This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then WHY did we go through this????

Okay, I'm not sure if this should go in a different forum, but I need to get it off my chest. Right now I am so mad at my boyfriend I could scream. I get so frustrated with his work ethic. He's 55 and works in retail, but since 2013 started, he has called in sick to his job six times. That is unfathomable to me. I was raised that if you were conscious and mobile, you go to work. I understand the occasional sick day, and even an occasional "play hooky" day. But six in two and a half months seems unreasonable to me.

And then today happened.

Since November, I'd been trying to help him get a different job with one of my regular customers. Another retail job where he would have a greater potential for advancement. This is something he asked me to do, mind, not something that I'm pushing. I'd spent hours helping him write his resume, fill out the online applications, setting up his email accounts, etc. since he doesn't have a computer. Everything was going well. He passed everything with flying colors and he was offered the job.

I get back from vacation today, and my customer who hired him comes to my window and says "So what happened with _____?"

I said "What do you mean?"

Apparently, my boyfriend had a hiccup with one of the emails that the company sent not going through, and he took it as a "sign". He went in and turned down the job. After four months of trying to get it. After attending orientation. After me vouching for him to one of MY customers. After spending the majority of our last date (my birthday) on the phone and computer doing paperwork. He turned down the damn job.

Grr.... Prison orange is not your color.... Prison orange is not your color.... Prison orange is not your color....

I'm angry right now, and so I'm venting. In a lot of ways, he is wonderful. I guess my mistake is expecting that because he is so much older than me (I'm 29), that he is automatically more mature and responsible or that we have the same values. I just hate that we went through so much work for nothing.

Quoth Rhania506 View Post
    *snip* I guess my mistake is expecting that because he is so much older than me (I'm 29), that he is automatically more mature and responsible or that we have the same values. I just hate that we went through so much work for nothing.
    I would say that's a fairly accurate recognition of your -- erm -- possibly over-optimistic assessment of him.

And frankly, from the sounds of it, YOU did a lot of work for nothing. I know you're not asking for advice but ... perhaps next time, you could leave the bulk of the work of applying for a job to him. Among other things, it will give you a good idea of just how much he really wants the job.

As somebody who's a couple of years older than your boyfriend, I would have been hard put to restrain myself from going out and buying a leg of lamb (... anybody catch the reference ... ? )

Just keep reminding yourself that prison orange is not your colour.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      I would have been hard put to restrain myself from going out and buying a leg of lamb (... anybody catch the reference ... ? )
      Would you be thinking of a certain Tale OF The Unexpected there?
      Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

omg sounds like my boyfriend. So unmotivated. He has a job but it pays shit and he really needs to get another one. He does nothing but bitch about this one. But does he even TRY to find another one? hell no that would mean DOING something.

If he ever gets fired for some reason I will have to chant "prison orange is not your color" as well.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          As somebody who's a couple of years older than your boyfriend, I would have been hard put to restrain myself from going out and buying a leg of lamb (... anybody catch the reference ... ? )
          Quoth Cazzi View Post
          Would you be thinking of a certain Tale OF The Unexpected there?
          Short Story by Roald Dahl entitled "Lamb to the Slaughter". Many (if not all) of his adult stories were made into episodes of various TV series, including Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Tales of the Unexpected.

SC
          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Sounds like my ex-GF, she refused to even consider a job more than 1000' from her residence (keep in mind, I never traveled less than a mile for a job). What her complaint was I may never know as I can't recall her ever holding one for more than 4 months.

I feel you pain, Rhania.

Did anyone else notice how BF didn't tell her and she found out second-hand?
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I didn't, but that looks terrible. (It might not be, though, as I don't know this guy.)
              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
              -----
              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                *snip*

Did anyone else notice how BF didn't tell her and she found out second-hand?
                Now you mention it ... no, I hadn't noticed ...

Comment

Yeah, he still hasn't called me about it. Granted he hasn't called me at all since Thursday. But I was sick so maybe he didn't want to tell me then (she says optimistically).

Comment

That would be a deal breaker for me.

Comment

I have learned from experience that older does not mean wiser or more mature. My ex was 11 years older than me and always had money to go out for a beer or six but couldn't pay his bills (and failed to inform me of that fact until it was too late....every time). At least he could keep a job...

And at least I can say that I am wiser after that relationship.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Sounds like your ex and mine could be related, BE. She liked to remind me of her age (10 yrs. my senior)...acting it was another story
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

55 huh? If he had pulled something like that on me, he wouldn't have lived to see 56.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Rhania506 View Post
                            Yeah, he still hasn't called me about it. Granted he hasn't called me at all since Thursday. But I was sick so maybe he didn't want to tell me then (she says optimistically).
                            I'd say if he doesn't mention it, bring it up casually, his answer should tell you how trustworthy he is.
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                              That would be a deal breaker for me.
                              Same here. I'm wondering if he knows (or has strong suspicions) that his error has become "known" and is trying to figure out what to do next ...

Comment

Working...
                              X