try to cash it as the check was most likely fake.

Pretty much what I expected but I wanted to share it. It's the old scam detector's rule: If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Report that to the Post Office, they just committed mail fraud.

Comment

I think the FTC handles these types of scams as well...
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
        He suggested that I not try to cash it as the check was most likely fake.
        No definately a fake-especially if the letter-writer is asking your wife to send some part of that check back...my dim-bulb cousin fell for that scam a year or so ago.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I love the story of the guy that did deposit one of those fake checks, just to see what would happen. Think it was from a chain-mail scam or something, and it was a fake cashier's check for $95,000.

And the bank deposited it.

Googled the story, and I think this was it.

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/vie...d=11&page_id=2

Comment

The scary thing is, it can actually take weeks for the bank to figure that this check is worthless.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

yeah my Ex had that happen to her shortly after we split. she got a very authentic looking money order from some UK bank (Barkleys I think) for like 3000 pounds.

I tried to warn her that this was a scam but NO she put it into her account anyway (She tried to get me to deposit it in MY account. ashhhhhh NO WAY). in the meantime I tried to contact the bank via e-mail with as much information as possible including the money order number and all of the routing information and the fact that this was a VERY suspect MO. the reply I got back was very short "We are sorry buyt we only can communicate with legitimate customers of <bank>. Thank you."

well I guess they did not want to deal with forged MOs and such. my Ex's bank (about 6 weeks later) was told this MO was (no surprise here) fake AND because of the varying exchange rate my Ex lost $400 in the deal.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
              X