This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck head gasket bolt

Hubs and I recently bought a 1996 T-Bird that needs a new head gasket. We're of the variety that prefers to DIY car repairs unless it's something we really can't do, so we thought we'd do it ourselves.

Well, we got all of the necessary bolts off except one. It has withstood four different grown men tugging at it, WD-40, the heavy-duty version of WD-40, impact wrench, and even application of heat, and it hasn't budged a bit in the two weeks we've been trying. There aren't any other parts keeping it from budging, so we really don't know why it won't move. At this point, it looks like even taking it to a mechanic would be futile. Is there something we're missing?
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

I've heard of people knocking the crap (straight down) out of those bolts trying to get them free. That is, before they give up...and get out the grinder

BTW, how hot did you get the bolt? Getting it so it's glowing, letting it cool, and then trying the impact driver again might be all you need.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Hubs was outside with my grandpa (who had all the tools) working on it earlier and he says that that's exactly what they tried. We might end up having to cut it off but this particular bolt, from what I gather, is dangerously close to some gas lines.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

A low-tech approach is a hammer and chisel. Probably a last resort though.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

*sigh* Hubs already tried that too, sadly. He's ready to put it all back together and sell the darn thing.

Comment

If it's rusted you could try hot sauce. I keep hearing that suggested.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Sounds like the bolt might have been threaded in wrong when the engine was last worked on. If it's that bad off, you're probably going to have to have a sleeve inserted and the bolt hole re-tapped once you finally get it out.

My mechanic would be bringing out the drill to bore out the bolt at the point you're stopped at. Right after trying the longest cheater bar he could get access with.

Comment

Hubs is trying a new kind of heavy-duty WD-40 before he decides what to do with it once and for all. I'll keep you guys updated.

Comment

If it is a bolt through the head into the block, then applying WD40 and heat to the head not going to help.

Cut the bolt head off. Remove the engine head. Now apply the WD40, heat, etc. Weld a nut to the top of the bolt to give you something to grip.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Hello, this probable sounds weird, coming from sewing machine forums, but apparently a very good alternative to WD40 is a equal mix of acetone (flammable) and auto transmission fluid.
                    Please (obviously) google research this yourself, and use at your own risk

Comment

Working...
                    X