Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State agency that oversees pharmacies?

We've just discovered the 5th error the local pharmacy has made in doling out our medications since they took over 8 months ago. In our opinion, 5 errors is about 5 too many. But since they screwed up all 3 of my wife's medications in one go, I suppose you could only count it as their 3rd error.

They gave her 10 too few of her blood pressure meds and 10 too many of her anti-depressants, as well as 32 too many of one of her other meds. That would be 32 too many of a refill that should have been for 30 one-a-day pills.

They had shorted me by 30 pills a few months ago on my 60/month script, too. Granted, I noticed immediately because I get two 30 count bottles each month and they gave me only one. The guy who filled it simply took a '60 count' sticker and placed it over the words 30 count. They claim it's just a new guy who didn't know what he was doing. My impression is that one needs much schooling to become a pharmacy tech. Clearly that should include not just putting a sticker with a different number on the outside of a smaller bottle and pretending that changes the number of pills inside, right?

At any rate, in 5 years the old pharmacy had made 1 error on our prescriptions, an error which they caught and told us about with apologies, etc. The new place doesn't catch the errors, is surprised and confused when we complained about the last few, and I have to ask - how do they track inventory that they don't notice 30 pills too many or too few of controlled substances?

Not that I like changing to a pharmacy with a less convenient location, but these people need some serious oversight which they are clearly not getting. My wife wants to just complain to corporate. I'd like to take it a step above that and report them to whatever state agency handles their licensing because not only is this negligent, it could be deadly to someone who isn't paying close attention and needs their meds to survive.

So, having been long winded about it, does anyone know the regulatory agency in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that oversees pharmacies and takes consumer complaints?

Here's a link to the Massachusetts complaint resolution page, which includes links to several complaint forms in .pdf format.

And, for those of you from other states that have complaints about pharmacies, here's a page (pdf) that lists the agencies in charge of pharmacies for each state with website and complaint form links (you have to enter them by hand). Be aware, some of the information may be out of date.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This is a link to The Medication Error Prevention Page of the MA Professional Licensing Board for Pharmacists page.

There is a link on the right to E-Mail the Board.

Hope this helps.

SC

PS: If anyone else is looking for this sort of information, but lives in another state, my search terms were <state> Licensing Board Pharmacists.
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

. My impression is that one needs much schooling to become a pharmacy tech.
        Nope. The pharmacist has to have a degree, but the techs do not; they operate under the guidance of the pharmacist.

you may be interested in http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/ as well

Comment

Heh,

All of our links are to different parts of the same site.

I'm thinking that this is your best bet, Gerrinson.

SC
          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the help everybody!

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              Nope. The pharmacist has to have a degree, but the techs do not; they operate under the guidance of the pharmacist.

you may be interested in http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/ as well
              Any chance you're thinking of pharmacy assistants? Although it may be different over there -- in Canada, pharmacy techs most definitely do need schooling -- two years of it, in fact, AND if you want to be a 'registered' pharmacy tech you then have to go on to write more exams about controlled/targeted substances and narcotics, and your local (provincial) laws.

My understanding is that if you don't get your 'registered' status you drop down to a pharmacy assistant. Fewer responsibilities (and probably less stress) but also less pay.
              There are one-year programs for pharmacy assistants but I've also heard (but haven't verified) that it's possible to get a pharmacy assistant job with no formal training whatsoever.

In any case, the number of errors you've been exposed to is inexcusable. Definitely report them. They're not only unethical (apparently they figure you can't tell the difference between 30 pills and 60??), they're also endangering everybody who brings a prescription to them.

Comment

Gerrinson, I'm super glad you are being on-the-ball about your purchases. I'm assuming you open and check and count them right there at the checkout? Hope your delving into the sites provided helps not just you, but also the others who might be slipping through the cracks.

And the 30 for 60 pill thing? Wow!!! That plain and simple isn't lack of training, it's either unbelievable laziness, or maybe outright theft. Was the medication something valuable on the black market? He might have been trying to score the extra thirty for himself.

And thanks for the general heads up. If I can check for french fries before I leave Mickey-D's, I suppose I'd better make time to double check that expensive and health bearing scrip too.

Comment

I go to the pharmacy at Wegmans, and one of the things I like about them is the info page they give you includes a description of what the pill is supposed to look like, including type of pill (capsule, tablet, etc), shape, color, any writing on the pill, and even color of the writing. When I took regular medication I would always open the bottle and make sure the pills looked correct before I left; if I get a new script I check the info page and make sure the medicine looks like it should. (I also tend to look new drugs up online because I'm an anxious sort and like to make sure I know all the potential (highly unlikely) side effects and scare the bejeezus out of myself before taking anything. )
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    I go to the pharmacy at Wegmans, and one of the things I like about them is the info page they give you includes a description of what the pill is supposed to look like, including type of pill (capsule, tablet, etc), shape, color, any writing on the pill, and even color of the writing. *snip*
                    What a GREAT idea! My last pharmacy gave you written pamphlets on your meds but no photos.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                      What a GREAT idea! My last pharmacy gave you written pamphlets on your meds but no photos.
                      There wasn't a photo, just a detailed description. But it's really nice to be able to know they are giving you the right thing, when you don't know what it's supposed to look like. If it's a refill, you can just check that it looks the same as last time, but if it's something you've never taken before, unless you look it up in a pill book or online, you'd have no way to verify.

I've also had one instance where the doctor (nurse practitioner, actually) prescribed two drugs that had a potentially bad interaction (an antibiotic and an inhaler when I had "borderline pneumonia"); the pharmacist caught it and called the office for a different inhaler prescription (I actually caught it as well, because I looked them up on the drug website while my mom went to fill the scripts, and I was very glad when my mom came back and told me why the inhaler was different). The next week I went back for a checkup because I was still coughing/wheezing a lot, and they gave me 5 days worth of samples of a second antibiotic (while I still had a couple days left of the first), and I stopped at the pharmacy with all 3 drugs and asked the pharmacist to verify that they were all OK to take together. My health insurance actually has an affiliation with CVS, but I stick with Wegmans because I like that I really feel that I can trust them.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                      X