Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In a couple of weeks, might have two offers -- how to decide...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a couple of weeks, might have two offers -- how to decide...

Ok, I might (and I emphasize might) have a couple of job offers in a couple of weeks.

If I get offered both of them at about the same time, and almost all things are equal, I'm trying to figure out which one I'd take.

One of the positions is in a building I can see from my desk. The other one is further up the street.

It's not really like I can quit my current job and try both of them out, first.

I say "almost all things equal", because one will be a slightly longer drive, mileage wise, but they both might be about the same time-wise.

So I'm trying to figure out how to decide. I guess the "face to face" interviews (should I get to that point) will help me a little bit more.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Definitely ask a lot of questions at the interviews.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      Definitely ask a lot of questions at the interviews.
      What I'm really trying to find is a "market value" salary thing online for my area, so I can use that as a basis for salary negotiations, too.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        What I'm really trying to find is a "market value" salary thing online for my area, so I can use that as a basis for salary negotiations, too.
        Is the field of work something that could be under an Union (but not necessarily?) If so, you could contact the union and ask what the pay range could/should be by their opinion, and use that as a benchmark.

Otherwise, if possible, look the companies up on glassdoor.com and see whether there are reviews for them. If way too many reviews talk about low pay scale, take that into consideration.
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
          Is the field of work something that could be under an Union (but not necessarily?)
          No, I don't believe so.

Otherwise, if possible, look the companies up on glassdoor.com and see whether there are reviews for them. If way too many reviews talk about low pay scale, take that into consideration.
          Glassdoor is all over the place. I've checked around for other sites regarding salary, and can't find much. Indeed has a few things, but those salaries only show up if the people who work there actually put them in.

A friend of mine did send me a small PDF with local area salaries on it. So I may have to try to gather as much of that info as I can, and see if I can maybe average them out or something if I get to the final steps of negotiation.

Comment

Working...
          X